[Resolved] FIDO / incorrect rate charges

5 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Account # [protected]
I am a newcomer to Canada. On signing up for Fido service in August 2016 for my husband (Christopher Bryan) and I at the Level 1 kiosk at Eaton Centre, I asked the store rep. (Vin) for the rate for calls to Jamaica and Barbados knowing that I would be making and receiving frequent calls with relatives. He advised me it would be 0.25 per minute.

When I received the first bill that reflected calls made/received (due mid-Oct), I was shocked to see the total due was over $400. I checked and noted that the rate being charged per minute was ~$2.00 and not $0.25 as was expected, almost 8x the fee. I immediately contacted Vin who said I should have added a value pack for $5 in order to be billed at $0.25 per minute and I explained that he had not mentioned that requirement when he advised of the rate.

He basically said there is nothing he can do and I should call customer service and “give them a story” to see if they can make the adjustment. I called customer service, explained the situation, and was told to speak to the store Manager as that issue was outside of their scope. I visited the store and the manager, Nav Cheema, advised he would escalate to see what can be done to resolve the situation. I explained the need for urgency as the bill was becoming due in less than 2 weeks. I also asked if the deadline for bill payment could be extended and Nav instructed me to call customer service and ask for an extension – I was unsuccessful in that feat.

Within that time, I called and visited the kiosk and there were no material updates so the bill was paid with the intent that the issue would be resolved and a refund would be forthcoming. I also visited another location (Oshawa Centre) and spoke with Jennifer Lopez who advised that the kiosk at Eaton Centre is not a part of corporate Fido so there was nothing she could do to resolve the issue with the rate, but offered to add the value pack.

I recently received another bill due mid-November reflecting charges in excess of $370. Again, this was due to the exorbitant per minute charge for international calls prior to the time the value pack was added. I, again, called customer service and was told to follow up with the store Manager, Nav. I was surprised to hear him say he was not sure who was 'at fault' and still was unsure what could be done to resolve the situation over a month later. I emphasized that I was not aware there was ever a question of whether the store rep. (Vin) was accountable as I received, and still have, text messages from Vin with our communication regarding the issue, and Vin clearly acknowledges that he had not advised of the need for a value pack. This discussion with Nav gave light to my initial concern that he may not have been following up with dealer support despite my many visits and calls.

Essentially, I am not willing to pay another ~$400 for another month based on Vin's misinformation. It seems he may not have given full disclosure on the rates in an attempt to ensure that I switched from the competitor and signed up with Fido. The last time I spoke with customer service, I was advised that my best bet was to follow up with the store Manager and they would, again, note my call and concerns. However, I am not confident that Nav is likely to make a real attempt to resolve the situation.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to contact him, leaving voice messages which he never responds to. My husband visited the location last week and Nav suggested that we send him the text messages exchanged with Vin. This was done over the weekend and he has not acknowledged receipt of the email, nor did he return my call on Monday. He had advised my husband that if we bought something in store, he may be able to provide a discount. I do not think this a reasonable solution to our issue, and this would require us to spend more money when we have likely spent enough to cover at least 3 months' of charges (given the $55 fee per month and the over $400 paid for one month based on the charges for international calls). Ultimately, I think the bills should be revised to reflect the calls at the quoted rate of $0.25.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Simone

• Resolution statement

• Fido Customer Care's Response, Nov 29, 2016

Hey Simone!

That definitely doesn't sound right :( I'd love to have the chance to look into this for you!

Can you send us a Facebook PM or Twitter DM? We'll be able to look into that for you there! Feel free to copy/paste or send us the link to your post here on complaints board so you don't have to write everything all over again.

We'll be waiting :)