Diversified Collection Services / Miss leading actions/Misrepresentation

1 P.O. Box 9056Pleasanton, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-866-5317

I received a letter from this company stating that I owed a delinquent debt from the State of Louisiana Department of revenue. The letter looked official enough so I call them and spoke with Alyssa @ ext 3710. I must admin that it did cross my mind that I could have messed up something on my taxes but then she explained that it was for Tax year 1999. This seemed od since I lived in Texas at from late '98-2000. When I told her as much, she said that they were going to file a levee against me in 2 days unless I paid the debt in full. She added that I would have 2 full years to dispute the claim, but I must first pay the debt. This all sounded a bit shady fo rI contacted the Louisiana Department of Revenue Collection Division.

Here is were things got interesting, they told me that the fees were from failure to file a tax return for the year 1999. I let them know that I was a Texas resident that year and she told me to simply provide proof of residency in Texas and all would be good. I expressed concern about DCS filling legal proceeding and she told me they had no legal right to. I called DCS back and explained this to Alyssa. She came up with a story about only dealing with computers and never talking on the phone with the people that hire them. Then she said that they are still filling legal action tomorrow. I must admit I lost my cool at that point.

When I settled down, I looked on the BBB's site for DCS and found 190 complaints. Make that 191 as of 30 minutes ago. They show an A rating somehow so I looked and it seams that when challenged, they tend to fold. Most scams do. I contacted the Louisiana Attorney General's office and am contemplating contacting the California Attorney General's office. If they file and legal proceeding against me, I will sue them, although I doubt it would matter much.

I do not understand how this is legal...

Comments

• Ba
      15th of Dec, 2010

I personally contacted the US department of Education to start repaying my school loan back. But just today I was contacted by DCS, a person named Mary Alvernez was threatening me and also saying that I owe way way way much more than I actually do. I was trying to distpute this amount and alls she did was say, if you can not pay it back then we will take legal action. I responded with, well if you come with a legal action of this amount I will take legal action myself and then she hung up. I am not sure how they came up with this number they are charging me for but I have documentation on the amount still owed on my school loans and it is no where close on what they are saying I owe. Is there someone that has gone through this and is there anyone that can help?

• Je
      17th of Dec, 2010

I am really hoping you get this! I am so angry I am trembling. My story is almost exactly as yours, except they said I owe taxes to Virginia for years I was living in Texas. How did you resolve this?