Gmac Financial Services / cashed check and refused to credit car loan account

I mailed a check to gmac on 3/14/2009 for my car loan account that I have with gmac. Gmac cashed this check on 3/19/2009 for $318.72. I have the cancelled check from the bank. Then, gmac sent me a letter saying that they will not credit this amount to payment of my car loan because the check was to 'gmac insurance' and not to gmac even though the check had the correct account information on it. I then asked gmac to refund this amount to me and they have refused to return it. So, they cashed my check and kept the money, refused to credit this payment to my car loan account, refuse to return this money to me and have refused to return my calls so far. I have sent them all the paperwork. Any suggestions?

Mk

Comments

• Jz
      18th of May, 2009

Would suggest that you ask to speak with a supervisor (you have to talk to a supervisor before you can talk to a manager). Explain the situation and ask the supervisor, then the manager, if he/she would like to explain to the Controller of GMAC where the funds were applied. If they say they have not applied them, ask them why they have had an open item since 3/19/2009 because this is exactly what the Controller is going to ask and you are forwarding your complaint.

If no success, send to: