Fifth Third Bank - Matthews, NC / total incompetence

1 Charlotte, NC, United States
Phone: 704-847-0152

In 40+ years of banking, I have never come across a more uncaring, incompetent, bank. Fifth Third recently bought out my bank --First Charter. When my First Charter CD came due and I was a few days late in cashing it in (although well within the grace period), I was told that the residual interest I had earned from the day the CD came due until the day I cashed it out would only be paid if I renewed my CD with them. Despite the fact that I had two accounts with them and First Charter had told me that residual interest would be paid when I cashed in the CD, Fifth Third refused to honor this. I have cashed out scores of CD's from many different banks over the years, and not one has failed to pay residual interest! When I then closed out my accounts, they shorted me $100 and they have been promising me for weeks that they would "investigate" and get back to me. Believe me, if they had over paid me, I would have heard about it the next day. My new bank was agast when I told them all this and the customer rep. told me they are getting new accounts from disgruntled 5/3 customers by the boatload. And, my new bank's interest rates are far superior. Fifth Third has lost three accounts worth over $750, 000 (one is a local business) and I won't rest until I have cost them a cool million. GO BACK TO OHIO, FIFTH THIRD!!!