Expedia / ruined our st valentine holiday

1 United States

On 2-Feb I booked an all-inclusive 4 star holiday in Jamaica with Expedia for one week from 12-Feb to 19 Feb at the Grand Palladium hotel, Montego Bay. Expedia debited my credit card upfront for the full amount of $1, 801 and then confirmed the booking with both Expedia and hotel confirmation numbers. On 11-Feb while I was travelling to Jamaica Expedia sent me an email saying there was a problem and that I should call them. I did not receive the email until I arrived at Montego Bay airport. I tried several times to call them but because of the snowbound weather in the US an automated response told me they were overloaded with calls from travellers. I sent various urgent emails but did not get a response. I went on to the hotel where I was told that I should contact Expedia - after a lot of discussion I was told that Expedia had cancelled the reservation on the previous day! (11-Feb) and that the hotel was now fully booked and they did not have a room for me. We were forced to look elsewhere and had to take a last minute self catering condo. It was our St Valentines holiday and my wife who would now have to cook was furious. When I finally got email responses from Expedia all they said was to call Expedia for help. From Jamaica calling the US Expedia toll free lines costs $4.30 per minute from my cell phone. Over the following week I spent over 45 minutes ($250) just getting refunded with no apolgy or even an explanation from Expedia. I did not get any kind of answer by email, I was just told to call an operator. I was finally told I was being re-imbursed only $1, 635. After several more calls I was then told they were re-imbursing the total amount. I asked Expedia to reimburse my $250 cell phone charges but they did not even reply to this request. To this day I do not know why they cancelled the hotel one day before I was due to arrive.

Al