Godaddy.comdefault auto-renewal

Over the past several years, I purchased a number of domain names from GoDaddy.com but always let them expire after a year b/c I had not used them. Apparently, too many people did this so they started a "default" auto-renewal payment program, which I wasn't aware of.

I paid $21 for three domain names in June, 2008 but never did anything with them. Then, my credit card was billed $32.64 for automatic renewal in June 2009.See Top 10 Worst Companies in Houston, TXWhen I called to dispute the charge, they said they had emailed me three times and called once to inform me of the pending renewal. Even though the email address was correct, I DID NOT get a single notification, nor did I get a phone call.
They would not credit my account - and the guy acted like he was doing me a big favor by turning OFF the automatic renewal. GODADDY IS A RIPOFF and doing business in a very unscrupulous manner. Everyone should be aware of these tactics.
Thanks,
Kathy Black

Comments

• El
      Dec 09, 2009

This happen to me. Ordered 2 domains 2 yrs ago. I set it up in 07. I got a renewal notice that it was expiring and I needed to renew. I did't renew. Guess what I got. A charge of the next two yrs for the domains I don't use. I contacted them and they said they can't issue a credit. BEWARE!!! When you order they put you on an automatic renewel and you have to change it. I will never do business with them again and I'm writing to the Better Business Bureau.

Mar 29, 2010

I did not agree to auto renewal with godaddy. They sent me an e-mail stating if I did not renew I would lose my account, so I didn't and they renewed my account anyway and charged $167 to my credit card bill.

Aug 27, 2010

I had the same experience. I've always let domain names that I didn't want to renew expire, and now all of a sudden 2 names auto renewed. I argued, and they said too bad. I don't understand why I got all the emails saying they were nearing expiration! And all these red exclamation points in my account saying they would expire. And then they renew anyway!