Eyeglass World / Bait & Switch

1 FL, United States Review updated:

I phoned the Melbourne, Florida Eyeglass World on Sept 12, 2008. I told the woman who answered the phones that I had printed their "1 Pair of Glasses Only $29" coupon off their website.

I asked her if they had glasses in that price range. She said that there were. I asked if I could come in that afternoon to see them and told her I had my prescription already. She told me to come in anytime and that I didn't need an appointment.

I drove 35 minutes to the Eyeglass World in Melbourne, Florida that afternoon only to find that there were NO eyeglasses in that range!

The salesperson took me to a rack marked "clearance" that was filled with children's frames and told me the $29 frames had to be chosen from this rack but that there weren't any men's frames.

I asked her why the coupon said "any frame under $79" and she replied that the coupon was only good for clearance frames and there weren't any available.

She did tell me that she could sell me more expensive frames from the clearance rack!

I believe this is what is called a bait and switch.

Eyeglass World should be ashamed of themselves, especially since I phoned first and asked their salesperson if the glasses were available. I wasted 70 miles of my fuel and time because of their company's dishonest advertising.

Comments

• Na
      8th of Oct, 2008

I agree!!! 20/20 EyeGlass World and all of these other big box retail stores are horrible!!! That's why I go to my local eye doctors at BREVARD EYE CENTER! I get all of the attention, care and excellent prices I need. Great doctors, lots of locations so I don't have to waste gas.

• Sp
      14th of Feb, 2009

I had a similar experience today with Melbourne, FL store. I have been at the store twice this week-and called them twice, looking at frames, talking to them about their 2 pair glasses w/progressive lenses for $158.00, and asking about hidden charges (they state they have no hidden charges, lol) but when my husband and I went in today to actually PURCHASE, the price went up by $30 PER PAIR because i have a really large correction in one eye, and they charge $10 extra per diopter per eye over/under 3.00 on the sphere reading-meaning if your right eye sphere reading is -3.00 and your left eye sphere reading is + or -6.00 in another eye, you have to pay $30 dollars extra per pair for the lenses.

Now, I have read everything in their advertising, and nowhere does it state that people will be charged more for larger vision corrections. Just for upgrades, to thinner plastic, or to glass, or transistion lenses, stuff like that.

Well, they called me back several hours later offering to give me an extra $30.00 discount, so I would only be paying the extra fee on one pair of the 2 pairs of glasses I am buying. I will be calling the better business bureau, the department of commerce and the dept of professional regulation first thing monday morning.