FPL / residents are being ripped off!

Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States Review updated:
3.35
Florida Power & Light is asking state utility regulators for a 7 percent increase in rates starting in January and I heard on the radio yesterday that it was approved.
The Florida Public Service Commission already approved an increase of 16 percent last year and FPL said the estimated increase could rise depending on fluctuations in fuel prices and the potential impact of this season's hurricanes.
FPL had profits of $217 million, or 54 cents per share, compared with $211 million, or 53 cents per share, a year ago.
I live in a mobile home with land and have a $1260 mortgage PITI. I am a single mom and college graduate making $600 a week gross and I will probably foreclose on my home within the next year and to have a corporation profit from what is a NEED, especially in Florida, is disgraceful.
Ki

Comments

Do
  11th of Nov, 2008
I have had FPL for two years now and am looking for a new place to live that does not offer FPL service. My husband and I both work and have two kids to support. But like most families we fell on hard times this month because of our youngest son being sick. We have asked friends and family for their help and because of their financial situations they can't help. So with my electric bill being three hundred and forty three dollars FPL said we can't file for an extention. Not only that but they also are charging us another deposit. I called FPL begging for a little more time cause we have to find a way to come up with the money I was told they would be turning my electric off 11/12/08. I tried to explain to FPL that I have a sick child and just needed a few more days to find the money they told me I was out of luck. Now tell me what company knowing they are going to get their money turns off power to a sick childs home. If any one can tell me how I can get FPL to let me have more time or if anone knows of any organization that can help please email me at bdolfans03@yahoo.com. I would really appreciate if any one has any info that would help.
Do
  11th of Nov, 2008
I don't think FPL needs to have a 7 percent increase in rates. They don't do any thing to help anyone. They are rude and don't respond when you call them for a problem. They treat the customers like they are crap. The customer is the one keeping them in business. I think the State Of Florida needs to come down hard on FPL and make them realize that the customer comes first.
Sc
  28th of Dec, 2008
I am preparing a flyer to give out to people and forward to all the major media outlets.
FPL is charging an extra deposit from customers to which FPL's credit exposure is limited to maybe 3 months of payments.

They have NO competition.

We have NO choice.

Imagine a business where you have no competitors and your customers will ALWAYS come back to you, FOR LIFE!!!

Tobacco companies don't even enjoy that kind of customer loyalty.
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY INSANE...
Ne
  3rd of Feb, 2009
It is outrageous that this happens! The increases are staggering, especially during these hard times. People are losing their homes, lay-offs are at a all-time high and increasing, work is VERY difficult to come by and FPL continues to increase their rates!!

The Public Service Commission has approved rate hikes twice within one year! What kind of service or over site are they providing...?

As "scott777" indicated... They have NO competition... We have NO choice.

This is a text book definition and example of a monopoly!! Shame on FPL for taking advantage of the needy and those going through some hard times!

Florida Power & Light [FPL] Logo Florida Power & Light [FPL]