DirecTV / genie replacement

1 United States

On Nov 27, 2018, the hard drive failed in my primary TV Genie. I called Direct TV and the customer rep said one would be express mailed (1-2 day shipping) for $19.95 or I could purchase insurance, in which case the shipping is waived. I asked why I had to purchase insurance or pay shipping when it was their equipment that failed (it's only a year and a couple of months old). I was told it was in my contract that I pay for replacement equipment. I paid and the call ended. On Dec 1, I called because I still hadn't received the replacement Genie. At this point, I had lost all my previously recorded shows and was unable to record any new episodes, along with no playback or pause features. The rep I spoke to said actually the Genie had not been shipped because they are out and not sure when more will come in. I was told that once it was shipped, my bill would be adjusted. I said "thanks" and ended the call. It is now December 8, no Genie, so I called again. I was told the same thing as the Dec 1 call. This time, I asked if this means they are not signing up any new Direct TV customers due to the unavailability of the Genie's. I was told that the supply for new customers is different. So, I take that to mean new customers are more valuable than existing ones? I will give it one more week and then explore options for cancelling my contract as I am not willing to pay Direct TV prices for basic television.

Je