Fisher & Paykel DCS 5 burner stove / Defective stovetop and no way to get it repaired or replaced!

I purchased a DCS 5 burner stove top range 3 years ago. A few months after I bought it the center burner stopped functioning properly. I have tried to have it repaired for over two years but no one has been able to fix it. At the time, there was only one appliance store in my area who carried it and when they couldn't repair it they stopped returning my calls. No one else in the area would try to repair it as they were not familiar with it. Now that there are two other appliance stores in the area carrying Fisher Paykel I am trying again to get it repaired. The center eye's igniter continues to click because the gas is not getting to the simmer flame. I've had a repairman out to check it, have had a new burner installed, and still he was unable to fix it. He now says that he doesn't think that it can be repaired. I am about to rip the thing out and throw it in the ocean. I've talked to customer service numerous times over the last month and I just get the run around. I would never buy one of their products again. When four different repairmen have been unable to fix it then it obviously is a lemon! It just saddens me to know that I am just a little fish in a big sea who paid a lot for a stovetop that obviously was defective and am unable to get it repaired or replaced! Not the best way for Fisher Paykel to treat its customers!

Pr
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Fi
      29th of Mar, 2016

I have the same problem BUT with a possible fix. My repair guy came out and said he had seen this before. He told me to turn the burner on and move the indicator close to the highest point. The clicking is the protection system from the oven and just ignore it. Continue to hold the burner knob in place for about 30 seconds. After that give it a firm push in and the flame should stay. You may have to repeat a couple of times but this does indeed work. There is another part of the solution which involves placing a small piece of paper in the burner handle. I will post that part tomorrow.

• Li
      16th of Dec, 2015

I have had DCS range for 1 1/2 years...center burner ignitor went out and repairman could not get top of range off because the nuts holding on the burners, "were frozen" according to Fisher Paykel...FP instructed to "grind" the burners out and even had a video to show how to do it, obviously this had been a problem before. Repairman could not believe what he had to do to simply change an ignitor...this was over a $700 job! Ignitor was $75...Only after several nasty emails to FP, and one very nasty threatening phone call to the FP rep, did we get this covered. I am all for all of us banning together and making FP take responsibility for their defective very expensive ranges!!!

• Lo
      19th of Nov, 2015

I sympathize will all of those who have had problems with the DCS. Since I purchased the 6 burner range in 2005 I have had to have 2 broilers replaced, an ignitor box, numerousl other internal parts, and in the past 2 years have spent approx. $2000 to the DCS authorized rep who is very expensive and not particularly good. And for those who say that keeping the stove clean will prevent these problems, my wife keeps a meticulous stove top. My latest is a burner that will only simmer. My serviceman said that the burner assy had to be removed, but he could not do that, and said that it might have to be "cut out." I declined this expensive repair. I will never buy a DCS product again.

• Re
      13th of Sep, 2015

My DCS won't stop clicking AFTER its turned off. I have a 5 burner with a griddle.

• Vi
      20th of Jul, 2015

WE bought our large DCS oven 3 yrs ago and now the oven will not reach the desired temperature. It takes almost an hour to reach 375 and that's as far as it goes. The repair man said it needs a new front panel, which displays the temp, clock, ect, instead of a thermostat. Now DCS has discontinued that panel and he is not sure he can find the correct part. Has anyone else had this issue?

I wish I had read these reviews before we purchased this brand!

• Da
      19th of Jun, 2015

Same problems that you are all having . Repair man just left for the 3rd or 4rth time since 2013.

23rd of May, 2015

My big problem has been my DCS large oven. I have had the technician out repeatedly for six months and it never works for more than a week. I would never buy anything for DCS again. I'm sad our local appliance dealer recommended it.

