Ge Money Bank Care Credit / Did not receive 1st bill etc

• December 2006: In response to an ad for a free exam, I called Dr. Donald M Fox’s office (915 Court St, Clearwater, FL) to make an appointment for my daughter. Debbie Fox answered the phone and urged me to come in right away even though I told her I wanted to make the appointment for January after daughter’s 12th birthday.
• At the “free exam”, Dr. Fox examined daughter and presented a report. Debbie explained the report; she stated my daughter would need an expansion retainer then braces to correct her teeth and that it would take 18-24 months.
• Debbie asked about insurance. I explained that I am a low income customer and my children were covered under the State of Florida Healthy Kids/CompDent Plan and that I had checked to see that Dr. Fox was on the list of approved providers. Debbie said that treatment isn’t covered by CompDent, however, their office would give us a 25% discount. She said the “free exam” was now a “consultation” which is not free. She charged $198.75 which I paid in full by check. She referred me to Care Credit by GE Money Services to cover the treatment cost. I told her I’d like to get an estimate from more than one credit company.
• That afternoon, I applied for two credit accounts and was approved by both companies. Debbie was notified of the approval and called me right away to come in and sign paperwork for CareCredit. I told her I wanted to use Capitol One because it had a lower interest rate. She told me that she was not happy with that bank or their terms and encouraged me to go with CareCredit by GE Money Services because they are easier for her to work with. I was reluctant, but agreed to do what she wanted because she was so adamant.
• Debbie explained the total cost for treatment was $6,420, but Dr. Fox would honor a 25% discount since I was a low-income customer. That brought the fee to $4,815, but then she added on $433.00 (not sure for what – can’t read her handwriting) so the total was $5,248.00 which they charged my account in full right away January 11, 2007 even though I had not received services yet.
• In mid-February I received a phone call from the CareCredit GE Money Bank collections department, notifying me that my account was past due. I told the customer service representative that the account was brand new and couldn’t possibly be late. I had not used the account yet and I had not yet received a statement. She verified my address, etc. I continued to receive phone calls from CareCredit collections dept over the next few weeks. I told them I still hadn’t received a statement and asked if I could view the statement online. They said I was not allowed to create an online id to view my statement since the account was in default. I worried it wasn’t really them, but a phishing scam so I refused to pay via telephone.
• Eventually, I received my first statement. It was dated March 3, 2007. The account was delinquent and overlimit (with fees). Furthermore, my interest rate went up from 11.9% to 28.990%. I tried resolving the issue via letters and phone calls, but had to give in and pay what they demanded for fear of reporting to a credit agency.
• Meanwhile, daughter received an expansion retainer February 26. That is the only service we’ve received from Dr. Fox. A $5,248.00 upper expansion retainer.
• I have written letters, made phone calls and sent extra payments to Care Credit. They refuse to lower the interest rate or acknowledge the first statement was not received by me.
• Recently, I called to complain again and beg for a lower APR. I asked to speak to a supervisor, Kim, who asked me what does “being a single working low-income mother” have to do with my “delinquent account”. I explained to her that this account is unfairly expensive to those who can’t afford it most. Furthermore, it is common sense that a person in my situation has very limited time to deal with even this type of injustice. Dr. Fox’s office knew I was a low-income single mother with no support and it was reflected on my GE Care Credit application. The GE Money Bank account representative working with Donald and Debbie Fox was fully aware.
• My account is not in default, nor has it ever been in default according to my records and the credit agency records. I did not receive statements in a timely manner, I was not allowed to sign up for an online account right away. When I did, I signed up for the automatic payment…which conveniently never happens. Furthermore, I’ve sent way more than the minimum payments even though I cannot afford it, in an effort to reduce the amount of unfair finance charges.
• Most importantly, it was not clear to me, the low-income consumer applying for a loan to cover a necessity for my child, that a payment received 1 minute past the due date would result in a 28.99% APR that lasts the life of the account. I agreed to accept this loan on the basis of an 11.99% APR and a fixed payment of $138.00 per month for 4 years. My credit reports correctly show this account has never been 30 days late.

Comments

Ca
  13th of May, 2008
GE Money Bank Care Credit - RUDE PEOPLE
GE
Pontiac
Illinois
Phone: (815)844-7818

I agreed to sign up with Care Credit through GE to be able to get dental work done. When you call them some of their employees are very rude on the phone.
They don't want to listen to what you have to say. They are only interested in saying in what they have to say. Some of them really have attitudes.
I wish I never had to use them and have closed my accounts but still have to pay what I owe. I would not recommend them. Too bad because so many
people need medical care that they can't afford. Stay away from this company.

Ba
  13th of May, 2008

Read all the other comments on these scammers. I recommend you pay them off in-full immediately with a certified check; borrow the money if you have to. Any long-term relationship with these shitheads will cost you way more than you intially borrowed. There are several class-action lawsuits that have been filed and/or are pending. You may wish to see if there is one in your area. I have sued them as well...no results as of yet.

