Goldcar Rentals Spain

Posted:

avoid this company

Goldcar Rentals Spain
Spain
My experience of this company is similar to many others. As soon as they have your credit or debit card details, they will find any way possible to debit additional charges, wherever and whenever possible.

The car they gave me at Girona Aiport was actually a nice, clean Seat Ibiza. No complaints at all with the car and I already knew about the "full tank of fuel" and similar scams. All of these seem to be common practice - methods of getting as much money as possible from you.

I returned the car at 8:00pm on the evening of departure and was given the exact location for leaving the car at Girona Airport. However, the car park was completely inaccessible - I was driving round and round Girona Airport, trying to find the entrance and noticed three other three other rental cars, all having the same problem. I spoke with a couple of these holiday makers and, like me, they had no idea what they should do. The entrance to the car park had been deliberately blocked!

Time was becoming very tight, so I eventually pulled up outside the main airport entrance and managed to find a GoldCar employee in the terminal building. He didn't seem at all surprised with my problem, telling me to give him the keys and he would park the car.

Surprise surprise, a few days later, when back in the UK, a further £40 had been debited from my card. After disputing the charge with my bank, I discovered that this was an "additional parking charge at Girona Airport, since the car was not returned properly".

Prior to contacting my bank, I had tried to telephone and contact GoldCar on dozens of occasions. They never answer the phone.

Just be aware that, as soon as this company have your card details, there are probably 1001 different little scams and methods to extract additional money from you. They debit your card freely and, seemingly, for any amount they choose - without any prior contact or warning. Trying to contact them from the UK is completely pointless.
Complaint comments Comments (1)    Updated: Complaint country Spain Complaint category Travel & Vacations

Comments

A  9th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes
Goldcar in barcelona just just informed us by email that they intend to charge us 30 euros "administration fee' for dealing with a fine that we incurred whilst on holiday - we paid in full at the roadside - They say that it's in the contract - buried in the very small print I suspect
Given that they also tried to palm us off with an unroadworthy car and charge us more for insurance that we thought we had already paid I would heartily not recommend them at all!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree