Empire Today / poor service

1 1800-588-2300Galloway Township, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1888-588-2300

In the beginning of November, I don’t exactly remember the date; I had an estimate done on carpet and tile and made a deposit of $200.00. However, I thought the estimate was too high, so I called customer service to voice my concern. During that conversation I found that there was a special promotion. I responded to the customer service representative the sales representative did not share that information with me. I expressed to the customer service rep, that the sales person who came out to my house did not offer me any details on a promotion. As a matter of fact, he simply said to me just tell me what you want, even though I inquired about the prices. The customer service rep apologized for the misinterpretation and assured me that a manager would give me a call back. Conversely, the same sale rep who came out to my house called me back with the same spill. At this point, I had become a bit frustrated. I relayed to the sales rep I wanted to speak with a manager. Sometime thereafter, the manager did give me a call back. Unfortunately, I was not available due to my work schedule. Moving on, I returned the manger's call at least twice that I know of. By the time the manger returned my call several different arrangements had been made that I was not aware of. To say the least, it has been a whirlwind of an experience. After dealing with several different reps general managers and presidents, I was finally able to talk with the general manager and I felt he really did not want to work with me. One of the first things he said to me was, “You cancelled your order.” My reply was, “I did not.” He continues your check was returned to you on November 30th, to me this response was rude. As of today's date, I still have not received the returned check. Also, I asked about the current promotion and he replied that offered would not apply to my order. His attitude was very condescending, it was like pulling teeth, and he wanted me to just cancel the order. He asks, “What would make you happy?” I replied. He stated that would not happen and offered $400.00 off. Hence, I did not feel like he did this in good faith he was forced to make the offer, moreover, I felt that I should have qualified for the current promotion which was 60% off. To make a long story short, I choose Empire for two reasons, good recommendations and convenience. As you can see it has been anything but convenient, although, I must say, your customer service reps have been absolutely a pleasure. Please contact me at your earliest convenience, my work cell number is [protected].

Thanks in advance for your prompt attention to this matter.

V. Foreman

De

Comments

• Na
      22nd of Jul, 2007

I placed a large order for flooring. My salesman said the two coupons for $250 would be applied. He did not apply them and is no longer with the company.

Beware!

1st of Aug, 2007

Thank you for your postings about your experiences with Empire Today. It is the goal of Empire to provide world-class customer service to every customer. We ask that anyone with outstanding issues please contact the Office of the President at CustomerSupport@empiretoday.com. One of our Resolution Associates will be happy to work with you towards resolution.

Sincerely,

Corporate resolutions
    Office of the President
    Empire Today.

3rd of Aug, 2007

I had a sales man come out on 8-3-07 and he measured the 3 rooms which we needed carpeted ;never left the measurements nor a detail price just what the whole cost. My brother and myself thought it over and found the price high for the 3 rooms so I called the customer service line and after a 45 minutes on hold the order was canceled.

17th of Sep, 2007

I wish that I had read this site before having this company mangle the vinyl siding on my house. The job was super simple - replace a quarter of one side of my house where the siding was pulled off during renovations. It should have been a one day or less job. Two weeks later and FOUR visits by "installers" and the entire back of my house is in shambles. They tried to put a J-channel along the middle of the field to connect old and new siding. When my wife questioned it they said "your husband approved it". She called me immediately and I told them to stop what they were doing. They took an imprint of my wifes card but said they would not charge it until the job was finished. A "manager" came by a few days later to inspect the problem. I had to call them another two days later because they never got back to me. He said the installers made a mistake and that they could indeed connect the siding without the channel (as I was told/sold). A week goes by and they still don't show up. When I call they said they were busy with other projects. They show up finally and the installer says he can't connect the siding (and these are supposed to be vinyl siding people). I call the "manager" and they contact the installer - he then rips off the GOOD SIDING FROM THE REST OF THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE, and leaves a mess of debris. He says he will come back tomorrow to finish!!!(Sat). Then he calls and says Monday because the siding store is closed on Sat! Then I find out they charged my credit card the full install amount without our authorization or signoff on the job. I contacted my credit card company and reported it as fraud and they were able to reverse the charge. I have no idea what I am going to do now that they have destroyed the good siding on the house - it is going to cost double to get another company in to fix all these mistakes.

Avoid this company like the plague.

21st of Sep, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and we were not able to process this complaint because of the lack of information we have for this you. If you would like to speak to someone in regards to your concerns, please contact us at 847-583-3000. Ask to speak to one of the Office of the President agents that will be able to assist you.

• El
      9th of Oct, 2007
    Empire Today - Poor service!

Empire came out to my condo on Sat. Oct. with some vertical blinds window treatments. I selected what I wanted and he took measurements and when I said I would have to work during the following week he told me he would take the final measurements and I told him I would like them installed the following Saturday.

On Thursday, when I got home from the doctor and noticed a message on my machine that they had tried to come for the final measurements. I called and explained to them that the first person that came out had taken the final measurements and that they blinds were special order, which I did not know about. On Tuesday, they called again to come out to take the final measurements. I again explained what had happened and they said that the first person did not fill out what was needed to be filled out and because of that they will still have to come back. I said that means that the blinds had not been ordered and they said that was correct. I told them to cancel the order and asked about the $150.00 deposit I gave them. They said they would sent it to the proper authorities to send me my refund. I doubt I will ever see that. I had used Empire about 5 years ago with no problems but I get the feeling that they are growing too large too fast for good customer service. Thank you for listening.

Ellen Cassiani.

• St
      13th of Oct, 2007

I recently had carpet installed by Empire Today in Southern New Jersey. I had been warned about dealing with Empire Today by several people but I decided to give them a chance anyway. Please don't make the same mistake that I made.

When I met with their South Jersey Sales Rep. Joe he advised me that the price included everything, the installation, moving of my furniture, placing everything back in its place after the installation and the disconnecting and reconnecting of all electronics, restoring them to working order.

Well, I was not charged anymore money, and the installers did put everything back in its place, but... Not one piece of my electronics were reconnected leaving me with no television ( I had to pay my cable company to reconnect my components days later) and the installers cut the lines to my my telephone jack leaving me without a telephone, costing more in repairs . I contacted my salesman Joe about this and he denies saying that they would restore electronics, but I know he said it and my father who was also there remembers him saying that too. Regarding the destroyed telephone line, Joe says that never happens. My reply is, I guess there is a first time for everything but something tells me that this is not the first time. So you can do what you want to but I will never do business with this company again. Also, anyone in the NJ area beware because Joe told me that he is the sales Rep trainer, so your sales rep could be his protege.

16th of Oct, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and are currently researching this matter. You will be contacted within 24 hours to address your concerns in full detail.

• Tr
      27th of Feb, 2008

I totally HATE Empire Today! I had laminate floor installed and they totally screwed up my baseboards. This was back in Sept 2007 and it yet has been taken care of. I get nothing but a bunch of crazy illiterate people on the phone when trying to reach someone about the issue. I paid lots of $$$ for this and it looks like S***. I will never ever use them again and I advise anyone not to use them either. They dog Express flooring Home Depot, Lowes but it looks like those companies need to dog Empire.

• Os
      6th of Oct, 2008

I am in the process of replacing most of the 1st floor flooring in my home (1, 500 sqft) and adding wood treads to the stairs. I tried to schedule an in-home appointment twice with Empire and on both occassions the appointment was cancelled the morning of the scheduled day. Their inability to reliably keep to a sceduled appointment begs the question if they can keep to an installation date and offer quality installation. My experience thus far with their 800 representatives and the scheduling by the local office reflects a poorly run and unprofessional organization. I'll take my business elsewhere.

• Do
      19th of Jan, 2009

I agree. I feel like EMPIRETODAY is a rip off company.

I am reporting them to my local BBB and urge everyone that is ripped off or unhappy with service or product to do the same.

If the BBB hears enough complaints...something will be done.

Complain effectively.

• Bu
      9th of Dec, 2010

Thank you for bringing your sales experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience. A representative from our customer service team will contact you soon.