Diversified Collection Services / Miss leading actions/Misrepresentation
I received a letter from this company stating that I owed a delinquent debt from the State of Louisiana Department of revenue. The letter looked official enough so I call them and spoke with Alyssa @ ext 3710. I must admin that it did cross my mind that I could have messed up something on my taxes but then she explained that it was for Tax year 1999. This seemed od since I lived in Texas at from late '98-2000. When I told her as much, she said that they were going to file a levee against me in 2 days unless I paid the debt in full. She added that I would have 2 full years to dispute the claim, but I must first pay the debt. This all sounded a bit shady fo rI contacted the Louisiana Department of Revenue Collection Division.
Here is were things got interesting, they told me that the fees were from failure to file a tax return for the year 1999. I let them know that I was a Texas resident that year and she told me to simply provide proof of residency in Texas and all would be good. I expressed concern about DCS filling legal proceeding and she told me they had no legal right to. I called DCS back and explained this to Alyssa. She came up with a story about only dealing with computers and never talking on the phone with the people that hire them. Then she said that they are still filling legal action tomorrow. I must admit I lost my cool at that point.
When I settled down, I looked on the BBB's site for DCS and found 190 complaints. Make that 191 as of 30 minutes ago. They show an A rating somehow so I looked and it seams that when challenged, they tend to fold. Most scams do. I contacted the Louisiana Attorney General's office and am contemplating contacting the California Attorney General's office. If they file and legal proceeding against me, I will sue them, although I doubt it would matter much.
I do not understand how this is legal...
More Diversified Collection Services Complaints & Reviews
- Diversified Collection Services - Abusive and deceitful collection 
- Diversified Collection Services, Inc. (DCS) - Harassing phone calls 
- Diversified Collection Services - taking tax refund 
- Diversified Collection Serviced - Unfair debt collection practices 
- Diversified Collection Services - Harrassment of Neighbors 
- Diversified Collection Services - Unverifiable State Tax Debt 
- DCS, Diversified Collection Services, Inc - Student Loan Collection 
- Diversified Collection Services - Misleading, untruthful 
- Diversified Collection Services - Illegal Harassment 
- Diversified Collections Services inc - garnishment of wages