GE Appliances / ge cafe french door refrigerator cye22tshpss - serial #lh506646 - incident #171006-003064
I purchased a suite of GE Cafe Appliances from Berger Appliances in Hawthorne, NY 10532 which were delivered on Aug. 2, 2017. My home was under renovation and I moved in 9/21/2017. I immediately had a problem with the brand new GE CAFE refrigerator. It was emitting an acetone chemical smell that permeated the refrigerator compartment, the freezer and could be smelled and tasted in the ice. Food that I kept in the refrigerator took on the chemical smell and taste. (Butter, covered foods, fruit, etc). As a result I stopped using the refrigerator and called GE service. I had appointments on 10/3/17 and 10/11/17. GE service techs claim they cannot do anything other than to use smell-be-gone. I have had GE techs (Orlando and Nelson) from my area in NY. I am most unsatisfied with the lack of recognition of the problem, my inability to use the refrigerator without subjecting my family to chemicals which I would suspect are CFC's and the time I have devoted (time off from work) to GE service calls.
The chemical smell does not relent. It is blown around the refrigerator and emits from the interior vent by the left side door. Items that are in the refrigerator take on the distinctive smell of the chemical.
I have been advised by GE service technicians to use kitty litter and smell be gone. I am not interesting in masking what is wrong. I have a $2, 400 BRAND NEW refrigerator that I cannot use.
I am requesting a replacement of this refrigerator from GE ASAP. Alternatively I am requesting a full refund.
Updated by KimberlyNY, Oct 12, 2017
Yes, I have kept them in the loop the entire time.
More GE Appliances Complaints & Reviews
- General Electric - class-action suit on refrigerator moisture! 
- GE Appliances - do not buy ge adora 
- General Electric - how a freezer door handle ends up being handled at the chairman's office level! 
- General Electric Company - Service Protection Plus - Extended Warranty Coverage
- General Electric - their service is equally abysmal 
- General Electric - GE Refrigerator
- General Electric - GE Front Load Wasther
- General Electric - Parts department
- General Electric - GE Refrigerator/Still not working after replacing compressor
- General Electric - ge double oven