Dollar Rent A Carsteals money

Dollar Rent A Car (complaint) – Daylight Robbery

Just to make it clear, we made our car rental reservation through a third party company called Booking Group (known as bookinggroup.com or economybookings.com). When troubles started Dollar blamed everything on the third party company. I'm not buying it…

Dollar robbed us 3 times:
1. According to the voucher we were holding the balance was EUR 127: "€ 127.03 is payable to Dollar on your arrival".
(Approximately $190 at that time)
Dollar charged us $250. After an 11 hours flight it was not easy to argue...what could we do?

Dollar response: "Our records indicate your reservation was booked as $250 in our system for the rental charges, which is what you were charged. Since the Euro amount was quoted to you by the third party company, and they booked the reservation in our system as $250, we must ask you pursue this matter further with the third party."

2. According to the voucher the drop-off location was Manhattan (no fee mentioned):
"Drop-off location: USA New York, Manhattan, Manhattan Downtown"
Dollar charged us with an extra $50, which was a Drop-off fee for returning the car to a different location than the original.

Dollar response: "Since our records indicate this vehicle was reserved with Dollar to return to JFK, we must conclude the third party booked with us incorrectly"

3. Dollar did not explain that the prepaid fuel plan is just an option; we understood that we have to take it.

Dollar response: "It appears you accepted prepaid fuel upon pickup. This was $34.29."

My recommendation: Don't book Dollar Rent-A-Car; Don't do business with Booking Group.

Shahar Galili (on behalf of my wife and sister-in-law)

Bookinggroup ref [protected] / Dollar ref S3869742 / Dollar Case ID 1337704

Comments

• Ta
      Mar 09, 2010

I rented a van from LAX and verbally declined the additional insurance 3 times. My husband also declined the coverage verbally. When the paperwork was put in front of us I was told to initial beside the D to decline the additional insurance coverage. When I got home I realized I was charged for the coverage. When I complained they said I didn't initial beside the tiny decline, so the charge stands. I thought that initialling beside the D and verbally saying decline 4 times meant decline. You would think when I said the the agent that I did not want the coverage and I initialled stating I did not want the coverage that it meant I did not want the coverage. I am a auto insurance broker and I know I have the coverage on my auto insurance so there is no way I would have accepted the additional coverage. I will not stop until I get my money back. I am so tired of big companies taking advantage of the public. If they rip us all off for $300 each, I know why there is so little money with the common people.

• Er
      Mar 23, 2012

A word of caution to everyone, who intends to rent Dollar/Thrifty cars in Germany. Dollar/Thrifty uses a licensee in Germany with very dubious, misleading, deceptive and fraudulent business practices. When you order the car on the Dollar or Thrifty website, you will receive the usual confirmation, which breaks down the rental cost in its subcomponents such as airport fees, VAT, road tax etc. Nothing was mentioned of a mandatory insurance premium of €20 ($28) per day. For every car I ever rented anywhere in the world, the credit card always covered the insurance premium. The AMEX Gold card specifically mentioned this coverage. It was the counter agent at the airport, who insisted on another €400.- ($560.-) insurance premium. It is highly immoral to spring this surprise on customers who just arrived on a sleepless trans-Atlantic overnight flight. This made the car the most expensive car I ever rented.
    In addition, the car had no air conditioning and when I started phoning the agency on the 0700 number supplied on the rental agreement, I was constantly put on hold and transferred to other agents and found out later, why. The 0700 is not toll free number, but costs appr €1.- ($1.35) per minute, an attractive side income for the agency. Should you be in the unfortunate position to have to call the agency for help, use their German direct dial number [protected]. It will still be a long-distance call, but infinitely cheaper than the 0700 number. I spent an additional $50 in calling the agency for help, which I never got. I drove around in an oven for 3 weeks with temperatures of over 30C (85F). It later turned out that the connecting hoses for the A/C on this brand-new car were missing.

Apr 27, 2018

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. THEY JUST WANT TO SUCK MONEY FROM THEIR CUSTOMERS.
    I rented a car from dollar from their SF airport location and drove to my friends place who lives in a private community. I parked my car at the visitor's parking spot. But for some reason the car got towed. I informed dollar immediately about it. Next morning I went to the impound location to get the car back, the officers were nice enough to say that if dollar provided them with the necessary information, they would release the car immediately, but of course dollar refused to do so.
    Something that could have done immediately took dollar 6 days to get the car back from the impound and they charged me with a bill of $1800.
    I tried calling them and explain my situation and also offered to pay one night impound fees with I agree is reasonable. They talked over me and kept on saying we can't do anything about it.
    I am going to dispute all the charges and fight until I can. There is no way I am paying a penny to them.
    Seriously dollar, because of your lack of efficiency and lack of professionalism you will charge your customers. Any way dollar does not have a good reputation. I don't know how this company still exists!!!