GE Money Bank / Returned check fee due to input error!

1 PO Box 960061Orlando, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-424-6231

On 12/16/07, I attempted to make an online payment using GE Money's web site, paying the balance in full roughly one month prior to the end of the promotional period. In noticing the payment did not clear my checking account on 12/19, I contacted the Customer Service area and spoke with a representative. In reviewing the payment information, he indicated that (per his records) the ABA routing data was correct, but per his file, I had inadvertently (or had I?) input an incorrect digit in my account number. He indicated that he would make a note of the input error in the file, and did NOT indicate that a fee would be assessed. He also offered to make the payment for a fee ($15) over the phone, but he confirmed that the payment did not have to be received until mid January to avoid finance charges, so I opted instead to use a statement I had and mail a check in, which I did immediately following my conversation, still with WEEKS to go before expiration of the promotional period.

On 12/20 the above referenced account was assessed a $29.00 Returned Check Fee related to the attempted online payment, despite my having spoken to them on the 19th.

As the information to post a correct entry was provided to GE Money Bank on the 19th, AND I expressed a willingness to have the correct transaction processed at that time (but not for an additional fee), I have been attempting to contact the customer service area to reverse the $29.00 fee upon receipt of my check for the ORIGINAL balance (pre $29 charge) to clear the account balance. At this time I am still trying to make contact with GE Money Bank, but based on others' complaints, I hold little hope for a satisfactory resolution. It appears that they thrive on making it difficult for customers making on time payments in full, and interestingly, afford customers no way to reach customer service online via email, instead forcing interminable waits on their "customer (non) service" line.

I am even wondering whether I actually made an input error, or if GE Money Bank intentionally created the error to generate a return item fee (and possibly finance charges and late fees had I not noticed the error until receipt of my bank statement in January).

Comments

29th of Dec, 2007

This same type of error recently happened to me. I had sent an online payment well before it was due, and received an e-mail saying that it was cleared. On my next bill, I had a returned check fee and late fee. I had my bank information SAVED on the website and sent it in just like every other month, and they claim it was my error. I called their customer service number, and I could not get someone who spoke fluent English. They just kept reading the prompts they are supposed to read when they hear certain phrases. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they refused, kept interrupting me, and eventually hung up on me. I know that the reversed payment was GE's "mistake."

6th of Feb, 2008

I, too, was charged for a late payment sent from my bank although I made the payment within the bank's suggested deadline to reach GE on time. GE could not give me any information to explain why they did not credit my payment.

I didn't know that so many people had these kinds of problems with this company.

• Al
      22nd of Mar, 2008

This happened when i whent to pay off and account 4 years ago and i gave the numbers toa indian on the phone. They are still demanding intrest latefee and bad check fees, as well as an over the phone charge that they never said anything about to the tune of 900.00.

• Je
      16th of Sep, 2008

I saw your post on the board - I am going through the same thing now. I made a small payment a couple of week’s before the payment was due to avoid interest and then went in to pay it all off a week before. The payment section auto-filled in the account information with **** for the first 4 characters. I assumed it did it that way on purpose. Submitted payment. Never cleared. Checked back in about 8 days and had fees, interest and they blamed me. Do you recall if yours auto-filled in too? Wondering if system is set up to deceive. I cannot go check because my account is locked out for sending a bad check and fraud department is all over me (even though payment was corrected and made same day I found out it was wrong).

• Vo
      15th of Oct, 2008

I too paid off an account with Ge Money Bank for a Rooms To Go and a Care Credit account. The Care Credit pay off check i sent in was submitted fro less than it was written for to the bank. I received a bill from Ge Money for $200.00 plus finance charges. They refused to do anything about it so I called my bank asked them not to resubmit the check and only paid the balance that was not submitted. I refused the finance charges. The Rooms to Go account was paid off I received a letter saying my account was settled for $1000.00 but was actually almost 3000.00. Called they said couldnt find my information and was put on hold and they never came back to the phone. They are scam artists!!!

• Sh
      31st of May, 2009

GE Money is a real joke, they call and tell you that your payment is late and need a payment so you give them your debit card number by phone and bye bye money you never paid them. Then the phone calls start at 8:00am and run thru 10:00pm 7 days a week. If you pick up your phone you're the bad person, oh and then you can't understand a dang thing they say gr...
    Now they state that your debit card is no good, but you can watch them take $1.01 from it 6 times in one night. I mean what the dang, Scam artist is right. How do i turn them in, I've had it with them...

• Ga
      1st of Feb, 2010

I had the same exact problems. Mine included a complaint about the actual transaction being fraudulant. I filed complaints with (1st) GE Moneybank where they sided with the crooked merchant, (2nd) a BBB complaint where they did not enforce my rights, finally 3rd I sued that merchant (A Dentist) in small claims court, I won that case, got paid and now still having many problems settling with GE Moneybank. I cannot get the fair interest reversal and this is one big nightmare. Does anyone in this country regulate banks anymore???
    I'd love to hear from an attorney who can go after these creeps asap. Help! Help!

• St
      19th of Jun, 2010

I paid in full on the day it was due and they said it was 2hrs. late so they charged me $39 for a $0 balance for 2 hrs late according to them. Then they changed my billing to e-bill. I received an e-mail from them stating I had a statement arrive. I never checked because it was $0 balance. Another month I get another e-mail.

One day a paper bill comes in and it is from World Market. I happen to open it and I am 60 days late with alte fees and penalties on a $0 balance. It totaled around $96. I have never been a day late on my accounts and this shows up.

My credit limits to everyine has been lowered due to the recent delinquencies. n My Home Depot went from $9000 limit to $600. I am getting credit servce letters. They suck!