EasyJet / unfair luggage charges

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

When boarding at Gatwick I was charged twenty five pounds because my luggage weighed 5kg over the maximum weight of 20kg. I find it completely unfair that there was no pre-warning of the maximum weight. There were several other passengers who were also forced to pay charges and whom were all also unaware that the maximum weight of luggage was just 20kg. Incredibly, there is a sign which reads " weight restrictions apply within reason". I do not believe that a twenty five pound charge is reasonable for 5kg. If Easyjet wish to be so strict with these rules then why don't they make it clear to flyers that this is the case? I suspect it is so they can make hundreds of pounds a day from their customers who simply do not have a choice in the matter. I think it is only fair that customers should be informed of the rules prior to their flights so they have the opportunity to ensure they do not go over the restrictions. To let people arrive at the boarding gate then tell them they are carrying too much is a totally unfair system. After all, the flyer can hardly do anything about it once at the gate.

Comments

• Mi
      4th of Oct, 2007

Dear Sir/Madam,
    I am emailing a complaint regarding to a ridiculous payment I had to pay out to change a surname on a flight. I flew to Barcelona on Fri 28th Sept 2007 at 9.45am. However I realised that I had put my friends name on to the booking who was not flying instead of the friend who was flying. So as a result I had to change the name Mrs.Ann.Howard to Mrs.Ann.Taylor. I was charged £140 to change one name. Could you please explain to me why this amount was charged by Easyjet, compared to another airline which charges only £10 for the same thing. It was explained to me I had to pay for another flight, I do not understand or agree with this as there was empty seats on this flight. I would like to know how Easyjet can justify this.
    Miss Kellie Mckeown

• Ta
      20th of Jul, 2008

I will never fly with this airline again.
    I tried to book our Christmas vacation as every year but now they put in extra charges for your baggage, sports, taxes, and many more.
    This is just not what this airline was all about to start with offering low cost, easy on-line bookings with no frills.
    I am afraid the days of easyjet are now numbered and we will be booking with other companies in the future.
    They should be renamed as NOT VERY EASY JET AS WE ADD ON LOTS OF EXTRA MONEY TO YOUR BOOKING.COM.
    This company was sold out at the right time by Stelios as it cannot supply what its name suggests -EASY.
    Try booking and you will see what I mean!