Diamonds International / selling junk jewelry!

Beware of diamonds international!!! On a cruise we made the mistake of believing the "super shopper" when listening to his "great buys in the ports" presentation on board. After purchasing a diamond ring in cozumel, mexico, we got home to have another appraisal done and found it was graded lower than it was represented. Further more, it was advised that I not wear the ring as the imperfections were such that if hit, it could be broken. This is suppose to be a diamond, a hard stone! Because our appraisal was the two grades below what di said it was, they had to agree to a full refund. We bought it in feb. And it is now the middle of may. They now have both the ring and our money. They have said our credit card would be credited and it has not. After all this time of unanswered messages and phone calls, they seem to think I am going away. Wrong! This is not a message from one dissatisfied customer. You can find many places and blogs to tell you of this misleading company. Two other members of our party were ripped off also. This was not an isolated case. I blame the cruise lines as well for promoting these deceptive practices. The fraudulent practices of diamonds international are to be avoided at all costs. They hope you will go away, but they have sold their junk to the wrong people. Many people are hearing about their fleecing of the public.

Comments

11th of Nov, 2008

My wife and I were just on a Carnival cruise and like everyone else we were told by the on board buying expert how great Diamonds International was. We went into the DI store in Belize and we picked out a princess cut diamond and setting to upgrade the modest engagement ring I purchased when we first were married. After they set the diamond I noticed what looked like a scratch in the stone. Although it turned out to be an inclusion that was previously not visible it completely ruined the stone. In fact, it was ugly.

The staff and the buyer from Carnival were very eager to fix the problem as my wife had not seen the ring after it was mounted. Long story short they found another stone that was a little better quality so I paid $500 more. They said I was buying a 1.05 ct VS1 K color princess cut diamond. Total cost with the setting was $4500.00 and the stone is gorgeous.

When we got home I looked on the internet and found posts and complaints like this one that made me very worried. I quickly made an appointment to have it appraised and was stunned to find out it appraised at $7500.00. The gemologist estimate the weight at 1.07 ct. She rated it a VS2 but color I.

Under a microscope it's flawless to my eyes and the gemologist said it was a very, very nice stone. On another note, while I was picking out my wife's stone she was buying me a Breitling watch I had my eye on. The jewelry store I had her ring appraised at is also an authorized Breitling dealer and I found out she got a great deal on the watch too.

In summary, our experience with DI was outstanding and we would buy from them again without hesitation. But you need to really look at what you're buying very closely because I could have walked out of there with an ugly stone had I not looked carefully. I don't think they were trying to pull a fast one because the inclusion was not visible until the stone was mounted. And they were eager to make us happy.

• Qu
      5th of Oct, 2010

Fact #1 : The "super shoppers" receive kickbacks and are paid a commission on all stores they recommend. During their little "talks" they will put the fear of god into you if you don't buy from a recommended store, while there are some truths in that remember always the "shopper" is basically the first sales person you see for the shops they represent.
    Fact #2: When you go into most of the jewelry stores on your cruise you are buying what is referred in the industry as "junk jewelry." If you knew the true markup you would need ... counseling.
    Fact#3: To buy a diamond that is an I1 and assume that it not "junk" you obviously done your homework.
    Fact#4 If you go into a store and see it is filled with sales people that are well under 30 years old is not a wise decision to make.
    Going into a jewelry store making an "emotional purchase" at a place where you are going to be for 8 hours at best is not wise. Best to study the issue first and then only buy a quality stone that is certified by a reputable agency such as GIA or AGI.