Ford Motor Company / 2004 ford explorer defective rear end

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer with right at 43, 000 miles... it is a 4x4 Eddie Bauer edition, at 40, 000 miles almost to a T the transmission started shifting really hard between 2nd and 3rd gear and the rear end started to make a howling/whorling noise around 50+ mph, I took into Ford dealership for service and inspection and found that I would need to spend almost $800 for the transmission shifting solenoid to be replaced and $1250 more to have the rear gear and bearings replaced in the rear end. I went ahead and bit the bullet and had the transmission fixed... almost $900 later that has been fixed but the rear end is still loud. I asked service manager of garage if any assistance could be provided from Ford since the vehicle is just outside of the warranty period, we are talking 4, 000 miles when the noise started and now about 7, 000 miles over. Anyway he gave me a phone number for Ford's customer service I called [protected] and gave them my complaint and they said to call my local dealership in a few days and I did and the dealership told me that Ford stated warranty was out and I would have to pay out of pocket for the entire rear end repair.

Again the vehicle just had $900 spent on the transmission shifting issue and now needs another $1250 spent on the rear end and we are talking about a vehicle that only has 43, 000 miles!!!

Ford's customer service is horrible, they vehicles are made to break just outside of the warranty period and it clearly shows... The real icing on the cake the local Ford garage tells me last year when they were working on lots of 2004 Ford Explorers under warranty they were repairing 5 to 6 of these a DAY! CLEARLY! Ford knows these rear ends are defective if a small town garage like mine was repairing 5 to 6 of these a day!

Don't buy Ford, I sure know I won't... I even had a new 09 F150 on order and I was going to trade in my 04 F150 that I bought new as well... Ford has lost this long time customer!

Comments

• Lu
      20th of Apr, 2009

I just bought an 2004 explorer less than 2 years ago. I found a big stress mark from the back window on the door all the way down the door. I talk to dealership and they told me it a common problem well why aren't they fixing or recalled. Now I have to replace the blank blank thing at my expense ... That's b.s. they know about it. and to no avail... No wonder why people buy foriegn... Thanks for nothing ford ... Luanne Hensley waterford, mi.

• Ay
      28th of Feb, 2011

Hi I have 2004 explorer limited getting whirl noise from the back end only when accelerating and when I take my foot off the gas it stops.Then I took in for service and was told that it was the differential and had to be replaced after that it was the same noise same thing. Took it back and he said he replaced it all again, nothing changed same noise same thing. He felt that it might be the universals causing it so he replaced them also. Again the same noise same thing, I had the rear wheel bearing replaced on drivers side a few months before this and now he said that perhaps it is the other rear wheel bearing that might be causing this. After I reminded him that his own mechanic told me if it were the rear wheel bearing that it would do it all the time and not just when I accelerate. I am leaving on vacation for five weeks and I will be putting on over 6, 000 KLM. and he assures me that everything will be OK. Also the whirl noise is more prominent at about 100 KLM. to 110.KLM. not that it isn't there all the time but it is hard to hear at lower speeds.