Geico / geico commercials, bilking customers out of legitimate claims

This complaint is prompted by GEICO's latest ###ic commercial, the one with the woman's unexpected blood-curdling shriek. This is very annoying and jarring to me, but I have a friend who is caring for a mother with Alzheimer's, and the poor old lady becomes very upset and begins crying when it comes on.

I have been very displeased with GEICO ever since hurricane Katrina. Before that I had been a loyal GEICO customer for over 25 years. A few days before Katrina was even a threat, I drove to my sister's house who lives in Destrehan just outside of New Orleans, parked my car there, and we both flew from the New Orleans airport to visit our other sister in Virginia. I contacted GEICO immediately after the hurricane, and since I had rental insurance, was instructed to fly back to Mobile, or nearby and rent a car until my car could be retrieved and was assured that I would be reimbursed. I did that, and one month afterwards, the roads to where my car was parked were finally accessible. There was no flooding in that area of Destrehan, and my car was in perfect condition.

GEICO then claimed, because my car was not damaged, there would be no reimbursement for the rental. I had no way of knowing until then the condition of my car, and even if I did, I still wouldn't be able drive it, because I couldn't get to it for a full month. I had the person's name who I had initially spoken to, who never was available, they told me, to speak to me again, and I was told that even if I was given the incorrect information, this charge, which was over $900, would not be covered. I asked over and over again to speak to management, culd never get through, and was told my claim would go before a board, and more than once, was denied.

I thought this was despicable on the part of GEICO, and after 25 years, I cancelled the policy. I took out a policy with Allstate, for increased coverage, at a savings of over $350 a year. I think GEICO denies claims that they shouldn't to help pay for barraging the airways with those ridiculous commercials.

Comments

• Up
      12th of Jun, 2009

YOU CHOOSE TO DO BUSINESS WITH 1-800 STRANGERS WHO WORK OUT OF CUBICLES FOR A COMPANY THAT ANSWERS TO STOCKHOLDERS AND YOUR SURPRISED ABOUT BEING TREATED LIKE A NUMBER???

• Ge
      10th of Jul, 2009

Actually it is nothing personal to you but your rental coverage is only for the repair time of your vehicle. It is not for when you are away from your vehicle, even if its because of a major catastrophy. I'm happy you found an insurance company that is cheaper and with better rates but you should understand your policy before you complain on a message board. Geico is one of the few companies that the people actually do not mind helping people, we love it actually. BUT we have to abide by the policy. Like I said, its nothing personal. If we had reimbursed your rental who's to say other people might try to claim the same thing fraudulently. Say someone goes out of town on vacation and rents a car, then tells us a similar story. Are we supposed to make an exception for everyone? I repeat, the rental coverage is for the repair time only of your vehicle, nothing more.