Gateway Computers / Computer Warranty and Repair

United States, California, Fresno Review updated:
Gateway, Inc.
I bought a Gateway M285 Tablet PC in 2006 directly from Gateway for my small business. I also purchased 4 years extended warranty service, second business day, on-site, parts and labor covered.

Gateway sold their Business Unit to MPC in 2007, which took over all accounts and was also supposed to take care of the warranty obligations and support. MPC filed chapter 11 at the end of 2008. About one week after they filed it, by on-board ATI graphics card started failing.

I did some trouble-shouting myself and a software issue can be excluded. I called Gateway who told me to call MPC, who are now handling support for my PC. I called and got somebody on the Phone, after over one hour of waiting. The support person could not help me and told me to send an email to a support account that she gave me. I did that right after my call and nothing happened.

After a few days (so much for 2ND business day) I got a brief response, that they are currently in chapter 11 and cannot do anything until the ch11 proceedings are done, date unknown.

I did not care, I had (have) a business computer, with specific-not interchangeable parts, that does not work properly. Even if I did not get the support that I paid for, is it impossible for me, to do a repair myself. I cannot get the needed hardware part at Best Buy, Newegg etc. So I contacted Gateway, the manufacturer, who is to this date in the business of making computers.

They wanted me to send to MPC again, which I refused, because no help was coming from MPC and I needed somebody who CAN/has the ability to fix the computer, payment/coverage of cost secondary. I told Gateway that I would pay upfront for the repair of the computer that they built and deal with the compensation for it later, with MPC, one they are done with their chapter 11 proceedings.

Gateway was unwilling to help me at all. They gave me some links to sites that I never heard of, where I might be able to purchase the part that I need (and don't know). The part number on my delivery receipt I could not find and everything that looked like it could be the right part was out of stock. I contacted support at the beginning of November 2008.

Today is January 17, 2009 and the computer is still not fixed. The gfx card shuts down less now, because I disabled 3D acceleration, which seems to be the part of the ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 that is damaged. It slows the computer down and a pain in the butt to work with, but its better than a total failure (which I expect to happen anytime soon).

What does Gateway expect me to do? I waved my Credit Card to get their computer fixed by them, business for them, although they made the original promise to me that they will take care of everything. That's why I did go to the Manufacturer directly. Who else is supposed to be able to fix and support it?

I sent a letter to Gateway management already, before I offered to pay for the guaranteed second biz day on-site, parts and labor covered support, which I did not get, even after 2 business MONTHS passed. I probably will send another letter to their corporate office here in California.

One thing is for sure... I WILL NEVER EVER!!! BUY ANOTHER GATEWAY COMPUTER (Consumer or Business or Whatever) IN MY LIFE AGAIN! ... and I STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO YOU .. TO DO THE SAME!

Additional details to this incident can be found at

Carsten Cumbrowski

A  12th of Feb, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Same here! Three years ago I bought my computer from my school through Gateway with a 4 year unlimited warranty. Believe me, this warranty plan cost me A LOT of money, over $2000! I have had problems with my computer before and had them fixed. This time my computer breaks and I am refused service. Apparently Gateway sold my warranty to MPC. I contact MPC for warranty work to find out that they have gone bankrupt and liquidated their company. So now I am out of luck, or so I am told.
I FINALLY got a hold of someone at gateway only to be refused any help or resolution to my broken computer. The gateway representative told me that they could not help me. Despite my efforts to help the representative understand my problem as a young businessman with a broken computer, he refused to be of any help and just kept repeating that they were not responsible since they sold my account to MPC. So Gateway made two times the amount of money on my account I guess! Once when I paid them $2000 for the computer and unlimited warranty, and a second time when MPC bought my account from them! This is utterly ridiculous and unprofessional of Gateway to not offer loyalty to their customers. There should be some honoring of my warranty! They are a large corporation who has more money than I will ever see and yet they refuse to do anything to honor my warranty and therefore they refuse to keep me as a loyal customer, as I have been for the last 3 years.
N  7th of Jul, 2009 by

