Ge Money Bank / Care Credit / Be Warned!

1 FL, United States Review updated:

This company is presented by dentists, doctors, vets, etc. to help people cover costs when they don't have the cash to pay for them.

In an emergency many of us have little or no choice. For example, a person desperate to save a pet's life or in need of an emergency root canal may find Care Credit to be the only real option.

I'm okay with this, I could even deal with a higher interest rate. But to charge a HUGE rate of about 30% THEN charge a MONTHLY "finance charge" of almost $40 per months, is effectively bleeding consumers dry for years to come.

If a person can't pay for services at the time of visit, how will they ever pay this card off? This sort of thing should be illegal!

Care Credit could easily provide this service at a lower rate and ditch the finance charge and people would happily use this service forever. Instead, we are resorting to these postings and searches for class actions.

This company preys on the hardships and tradgedies of it's clients. This is NOT okay.

Comments

• Mc
      21st of May, 2011

Bate and Switch: The same thing has happened to me. I paid off the promotional balance, on time with money drawn off my Health Savings Account on time-in plenty of time to not incur the interest on the medical bill. They rejected the payment without my knowledge. About two weeks after I paid off the bill, I get a "courtesy" call stating that I had missed a payment. I was flabbergasted. I called the company. The customer service rep was an idiot, telling me that GEMB does not accept payments from Health Savings Accounts. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, she hung up on me. You don't hang up on me unless you want to hang yourself. So I have filed three complaints to the BBB. GEMB also conducts business in multiple states, so the consumer doesn't know who to deal with. I have had communications from them from FL where you send your payment, to OH where you send in complaints that fall on deaf ears, and now from some woman in SD(Darcey Segatti West, Corporate Specialist, Consumer Relations). The latest communications I received from GEMB states, "unfortunately, GEMB does not accept payments from HSAs submitted as a debt" even after I called my bank. My bank told me that I can use the money in my HSA to pay off any bill I want. The designation HSA is only for IRS purposes, not GEMB's purposes. It's simply a checking account. Money is money. My bank resubmitted with the very same account information I sumbitted to GEMB on 04/14/2011, and GEMB took my money from the very same account I used the first time. So which is it? Do they accept money from health savings accounts or don't they? This is just another example of greedy credit card companies engaging in unethical billing and collection practices, trying to stiff the consumers. I am warning everybody, "Do NOT get talked in to using a GEMB card to pay any doctor or dentist." It isn't worth the harassment. Medicaid patients don't have to even pay a copay if they don't have the money, so why are working class consumers being forced in to contracts with companies like GEMB? To Mary K: GEMB doesn't have to cancel my card, I cut the blame thing up and threw it in the trash!
    Please send my any email communications to tmcnei50@yahoo.com if you have any more hassle from GEMB. I think a class action law suit against the company is in order mys elf after reading that suggestion on this board. Apparently, GEMB is engagin in unethical billing and collection practices across the board. I will NEVER use that card again and stick with my own money market account at BB&T, a bank that I trust and knows me.

• Ka
      19th of Jan, 2012

Is there a collected effort forming against this company?