Emirates / excess baggage charges

United Kingdom, England, Northumberland Review updated:
Has anyone else been ripped off by emirates for excess baggage? At & pound;35 per kilo!

In september 2008 emirates withdrew their "migration" tickets apparently, which had a 40kg baggage allowance per person. We booked our flights in october 2008, when they gave us 20kg allowance per person from newcastle, via dubai to perth, australia.

Knowing this would not be enough I checked with our movers, pickfords, for some airfreight and they priced 150kg of unaccompanied air baggage, to be collected from our house and to be picked up from perth intl airport at & pound;350 all in. So I reckoned, even if emirates were a bit more expensive it would be worth it to be able to arrive with all our luggage at the same time. And I was sure we wouldn't need 150kg.

At the check in the nice young lady saw we had excess baggage and then weighed everything. Handbaggage too - even our children's cuddly toys.In total, except for ourselves, we had 105kg of excess baggage, and emirates wanted & pound;3675! They gave us 3 choices, pay up and board, abandon 105kg of baggage and board or walk away. They then waived 48kg of baggage, 28kg of which was handbaggage anyway, in effect giving us a free suitcase, and wanted & pound;1995 for the remaining 57kg.

In effect, it costs the same for 20kg of excess baggage as it does a full adult fare and their 20kg allowance. I have tried to complain to emirates and asked them to at least justify their pricing policy but they replied:

"an airline is at liberty to determine the excess baggage rates it charges and to change these at any time"

They wont justify the excess baggage charges and they obviously bear no relation to the actual costs incurred to them as the carrier.

As such they can be rightly described as a "rip off". As a pax, at check-in, you have very few options and very little time to arrange anything.

No other carrier charges anything like these rates as far as I know. Thieving b******s.

A  8th of Mar, 2009 by
I went on holiday at the end of 2008 to Australia, and decided to go Business Class, as it was going to be the trip of a lifetime. The ticket cost me almost 4500 euros, for which I expected a high level of service - how wrong can you be? I had a wonderful holiday until I returned to Brisbane airport for the return journey to Cyprus. Yes, I knew I was over the limit, but did not expect to be charged AUD920 (approx 460 euros) excess baggage charges! It was not just the charges, but the total attitude of the Emirates staff at Brisbane. I was not offered unaccompanied baggage, nor was it mentioned to me by them. I have written to Emirates and complained (and not just about this), but all I received was a letter back saying they were bringing my points to the duty manager - in fact, nothing at all. I hope to return to Australia in a couple of years - will I travel Emirates? NO I don't think so!

Emirates Group / Emirates.com Logo Emirates Group / Emirates.com