eFax / Faxes with sent confirmation not being sent

Efax.com / j2 Communications
Los Angeles
Sent an important fax three times as a pdf file. Each time confirmation given by eFax that fax was sent along with the size of the pdf file.

Fax was not received. Phoned India tech support. Was told that pdf not supported. I said that eFax's website said that pdf WERE supported. "Yes, sometimes" came the reply.

I tried unsuccessfully to talk about the wider issue of the damage I had suffered but supervisor would not come on the line - instead he offered me $2 credit.

I looked at their corporate identity: J2 Telecommnication LLC in Los Angelese no longer exists according to the California Secretary of State's website. No one answers the telephone listed on the efax domain record.

Anyone know who in Government would be interested in pursuing this?

D  12th of Feb, 2009 by

I am the original poster and I would like to report a satisfactory outcome.

Shortly after posting my complaint, I received a message from the Efax/J2 CEO's office seeking to find out what had gone wrong for me.

I had a very helpful telephone conversation with them which resolved to my satisfaction the technical issues involved.

It was so frustrating that technical support could not do this. It's a great pity too that there is no clear feedback from the system when this known problem (see below) occurs.

But, I have to say that I will carry on as an efax customer given the response I have now received. Thanks to Complaints Board for hooking us up.

The technical details for those interested:-

- The pdfs I am uploading from my macbook are not being accepted by the efax service because the mac os strips off the file extension. I know to fix that now.

- When I got a "SENT" icon on the webpage, that related to the upload to the efax website, and was not telling me that the fax had ben sent out to the recipient. I need to see an email confirmation to be sure that the fax was sent out.
N  15th of Jul, 2009 by
I normally have to send my faxes TWICE (same pdf files both times) before they can reach my destination. and this is after receiving a SUCCESSFULLY SENT email! I will call them soon, but in my past experience, i've been put on hold way too long. so it may not be worth the $2 they will refund me
A  27th of Jul, 2009 by
AVOID eFax at all costs!! All attempts by other people (and myself to test) to send faxes to the number provided failed. When I got confirmation eMail that fax had been successfully sent they were never received. (No nothing wrong with my PDF's etc). Trying to cancel account by phone is guaranteed to make you wish you still had a teletype machine. It will cost you a fortune in phone calls and broken blood vessels. Try UTBox instead, it was lousy in 2005 but tried it again this year 2009 and had no problems.

eFax Logo eFax