DTE Energy / billing errors & bad customer service

United States, Michigan Review updated:
DTE Energy
Over the past 10 months, dte energy has mis-read my gas meter three times resulting in outrageous charges, which I at first refused to pay. In prior years, it was common to have this happen once or twice a year.
I complained each time and was promised the problem would be fixed. It was not! Furthermore, their customer service department throws up roadblocks at every opportunity when I called, including refusing to transfer your call to a supervisor, and putting your call on endless hold to discourage you. I have also been told "sorry, there are no supervisors available today". They also ask you to repeat your service address, phone number, account information, etc. Repeatedly - again to discourage you from pursuing your complaint.
Right now, I have been waiting over a month for copies of my past bills, so I can compare them with the checks I have sent them.
Trying to escalate to a higher level in dte is futile. They do not publish phone numbers or email addresses of their employees. Everyone above the level of clerk is totally insulated from the public. I am able to email the president of the united states, but I can't contact a supervisor at dte energy!
I involved the michigan public utility commission, but they also seem to care little about customer complaints. There has been no follow-through initiative on their part to push for a resolution to my problem. It has been up to me - every time - to initiate contact and complain about the lack of resolution. They respond, but take no leadership role.
Early on, I insisted on corresponding by email so I have proof of what happened (Or didn't happen) and when. This hard-copy may be needed if this problem ever gets to court.

A  19th of Aug, 2010 by
File a complaint with the The Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) If enough people file their complaints against DTE Energy and DTE Energy has to pay enough fines they will start treating their customers the right way: To Submit Natural Gas Utility Inquiry or Complaint http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/mpsc/gas/gascomplaint.html and to Submit Electric Utility Inquiry or Complaint http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/mpsc/electric/eleccomplaint.html
N  14th of Feb, 2014 by
Dte employees are useless. They do as little as possible to get work completed. Dte is suppose to be the one to make sure code is followed but they allow lines to run out of code and then want the customer to live with it and act Like it is not their problem to correct the way they ran them to begin with. They are a piece of s...t. Fire the supervisors.
A  9th of May, 2017 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Based on my personal experience with DTE, I must strongly agree. There needs to be something done. Better training could possibly help. Worst customer service I've ever experienced.
N  20th of Nov, 2017 by
DTE is unable to turn new service on as I froze Equifax, transunion and experian because of the recent Equifax hack. So now when one wants to have elec service turned on for new address - one has to unfreeze. So I did -Consumer Energy had no problem. DTE DOES! it has been a solid week since I have been on the phone with them. They insist credit still froze. Equifax and experian is unfroze - even have a confirmation #. Consumer Energy sees it is unfroze. my bank sees it as unfroze. Finally after 3 days Supervisor Lisa promised the new service would be on in my name Nov 18 2017. guesss what - they turned it off!!! Somebody -please tell me where I can get help. I am 70 yrs old and after a week of begging fighhting trying to make sense to DTE my nerves are shot!!

DTE Energy Logo DTE Energy