• St
      24th of Apr, 2015

We bought a 6 burner 36'' professional range November 2013, a few days before the one year warranty expired, the oven broiler stop working. We call the appliance store we bought it from and they fixed it. No problem. Now April 2015, when I turn on the broiler, it short circuits my plug. I hear a "puf" sound and then nothing. I reset the plug and now the fan does not work, on top of the broiler being broken. I call the store and they do not care, they only cover one part under the 10 year warranty, BTW the part cost $80 so who cares! Why even call this a warranty. All in all, we spent $5000 on this range and every year there is another issue. We should have bought a Wolf range has planned and I should have read this forum first.

• Cb
      18th of Mar, 2015

Little rubber feet 0on the burner grates fall off--cannot find replacements, except once my wife found each ~1/4" foot was $5.00 EACH!!! Anyway, most pots and pans rock when sitting on the grates. The griddle plate (sits on top of the burner grates) warps when heated and all the pancake batter or eggs or bacon grease puddle in one corner-=very unappetizing. The ignitors fire randomly, even on burners where the gas is off. It's a disaster.

5th of Mar, 2015

No help from the help desk

5th of Mar, 2015

This is what I told the dog to poop on after talking to the less than helpful people at DCS

• Co
      1st of Dec, 2014

I bought a 5 burner 30" DCS just before the company was acquired by Fisher Paykel. The problems started immediately with the thermostat on the oven. After 3 replacement parts failed to fix the problem I was given a new range. This one came with about 6 or 7 problems of its own but the thermostat functioned properly. After months of trying to get things straight, the warranty expired and neither the repair person or FP customer service would talk to me. i have learned to live with only one functioning oven light, numerous "hot spots" (especially when using convection), non rolling racks, and more. The cook top works well and I keep it clean. All in all the range does not perform as promised and is certainly not a good value. I would recommend a different brand. One of the main reasons I purchased a DCS was because it is an American made product. The rest of you have my sympathy.

24th of Nov, 2014

We bought the DCS 6 burner stove/oven combo and after what we have dubbed 'the great oil spill of 2014', we have learned a few lessons. Firstly, big spills are a big deal with this range and if you have one, it's important to start taking the burners apart right away to properly clean up. If you don't, your problems will only get worse. The gas valve is separate for the simmer burner on the bottom and if the simmer burner does not function properly, the burner will just click click forever or won't come on at all. Also, if the igniter is dirty or the burner cap holes are clogged, that can create issues as well. My husband had a pot of oil boil over on the stove and he tried to soak up the excess with a towel, but did not remove burner caps or anything else. Well, first the burner he had the spill on went out and gradually they all started malfunctioning. Long story short, oil got into everything and gungked up every piece of the burner, most importantly though the igniters and simmer gas valves. We took them all apart down to the wiring, carefully cleaned them extensively with hot soapy water for the pieces that could and the igniters with alcohol. We put it back together and everything good as new. It taught us to keep the unit clean and going forward we will be routinely cleaning the burner parts. Hope this helps for those of you with similar problems.

• Tr
      21st of Aug, 2014

I have had for over ten years now, RGS-305. Most of the problems discribed here, regarding the top burners are going to be related to ANY spillage that has gotten to the surface ignitors or the burners. The oven and broiler ignitors, I have had to replace after 10 years, luckily I have the ability to do them myself and do not have to pay the service tech cost. Part are still available for this model @ reasonable pricing. Yes, this is an expensive unit, but considering the use I put it through (hard, hard cooking), and the temps it gets to w/speed(infa-red broiler reaches 750°) I will say that the unit will get me another 10 years if not more of a good working life. I have been involved in commercial rest. business for 35 years(last 20 years in the sales side), and looked very hard before buying my unit. I could have spent well under 50% less for a 36" commercial range that would have to be very tight in my 37" space, but no broiler, not well insulated, ovens cook uneven, only standing pilots not ignitors, and no simmer levels for smaller home cooking standards. Overall people need to under stand that nothing is maintenance fee, cooking included, spills are going to effect the unit, like all gas units. Overall I am fortunate to understand the needs to keep this unit working properly and I have been satisfied with my unit, but understood going in that it would require routine maintenance to keep the unit working up to my needed performance levels. If you want the closest thing possible to no maintenance, then get a sealed top unit, and deal with its pros and cons.

