Geico / insurance practices

1 United States

I solicited GEICO for an insurance quote and was given a good rate so I agreed to use them. I was instructed to send the initial downpayment amount of $125.00, which I did promptly overnighting it. Three days later, I received my insurance card and policy. Two weeks later, I received a check from them for $175.00 with no explaination. When I called I was told I had overpaid the downpayment. I told them I only paid $125.00 but was told the difference was interest. I deposited the check into my checking account. One week later I received a cancellation notice, which no one could explain and the next day I received a bill for $248.00. When I questioned the bill, I was told it was for the time I was covered until the account was cancelled. I told them I would not pay this amount since they screwed everything up. I was told I would be taken to court. "Go ahead" I was contacted shortly after by a collection company - I later found out was a subsidiary of GEICO threatening to freeze my accounts. I told them I needed all the information they had as I was planning to sue GEICO and surprisingly, I never heard from them again.

Ed