EasyJet / air booking in arrangements

Cambridge, United Kingdom

We had a very pleasant experience of the Azamara cruise itself, from 21 April 2013 to 28 April 2013. My complaint is that the air travel arrangements were extremely deficient on the way home, travelling with Easyjet on an Azamara "block booking." My husband and I and at least 6 other couples from the Azamara cruise were traveling home to Gatwick London on Easyjet 8574 departing at 15.35.from Barcelona. We were all couples and all allocated separate seats with husbands and wives sitting apart. The airline refused when requested by the passengers to allow spouses to sit together, unless they paid a 16 euros fee to change to adjacent seats. One couple (the wife was a nervous flyer) paid the fee and sat in adjacent seats. All the other couples were annoyed to say the least and sat apart from each other on the way home. Easyjet staff stated that this was due to the computer allocating seats and, as it was a block booking, they could not be changed, except if one were prepared to pay the 16 euros each fee (so they could be changed). This is clearly a money making ploy by Easyjet and I do not know if Azamara is aware of this practice. It spoilt what had been a pleasant and well organized cruise, with passengers using words like "outrageous" "disappointing" and "unacceptable", all of which I would also use. Please treat this as a complaint. I am sure that your company will not be happy to receive my and other passengers' complaints on this matter, and I look forward to hearing from you with your comments and suggestions. The passengers all spoke together about their dissatisfaction and it was clear that we all booked through different travel agents, such as 118 cruises, Iglu, Bolsover and several others. So for all practical purposes, we were not a block booking unless Azamara made the booking, in which case Azamara are responsible for the appalling service on the way home.
By the way, there were empty seats on the way home. I was in 2D and the row behind 3D, 3E and 3F were empty. I asked the stewardess Emilia (Cabin manager) if anyone could move into them and her actual words in response were, "only if you pay". I shared this with other passengers but all passengers were so annoyed that the seats were vacant all the way home and so were quite a number of single seats.

Please respond as a matter of urgency.

Ge