• Al
      4th of Mar, 2014

I have a DCS 5 burner. Had it for over 10 yrs and worked for less than 1yr. Burners are completely dead, only 2 rear burners work. The flame is extremely weak and barely enjoy cooking. We called out a technician twice to repair. Both times the 5 point igniter was replaced. The bill came out to be $350 including parts and labor each time. We tried to buy the parts however DCS did not directly sell it to me, and told me service had to be repaired through a technician. After 10 yrs of dealing with a piece of junk stove, we decided to throw it out and get a more reliable stove. I decided to look up this 5 pt igniter and its for sale online now. You can buy the part online now for $90. Anyways, its time to give this piece of junk one last chance... and repair/clean the stove myself.

• Pk
      5th of Dec, 2013

I have a DCS 2 door Ovens and the display has gone out for the temperatures and comes and goes for the clock. I just found out the Fisher Paykel only refurbishes the displays since their supplier has gone out of business. You must send them your display first before they will send you the refurbished display. I informed the parts service person, that the burden is put on the customer, since they will be without a working oven during that time frame. They were unwilling to send out the refurbished display first. I also have a 6 burner DCS stove and have the same issue with the ignitor striking. It was fixed the first time it happened. I was told it was a selnoid that needed to be replaced. It's been about 2 years since that was replaced and it's starting to happen again. If you let the ignitor go, it eventually stops striking. I don't know how long that will last, but I'm hoping it stops at some point. DCS is a sham and Fisher Paykel cares nothing for the customer. I can't imagine they will be in business much longer here in the US with the amount of complaints I've seen on the web.

• Eo
      26th of Mar, 2013

I have a 36in DCS Fisher & Paykel 5 burner gas stove top that we installed in our remodeled kitchen 2007, from what I am
    reading I guess I am really lucky up till now. I have had some non light instances & ticking sounds during the past 5 years but
    now my middle burner will not light without a flame put to it & then the ticking just keeps ticking. Once in a while I can light
    it & turn it on high & the igniter will stop but once turned off must relight with flame. It all started after I cleaned the stove.
    I have left a call with Fisher & Paykel tech people to see what I need to do to fix. From what I read they probably won't call back.
    Any ideas from those that have replaced igniters, etc.

• Bi
      24th of Jan, 2013

Our DCS stove model RGS 305SS serial 03L62513C, 30" had all 5 top burners replaced severeal times including the broiler in the oven and now when the oven is turned on and sometimes reaches the set temperature the oven then will not re ignite!! But gas continues to flow in the oven. This is a major issue that could blow up my home as well as everyone in the area.

• Lo
      22nd of Jan, 2013

I concur with the complaints in regard to the constant clicking of the igniter of my center burner on my five burner DCS cooktop. I've also had issues with the protective feet falling off and breaking for the last five years. DCS service says they no longer make them. ECHHHH!!! . Fortunately or unfortunately I gotten seven year plus on my unit and still have four burners that still operate. As soon as they go that cooktop is out of here and it will be replaced by another brand. Since other customers have received little help from repairmen I choose to not go that route. Now I am going to do my Tai Chi to restore my inner peace.

• Cl
      21st of Dec, 2012

We had the same problem with a burner that would ignite incessantly and a boil over on the stove. My fix was to remove the top cover, clean and expose a hole in the middle surrounded by a brass nut. Clean the venturi ( small hole that emit gas to main burner). Remove the brass nut and you will see a second hole with a venturi to control the simmer. This is where my problem was located. I used a wooden shish ka bob skewer to clean the food debris and blew the hole clean with a can of compressed air. The compressed air used to clean a computer keyboard. Reassemble and it works without the incessant click. If you are incline to remove the ignitor, use care as it is 2 inches long and wired. One must pull straight to avoid breaking. I clean the ignitor with a Q tip and rubbing alcohol. Good luck.