GE Appliances

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 by

ge cafe french door refrigerator cye22tshpss - serial #lh506646 - incident #171006-003064

Port Chester, New York
I purchased a suite of GE Cafe Appliances from Berger Appliances in Hawthorne, NY 10532 which were delivered on Aug. 2, 2017. My home was under renovation and I moved in 9/21/2017. I immediately had a problem with the brand new GE CAFE refrigerator. It was emitting an acetone chemical smell that permeated the refrigerator compartment, the freezer and could be smelled and tasted in the ice. Food that I kept in the refrigerator took on the chemical smell and taste. (Butter, covered foods, fruit, etc). As a result I stopped using the refrigerator and called GE service. I had appointments on 10/3/17 and 10/11/17. GE service techs claim they cannot do anything other than to use smell-be-gone. I have had GE techs (Orlando and Nelson) from my area in NY. I am most unsatisfied with the lack of recognition of the problem, my inability to use the refrigerator without subjecting my family to chemicals which I would suspect are CFC's and the time I have devoted (time off from work) to GE service calls.

The chemical smell does not relent. It is blown around the refrigerator and emits from the interior vent by the left side door. Items that are in the refrigerator take on the distinctive smell of the chemical.

I have been advised by GE service technicians to use kitty litter and smell be gone. I am not interesting in masking what is wrong. I have a $2, 400 BRAND NEW refrigerator that I cannot use.

I am requesting a replacement of this refrigerator from GE ASAP. Alternatively I am requesting a full refund.

GE Appliances

Updated by KimberlyNY, Oct 12, 2017
Yes, I have kept them in the loop the entire time.
Complaint comments Comments (1)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Appliances

Comments

N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
Whereas it's been so recent, have you checked with Berger Appliances to get their assistance within the matter?

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree