Family Dollar / lies

I have been a Manager at Family Dollar for the past 2 years, I am on a salary to get paid for 52 hours a week but I don't think there is ever a time that I have been able to just work 52 there is weeks that I have put in 75+ hours with getting no help from the DM, Family dollar works you to death they are always cutting payroll hours and expecting more and more work to be done you can never take a break even if you work 12 hours a day, back in oct, 2008 I found out I was pregnant I was put on a restriction to work no more then 40 hours a week but since oct till now there has been only 2 weeks that have have worked 40 hours.

I have been wrote up 2 times for going over my payroll budget and can never get help from anyone, I have went over my DMS head I have called human resources and no one wants to help, since I have done this my DM has been has found anything and everything to make my job a living hell, I have been wrote up and he always finds something to complain about but before I was put on this restriction I was never wrote up and always told what a good job I do, I believe family dollar is a slave driving company they get people to do the the job under pay them, over work them, abuse them and put there lifes in danger and most of the managers are like me have children to support and bills to pay so I get stuck being there slave.

Th

Comments

• Nn
      17th of Apr, 2009

wow thats why so many openings with this company!

• Br
      23rd of Apr, 2009

Have any employee heard stories of age discrimination?

• Mr
      23rd of Apr, 2009

"you can never take a break even if you work 12 hours a day"

Whenever I hear this I remind people that by law an employer is required to allow you a break after a certain number of hours of working. Ask them if it'd be less expensive for them to hire a new employee or deal with a big ### lawsuit.

• Li
      26th of Nov, 2009

Being an assisstant manager at a Family Dollar myself, I can completely understand the attitude and aggravation of this manager. It seems like everyone that works for this company is very overworked and underpayed. Why would they have DM's and human resources to help solve situations that are beyond our control. They get a write up that they refuse to follow up on unless it has to do with upper management. Family Dollar promises paid vacations to us which is impossible to take due to payroll cuts, lack of employees, with no other coverage available if it was necessary. Me myself had a miscarriage earlier this year and reluctantly returned to work the following day. Its ridiculous how we have to sacrifice what we do to keep a job. Its very underappreciated. I feel for you and understand completely.

Sincerely,
    A fellow Family Dollar worker

• Ah
      30th of Jan, 2010

Family Dollar's HR and the owners are a joke . They say tell them about what's going on in secret but they tell the DM and she tells the manager and then you get treated like ### and they find someway to get rid of you...
    This company needs to be shut down and they need to pay the employees for being mistreated ..
    The manager I know is one stupid woman whom I lost respect for because she makes her own rules and she can't spell so we have to figure what in the heck she means.
    She starts out like she is your friend and a week later she is talking behind your back and the other employees say things that she said ..
    I will never trust her but I need my job for the insurance because of incurable disease I have and no other insurance would let me buy from them...
    Well I will not be working for them soon because I won't be able to get out of bed or stand until they find a cure for me...
    I've had other managers that was the best and remained until they had enough with mistreatment of the employees from this company...If they ( the company) would do something better for the employees they would have an awesome company.

Not a happy employee...

• Ra
      11th of Mar, 2010

Sounds like Dollar General !!!

• At
      25th of Mar, 2010

I also work for Family Dollars in Atlanta, GA. My coworkers and i constantly ask our manager when will we get raises. I am a cashier, and a full time student and i have been with Family Dollars for 1 yr. When we approach her she claims upper management is responsible for giving us raises, not her. I am a full grown adult and i have worked in management before, so i know she is lying to protect her precious bonus check and payroll. But i don't know if this is just how this company works... I do know this ; i am desperately trying to find another job, i am not a quitter but i work to provide for my household, not work to keep another family dollar store afloat. It is not fair, and this dumb bish(manager) had the nerve to ask me to work an extra hour 10 min. before it is time for me to log off! The point i am making is You want me to have a heart, and help unload the truck but i can even get an rubber nickel raise!

• Ps
      4th of Apr, 2011

me being an assistant manager for family dollar agree that we are overworked & very much so underpaid. ive been workin for this company for a year & a half & still have not received any vacation time. i was told that i wont get it til ive been assistant manager for a year but ive looked all through the handbook & there is nothing in there that says that. what i read says the first day a team member reports to work is his/ her official anniversary date. this anniversary date is used to compute the following benefits: vacation grant, tenure/service awards, 401(k) vesting.

• 20
      28th of Dec, 2011

I have been a manager at family dollar for 20yrs it's not the company thats working you it's you. It sounds like you need better people working for you. I have a great team and I work 52hrs a week because we all work together. It's all about you finding the right people-then you won't have to work all those hours. everyone complains about working more than 52 hrs. you knew when you took the managers position it was salary. i have four young children and run a million five store and still manage to take my time off. it is possible you have to stand back and look at who you have workin for you and make changes.