Cox Communicationsbait & switch

We are filing complain against Cox Communications for a bait & switch scam to draw customers into plans that were not initially described in the details during the sales sign up session over the phone. We are now discovering after 6 months into the contract. Long story short, we were previous Cox customers and had switched to Direct TV. Direct TV was pulling some of the same tactics that we are experiencing now with Cox, so we sought to return to Cox. We requested to sign up for a plan that would lock in a 2-year freeze on price increases that we might stabilize our bills. Cox customer service personnel assured us we would be able to lock-in for the same rate, for "The bundle" (digital phone, Internet & Cable TV) in the amount of $143.46/mo. Having repeatedly requesting the steady price guarantee for 2 years and being assured yes, yes, yes, we signed up. Two months into the contract, bills increased requiring a call to customer service. At that time the Customer Service agent (one elevated to handle tier-2 issues the main floor does not) indicated a box was not checked on the initial application by the initial service agent, and that was why we didn't qualify for the rate lock that was going away after a certain date. She fixed the account back and for 4 months rate stayed locked. Now after 6 months, rate increased more than $75/mo. Now the agent indicates there were limitations where discounts fall off after 6 month and will again additional (undisclosed) discounts will fall further after 1 year. Also told if we drop service we would be charged $180 (approximately). Still trying to remain condensed in the problem description, understand there are much more pressing issues than ours, but would appreciate any assistance you can provide against this type (SLAMMING) type service contract "bait & switch" tactics.

Mi
Jul 31, 2014

Comments

• Co
      Aug 01, 2014

Hello Mikenjones,
    This is not the type of experience that we want our customers to go through. Please allow me to get to the bottom of this for you. When you have a chance, please email my team at cox.[protected]@cox.com with your name, service address, and a copy of your complaint or link to this post.
    Tiffany

• Do
      Nov 10, 2014

i also have had nothing but problems with plans and billing by this company. i feel like a victim cause i am by this corporation that uses and pays foreign workers to screw you repeatedly to make extra money.. my advise...class action lawsuit.

• Do
      Nov 10, 2014

like i said this company needs a class action lawsuit filled against it.. their behaviour has effects on more then just cox... i'm from canada..i will be leaving the united states and never coming back...i have had no problems with any of the other accounts i have made here or services through other providers.. what i have had is enough of cox and many small operators that do things like property maintenance. all n all i have concluded the weather is the only thing nice in arizona and its a shame. i will be spending my retirement and money in another country .

• Ro
      Dec 31, 2014

This last summer my elderly mother agreed to have Cox bundle her telephone, television and internet service. The package deal was a "guaranteed fixed rate" with a 2-year service contract. My mother likes to watch the Tennis Channel. She added a sports viewing package for an additional $15 per month, with the same guaranteed terms for 2-years. Before the service was installed, the Cox employee was asked if there would be any additional fees or charges. That Cox representative answered, "No." My mother's first bill was for $154. The extra was for the taxes and fees that were never mentioned or discussed, plus the two unwanted and unmentioned premium movie channels that had to be purchased separately in order to receive the sports viewing package. On the latest statement that was just received my mother is being billed for $189; no word yet as to why Cox has changed the terms of the arrangements that had been made with them -- again.

• Ba
      Feb 08, 2015

I am going through something similar, so this is clearly a company tactic. They indicated that the price lock would come with a two year contract. I had to push it out iof them that, well, the monthly rates would increase after 12 months. To my shock and surprise, I received a very nondescript envelope in the mail a month after starting my service with them --- a piece of mail that I would normally throw away. When I opened it, I saw a notice from Cox that my rate had not officially been locked in and would not be until I called a local Cox number, a number I had called several times before over another issue and never got answer or a returned call. When I called the main toll free number, of course they could do nothing, as customer service was closed. But they did inform me that my so-called locked in rate would end after only one month of service.
    What a joke and a SCAM. I have reported them to the Federal Communications Commission and will get an attorney if need be.

• Ba
      Feb 08, 2015

I am having a similar problem. Their advertising and customer service people lead you to believe that, as a new customer, your introductory rate is locked in for two years. I had to specifically ask them if this was a one-year or two-year rate, then they "admitted" it was a one-year rate.
    But then, a month after ordering service, a fiasco itself to obtain, I received a nondescript envelope from Cox -- a piece of mail that could easily have been discarded without opening, as there was no indication that it was a bill or anything important. There was a letter telling me that I needed to contact the local Cox number -- a number that is never answered and no one returns calks (believe me, I know) -- IF I WANTED MY PRICE LOCKED IN.
    No one was available to talk to me, but a tech person at their toll free number told me that my price lock in was to expire in a few days, ONE MONTH after my service began.
    What kind of company does this? I imagine that the elderly and people who are especially busy totally get taken for a ride with this sort of thing.
    I have reported COX to the Federal Communications Commission and will retain an attorney if need be. I cannot imagine how many people are being ripped off and cheated by these unethical business practices.

• Kh
      Feb 26, 2015

I am facing the same problem! I just filed a complaint on BBB! When I tried to talk about being overcharged and the difference between what I signed and what I got the customer service girl threatened to hang up on me, and when I asked for someone in charge she actually did hang up on me!!!

Jul 01, 2016

Price Lock my @$$. Rate went up more that $30.00 after a year. Here is my agreement we were sent when I signed up.
    Price Lock Guarantee
    You have entered into a 24 month service agreement with Cox starting on 05/16/2015 in which you agreed to keep Cox Digital Telephone service for the service agreement term. During the service agreement term, Cox agreed not to increase your rate above the non-discounted retail rate as of the date of the start of your service agreement. Those services price protected under your service agreement will be clearly identified on your next Cox bill statement.
    If any of the Cox services below are disconnected or cancelled for any reason within the 24 month service agreement term, you will be charged an early termination fee, which will be decreased each month you remain in your service agreement
    Called customer service and they said the price hike was because of the so called non-discounted retail rate had went up. When I signed up I asked numerous times if the rate was for 2 yrs and was told YES every time. I worked for GCI in Alaska for many years and a promotional rate meant that your rate did not go up for the time the promotion was in effect. COX is doing something illegal as far as I see it and will be contacting the FCC and the BBB.