First Premier Bank / terrible company!

601 S. Minnesota AveSioux Falls, SD, United States Review updated:
3.9
Phone: 605-357-3000

I have been a customer with First Premier Bank for over three years. I have 2 credit cards (Centennial and Platinum) issued by them. During the years I have been a customer, I have always stayed under my credit limit and paid my bills before the due date; usually more than the minimum due. All this time I never requested and was never offered a credit limit increase (my current limits are $200 and $300.) I have been repairing my damaged, but not horrible, credit over the last year or so and have 2 other credit cards (Rewards660 and Aspire) with $1000 credit limits. I also have an HSBC and Total card with $300 limits, but they are newer.

My issue is that I am planning to pay off and close my low limit accounts in hopes of further improving my credit. Since the First Premier cards are relatively long standing, good accounts I didn't want to close them. I, for the first time, requested a credit limit increase and was denied; they say because of my credit history. But, they also say that they don't access one's credit report for limit increase requests.

This does not ring logical with me considering the fact that all my other cards are under the limits and are always paid on time also. During the next billing cycle, First Premier charged their excessive annual fees, and that, coupled with their other fees/interest put me a couple dollars over limit for the first time. Obviously, they were quick to add the overlimit fees as well. I didn't fight this because I take responsibility for my own balance and have since paid my accounts back under the limits.

I don't know if anybody is given increases from this predatory company, but I believe that I was denied just so they could charge me the overlimit fees. I plan to pay off these worthless cards and close the accounts. Please do not support this card issuer. Get an Aspire or Orchard card instead.
Va

Comments

Di
  7th of Mar, 2008
Interestingly enough I was denied a credit limit increase with the card issuer but continue to be solicited for a second approved card due to my excellent payment history with them. A second card that they can charge their fees, etc. on. Imagine that. No, I did not take the 2nd card.
Mb
  9th of Apr, 2008
Pay off card, close card. If prob persist sue in small claims court. I did it worked.
Sa
  6th of Dec, 2008
i love first premier bank there is nothing wrong with first premier bank! the reason you probley cant build your credit is bc you have 2 many cc's! by stayng under the limit and always paying on time and showing you have avable credit on you cc's is what will build your crdt!the annual fee that they charge will put you over the limit if you dont have enough crdt but they will not charge you a over the limit fee and if they do they are required to crdt back!they do put the annual fee notice on the month before stmt so that you are aware when will bill!wish you luck though on this and hope it changes your point of view!
Ca
  13th of Dec, 2008
Thank you Sarah, EXACTLY what I was going to say. Close and pay off half your credit cards then try again.
Co
  27th of Apr, 2009
You ppl are all stupid if you read your terms and conditions for once youd understand whey there are fees and why you are denied increases...your denied increases because your your history in general not with just fpb. also they dont just give increases becuz that pulls ur credit which causes and inquiry. and if you have bad credit it can affect you. so why would they do it with out your permission?...and fees...they have fees cuz you are payig for a program not a credit card. Your paying for MONTHLY reports to the 4 credit agencys. (4th is inovis data solutions) if people would take the time to learn about what they are signing up for they wouldnt run into these problems
Mi
  20th of May, 2009
Coletta, Do you know how to spell? You need to use better grammar...First Premier is a scam all the way around. They jack up the fees al l the time and when you close the acct. on your end they do not always on their end. All they are about is making money. Yes when paid on time it shows on the credit report but it still doesn't make it right to play with people credit when the amt is paid on time or if they're in a hardship.
Am
  28th of Feb, 2010
Over draft fees and charges that do not apply to my account
Do
  16th of Nov, 2010
I just got an offer for a card thru this bank with an annual fee of $75, a $45 one time fee and a credit limit of $300!! Oh yea bor a mere 59.9% interest rate!!! I didn't even think that interest would be legal, "Tony Soprano" would give a better rate!!!

My opinion of this bank is simple, JUST SAY NO!!!
Us
  9th of Feb, 2011
I did exactly what you did, had two (2) cards with FPB around 10 years ago. After paying my balances every single month I started to notice that the interest would never go away, no matter if paid the very next day after a purchase. After arguing with this about this I decided to pay those two cards off cancel both those accounts. So I did. Come a decade later, I started receiving letters from Portfolio Recovery Associates regarding my 'Collection Account' regarding one of my 'First Premier Bank' credit cards. Isn't it illegal for them to sell my information on accounts left in good standing? What's going on here, I know someone is making money and I'd like to know who is making the money from illegally selling personal information including my social security number, so that I may take a piece of their cake. This is totally a Federal Offense. Financial institutions have the right to share information with companies who are their service providers, such as debt collection companies, but what right does that give them for selling information on accounts left in good standing? Something is wrong here. And now my roomy is getting calls from a credit card he knows nothing about. Something seems very fishy. Lurking under the murky waters you'll find the same people who sold you bad mortgages are the people running Debt Collection, Debt Recovery, Debt Consolidation, Credit Repair and Mortgage Repair services. Look it up. It will make your stomach turn. I know first had, I've had to deal with some ex-mortgage CEOs, Presidents and CFOs all of which are in this new found field of easy money on the back of hard working Americans. So first they screw up the economy with their bad Mortgages and now they're back at it again, under a different disguise.
Pn
  3rd of Oct, 2011
i have been a card hold with two cards for over 3 yrs...i was promised at time of getting the cards that i would have a 9% intrest as long as i paid my cards on time it was fixed if i did not keep my cards paid on time then it would goto 21%...well i was looking at my last bill and it was at 20.15% when i contacted the bank and asked why my rate was so high they informed me that all clients have been changed due to the changes that were made through the government...WHAT!!! that is not right...we as consumers have the right to be able to keep what was promised to us if the rules change then that rule should affect new card holders and clearly be explained to the new card holders but to the exsisting card holders that were made a promise of a low intrest rate then that is what first premier should keep it is not right that we as consumers are always getting screwed for the dedt that the government seems to like getting into...we r working our butts off to take of our bills that we have and we are held responsible for our dedt or we are sent to collections and unable to buy homes ect...but the government screws up and we again are all held responsible for everyone else's mistakes i am truly tired of it...i told first premier that i will pay off both of my accts. and cancel my card's i will not be with a establishment that does not hold true to their promises...when i told the man what my intentions were he was not concerned and did not even try to make the situation right...so i am done they need to understand that when you guarentee your customers something you need to stick to it or your company with also suffer...good luck first premeir because you are about to feel the affects of treating your customers bad...
Ba
  20th of Jul, 2016
I received a card and a bill in the mail and I had never applied for this card. I now have a bill for 124.61 for fees and late fees . I called them to no avail and I believe they may have reported it to the credit bureau . I also had cut up the card and mailed it back to them and still received a bill for a due date of 8/08/2016 . I have good credit and want to know what I can do to get rid of these bills for charges I have never used.
Wi
  20th of Jul, 2016
People really need to educate themselves on the word UNETHICAL.

What you should be doing is pulling your credit to see if you are a victim of identity theft. Instead of blaming the creditor, who also may have been defrauded, you should be working with them since they too are a victim. There is absolutely nothing unethical about collecting a debt. It is unethical of you to ignore this issue and pretend it does not exist.

First Premier Bank / Premier Bankcard Logo First Premier Bank / Premier Bankcard
Overall Satisfaction Rating