Gateway Computers - Terrible experience
Gateway Computers

After spending over $800 for extensive warranty protection on laptops for my college age daughters, Gateway is now refusing to honor the warranties they sold me. They say they "Sold" my warranty coverage to another company. Guess what... the "Other Company" is going bankrupt. Now I can't get service from Gateway or the bankrupt company. Bottom line... I'm out $800... I paid Gateway for the warranties, Gateway should honor them. Gateway can not be trusted and I would sincerely suggest that anyone considering doing business with Gateway Computers would reconsider. Believe me, it's in YOUR best interest to do so.
N  5th of Sep, 2009 by
We are enduring a similar horror story on my $4500 computer.
When we first contacted Gateway with our problem, we were called LIARS when we gave our warranty information (they no longer offer the 4-year "at home" service warranty we purchased).

I have escalated out of Asia's call centers and into Texas. I'm now dealing with Corporate Headquarters in Irvine, CA.

TX and CA have been the rudest of ALL--not to mention arrogant and borderline belligerant!
They honestly don't give a ### whether you have a problem, that's very, very clear.
A lead supervisor in Sri Lanka (?) was the nicest and most helpful of all!!

Gateway has become completely dishonest, and has tried to misrepresent *cough LIE cough* about what my warranty does and does not cover. When I ask where they're finding that information in my policy, one rep said, "I don't have to tell you where it says ANYTHING in your policy."

They keep wanting ME to pay for services covered under the warranty.
Conniving deceivers and scammers.
In short, THEY have breached the agreement/warranty--advising of that is the only way I have been able to get ANY help.

Another victim has posted this:

"Anyone reading this, please contact the South Dakota Attorney Generals Office: 605-773-4400 Fax: 605-773-7163 or www.state. sd. us/atg or mail them at Office of Attorney General 500 East Capital State Capital Building Pierre, SD 57501-5070 Attention: Ms Jill Dean "

Please pass this on!
Companies like this get away with not backing up their product by making it TO DIFFICULT for you to make them live up to their warranties!! People get so frustrated, they give up and go away.

Wouldn't you just love to file a class-action lawsuit?
Contact the SD Attorney General so we can band together!!
2009 has been an all-time low! Don't let them get you!!
N  5th of Sep, 2009 by
NOTE: pardon all of the typos! i was too upset to proof-read it properly before i posted.
N  5th of Sep, 2009 by
Also, please feel free to email me YOUR story/personal nightmare with Gateway!
A  8th of Oct, 2009 by
I purchased a gateway laptop in 2005 with a 10 year warranty that has not been lived up to by gateway. I have 3 usb ports and a screen that need repair. and no one to talk to at either Gateway or MPC who is supposedly handling the warranty issues. Thats a lot of bull. I can't believe that Gateway is allowed to sell off their own warrranty's and that the third party go out of business. Gatway should not be allowed to continue any business if this is their standard procudure. After reading the other complaints I will purchase another computer but never from gateway again. Nor will the my bussiness or kids. Down with GATEWAY,
N  4th of Nov, 2009 by
Recently purchased a Gateway Laptop At Costco. My problem was a poor battery. Over 5 calls to Gateway, for them finally to send a new battery. To get "expedited" replacement, I needed to give the Rep in India ( should have been a clue!) MY credit card info. That way I was to get the replacement within a shorter period of time.

A word of warning: DO NOT give them your charge information!

My card has been charged MULTIPLE times. Each time I call...on hold in India...Cut off>>>>>>>>>>>>>finally speak to someone in US. By the way, good luck with that!
Each time, I am the bad guy, even though they have charged my card multiple times when in fact, only 1 "hold" was to be put on the card.

Several calls later...no refunds on the account, even though they have their precious sub par returned battery!

DO NOT buy Gateway, if you want "customer service".
A  6th of Jan, 2010 by
If anyone can figure out how to join this lawsuit, please post.