Ed
  26th of May, 2008

I had almost the same problem. I signed up for CareCredit thinking I could opt for the longest payment period and the lowest payment. Within a few months, I found out that the higher my balance, the higher my payments went. I stopped going to the dentist, and sometime later I stopped paying my account, and turned it over to a Consumer Counseling Agency. Payments to CareCredit/GEMoney started in January. GE Money is still charging me finance charges and late fees which exceed the payment. Not only that, they have not acknowledged the change of payee. For some reason, they are also crediting my account with $20 less than the payment sent to them. My counselor asked me for a contact name and fax number so he could contact them directly. Unfortunately, this information is not listed anywhere on my statement. I had previously written to GE Money asking for clarification and acknowledgement of the change of payee. This was over a month ago, and I have not received a response of any kind from them. As of my current statement, my account balance is $600+ higher than when I turned it over to CCC. I told them if they continue to charge finance charges, and refusing to work with the counseling agency, I will simply stop all payments altogether, and they won't get anything. My counselor is currently working on making contact with a live person, and getting this straightened out. I'm 76 years old, low income, and chances are I will be dead before they get all their money, so I don't know what they hope to achieve by stonewalling. It's a very stressful situation for me right now.

Ju
  29th of Aug, 2008

I completely agree with the other negative comments on CareCredit through GE. They are rip offs. I had them set up my account to do auto pay through my checking account. He argued with me that it needed to be set up 2 days after the due date, but I wouldn't be charged a late fee. EVery month I get a late fee charge and they say they won't refund and they can't change the date. They hung up on me 4 times today. They are dangerous, do not have anything to do with them. I wish they didn't have my financial info, there's no telling what they will do with it. Go to the bank or anywhere else to get a loan, because these people will rip you off every way they can.

Ba
  16th of Sep, 2008
GE Money Bank Care Credit - SERVICE CHARGES
GE MONEY BANK CARE CREDIT
Orlando
Florida
CARECREDIT.COM

I got this credit card 14 months ago to have some eye surgery done as 18 months same as cash. My first
payment I sent them an electronic payment. I received an email saying they received the payment.
After that I finally got a statement in the mail, they said they did not receive this payment . I called them and after much grief they said they would take off the late fees. I am paying my account off early
today so I called to get the payoff. Of course there was a 1.50 late fee and they said I had a 29.00 returned
check fee from my first payment. Funny thing that has never been listed on my statement. I am paying the 1.50 because the highest level employee I spoke with said she could not take that off my account. She
advised she did not have to give me her last name . This will be the best 1.50 I have ever paid knowing I
will never use this company again.

Su
  18th of Sep, 2008

I am so angry at these ****. I opened the account for my husband for a hair transplant. At the time my identity was stolen and I was dealing with the creditors so I was very paranoid about any charges I didn't recognized. That's when they started billing me and when I called the company they told me I had opened the account in Ohio for Dental work. I live in California so I immediately took it as another case of fraud. I put in the fraud report and was hesitant to pay the debt. This went on for two months until finally the clinic where my husband got the procedure done called me to question as to why I had put in the dispute...I called Care Credit again and I told them about the confusion they cause and they told me that they would take care of it since this had happened before. So to make a long story short they charged me the interest that they were suppose to waive for 15 months and they reported to the credit bureaus the late fees. When I called to complained the supervisor made me feel so stupid and told me it was my fault and that I should have anticipated the charges... So now I'm stuck with $43 of interest every month and a 60 day late fee on my credit report.
Is there anything I can do??? Help!!!

La
  1st of Oct, 2008

Ge Money Bank – Violates Fair Credit Billing Act

FTC fair credit billing act

File a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission so they can go after them

Da
  20th of Jun, 2009

I have Care Credit. It was pushed to me by my dentist as well. I signed up for paperless online payments, and you would think they would invest some of that money we give them to improve their online payment process. However, their website does not even work sometimes if you want to pay your bills online. I go online to pay one day, their system completely stopped working for like 3 days. Then I became late for my payment, and my APR jumped from like 4% to 24%. Because of that, my balance has not reduced although I have been paying like $150 a month for 2 years already. I'm still making payments because I do not have time to deal with them right now. But I will make sure I get my money back.

Sadly, I kept getting collections calls although I had paid the bill. They have the most ignorant robots working for them in the collections. I do not spend a minute explaining to them. It's plain waste of time. I suggest everyone deals with banks like this with persistence. I'd rather spend a dime dealing with greedy banks like this to get my penny back. Capital One is no better. It is in their best interest that we are late so they can make more money by hiking the APR and charging us late fees.

Je
  18th of Sep, 2010

yes, call again and ask to be transfered to a superviser. advise them that you understand it was a mixup, however it has now affected your credit report. nicely explain that you didnt pay because you were in the middle of a fraud case and didnt realize these charges were not part of the fraud because you didnt recognice the name or location of the charges. Ask if they can please remove the bad mark from your credit. if not, go online to the 3 major credit beaurus you get to pull your credit once for free per year from all 3 buearus. Dispute online the negative marks. explain why, the credit buearu will be able to fix it. infact they should be the first place you checked. The truth is, i understand it was a mix up, on the other hand though it wasnt a GE error either. That, combined with the fact that 99 percent of the time we arent able to change something thats been directly place on your credit report because we arent the credit beauru. so they arent lying if they tell you that they cant do it