E-Harmony / dating scam!

1 CA, United States Review updated:

When I was a member of E-harmony more than 95% of the men they matched me up with lived at least 1000 miles away from me and the few who lived less than 200 miles away (whom I could count on one hand) closed me out. I live in Boston. E-harmony's matching program couldn't find ANY men in my heavily-populated area with whom to match me? Somethings fishy since as soon as I let my membership expire, E-harmony then magically was suddenly able to find me matches in the Boston area, often sending me one or more a week as "bait" to get me to sign up again. It makes me question their ethics.

Also, I signed up specifying no automatic renewal. They put me in for automatic renewal. I spent hours figuring out how to change it on the computer and e-mailing them to confirm that they had done it. Yet when my membership expired they **still** automatically renewed me! Luckily I had used a specially-generated credit card number that has a dollar-cap and the renewal bounced. Then they e-mailed me asking me to give them a new credit card number since they couldn't automatically renew me and wanted to. Slimey and unethical. Avoid this company. They rip people off and I feel bad for people who are signing up in good faith. I think of what they will have to deal with. It is sad to be scammed.

Ma

Comments

• Ba
      25th of Mar, 2008

Totally Agree with you. Unethical, Slimey and wish I had read your comments before I "on a whim" let this corporation have access to my checking account. They automatically renewed my membership on Easter Sunday. Then sent me an email the same day, easter sunday, of what they did. Like they are my partner - or best friend - or had my knowledge and concent. When I called on MOnday, the next day, to tell them that I had no intention of re-newing as the 3 month plan had expired, they told me to late, the increase in fee that they took out of my checking account was the "discount" fee of the normal price. What a bunch of con artists. Please don't let this hocus pocus disney fantasy hype gypsy good for NOTHING CORPORATION get thier hands on your bank account. THEY ARE BAD. THEY HAVE NO MEN. IT IS ALL SMOKE AND ILLUSION AND YOU DO PAY. I will tell every woman I know - and don't know to BEWARE. BAD BAD BAD PEOPLE WHO WANT THIER HANDS ON YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.

• J
      11th of Jun, 2008

First, let me say that I was a member of eharmony for two years. I knew of the monthly fees, and I gave them a specific credit card to charge, which worked fine. Two months later, I changed from the monthly membership to the annual membership. I was billed on my next statement, and I was fine with that. When you compare $49.95 per month for 12 months to the reduced rate, it was worth it. I never had a problem with the annual charge. I was always notified when my subscription needed to be renewed.

Think about buying a house. Would you settle for just what's out there, knowing you'll never be happy where you are and knowing that there other possibilities out there? Or do you want to options, and be able to be in control of your options?

It's what you WANT it to be. Specify it. Fine-tune it. That goes for your relationships, what you want in dating, and what you want in life. I set-up my matches to find someone with similar interests, hobbies, lifestyle, religion... Make it what you want. Go for what you want on a long-term, not just short-term. That's okay too.

If I felt that I was being scammed, I would have cancelled eharmony a long time ago. But I researched it, I read a lot about it, read a lot of testimonials, and asked a lot of questions about it. I am not the type of person to accept things "as is", so I look into things which spark my attention. I was never scammed with Eharmony, ever. Did they offer different packages and options? YES. But I declined each one of them because I was happy with the eharmony program, and I was out for looking for SOMEONE not SOMETHING.

When I set-up my profile, I made sure that the women that I set-up a basic simple profile, and I didn't specify a lot of information. I received about 50+ matches a few days in a row. I signed back on, and changed my matches to at least the same state that I lived in (New Jersey). Then, I went through the current matches and specified reasons why not to be matched with the people out of state.

I went on sporadic dates here and there, but they weren't the type of woman that I was looking for. So, I modified my profile, going from the "basic simple" search for someone, and narrowing it down a little as to what I was looking for. Age, height, background, kids. Although I made modifications, I was still open-minded. I received a lot of matches, most of which closed me out as "they live too far" or "no compatibility". I did go on some dates with people whom I thought were nice, but they didn't feel a "connection". If the compatibility wasn't there, then there wasn't a need to continue. However, I never walked out in the middle of a date. I'm not like that.

So, I specified exactly what I was looking for. I took the 200 question test again. I did a lot of thinking about my Q&A, and I rewrote a lot of my information with more personalized information about myself. In other words, I put myself on a limb, dropped my guard, and just let myself out there. I wanted people to see who I was as a person, and I wanted to go from there.

I met and dated a lot of different people. Most were single dates, and I was alright with that. I had short-term relationships (3-5 months) with some women.

I was matched with someone in February 2007. We talked every day in eharmony, sharing a lot about each other. After a month, we setup our first date, which went very well. The conversations that we had in eharmony were the basis for our conversations, and they sparked other conversations. It was great, we had a fantastic time. We dated each other on a Saturday, then again on Sunday. When I got home, I signed onto eharmony, and started closing out my matches who were not in open communication saying "I am pursuing another relationship" because I feel that I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt why I closed their match. Over the next few days, I sent messages to the other people I was in open communication with, letting them know that I have met someone and that I wish them good luck in their search, and also closed the match.

We're now dating over a year. We have taken vacations together, travelled together, went to concerts together, dinners, countless movies, Broadway shows, white water rafting, camping, and we just have a great time at whatever we want to do.

It's what YOU want it to be. Specify exactly what you want - age, location, etc. Don't settle. Go for what you want in someone.

Good luck. :)

• Gr
      4th of Mar, 2010
    E-Harmony - Fraud
    Eharmony

I think E-harmony is a great big rip off !
    I would like to know how to get in touch with this company ? If anyone knows please inform me.
    I thought that a pay dating site would be the way to go but I now I know it's not. I much prefer Plentyoffish which is a free site. There needs to be a class action suit brought against them !

• Su
      20th of Mar, 2010

I agree that it is a way to separate decent romantically inclined people from their money. Most guys that I have been sent live over 300 miles away. I am college educated but many cannot string simple sentences together! No photos. When you ask questions about their lifestyle they suddenly stop the process. Some of the guys are decent and I feel for them also that they were paired with someone not compatible. Physical attraction IS inportant. Eharmony just doesn't get that - or likely just wants your money and doesn't care.

• Ho
      29th of Jul, 2010

e-Harmony is total nonsense. I was a member for 6 months and while it was easy enough to cancel I never comunicated with ladies at all. I am not a weirdo or anything, I have had a few good relationships in the past, but wanted to try something different. Being matched on values, and personality appealled to me. Nothing. Not one single match that was even remotely what I was looking for. I specified certain things which were completely ignored and I was constantly matched with ladies more than 500 miles from me - I'm in London. It's just another money maker who prey on people feeling lonely or looking for their soulmate. My advice to anyone - AVOID ALL DATING SITES - just get out there and meet people. G/L.