Conn's Electronics / 8 sevices for the SAME PROBLEM and yet they won't refund of replace my TV

1 Pflugerville, TX, United States Review updated:

This is a copy of a letter I submitted to a local TV station here in Austin that helps consumers when they aren't being treated fairly by a retail store.

===========================================================================

8 sevices for the SAME PROBLEM and yet they won't refund of replace my TV.

I guess I should've known by their name, that I wasn't going to be taken care of...Conn's

I'm writing you today with hope that you can help me with a 65" DLP TV we purchased from Conn's electronics here in the Austin area. We have owned it for a little over a year and it has been serviced 8 times by Conn's service dept and each time it fails shortly thereafter, still they refuse to replace it or refund my money. They will only continue to service it. The past 2 repairs lasted less than a day.

All in all, it's been serviced 8 times and yet Conn's refuses to replace the TV. The only thing they have offerred to do is to keep repairing it. Repairing it again is not a viable option, at this point, because they've had 8 chances to fix the same problem and they have proven that they can't fix my TV. Most companies will replace a TV after it has had 3 or more services for the same failure. This TV has had the same failure the whole time we've owned it and it obviously cannot be repaired.

The first failure occurred about 10 days after the initial purchase. I went back to the store, knowing I could ask for a refund or replacement at that point, but I was convinced by the store manager to keep my TV and have it serviced. He told me, "yeah, we could replace it today, but you'd be back in here soon with the same problem with the new TV as well." He went on to say that it was a "known issue" with the manufacturer and that there was a new "improved" thermal fuse/sensor that would fix the problem and I wouldn't ever have the problem again. I took his advice and wow, do I ever regret it now. I was badly misled. I really liked the way they were selling these defective TV's to people and not warning them that they were going to have these problems. They should've sent them all back to the manufacturer and had the manufacturer send them new ones without this fundamental "KNOWN" flaw.

When you purchase a TV for your living room it's the main focal point for entertaining in the home. It's supposed to enhance your home, give you years of enjoyment, educate yourself and your kids, warn when bad weather is approaching, warn you about scams, watch family videos you've made, play your Wii with your kids and just be a relaxing thing to do after a hard days work, or to relax after mowing the yard, etc. It's just supposed to be an item to be enjoyed by all. This TV has been anything but that and now we have over $3200 invested in it and it just sits there broken, collecting dust. I have wasted 6 days of vacation on this TV, having to take off from work and wait for a repairman to come. My parents who are in their 70's have driven to our house, from Georgetown, the other 2 times and waited for the repairman's arrival.

The situation has become so frustrating and irritating to my family, that it has actually been the source of some arguments amongst us.

I notified Conn's corporate in Beaumont that I'm just going to stop paying on the TV and they will eventually come and collect it, but it will also ruin my credit. I'm hoping that I can invite 7 On Your Side into my home and run a story on this poor treatment of customers and how abysmal Conn's customer service can be. This is no way to treat a customer. The last 3 failures the TV put out a burning electrical smell that really screams "FIRE HAZZARD" to me, but when I mentioned this to Conn's, they blew it off and said there was no way it was going to catch on fire.

My sister and Brother-in-law have the same model TV and had this failure 1 time, had it repaired and haven't had the problem again. So I guess I'm just the lucky one that got "the Lemon."

We now have over $3200 invested in this TV and can't afford to buy another one. Please help our family with this problem if you can. I pray that you find this story worthy of your assistance.

My little girls would love to be able to play their Wii games and watch their Nickelodeon cartoons again on a TV that works. I told them I would do all I could to fix this for them. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in this endeavor so far and now turn to you for assistance. I look forward to hopefully speaking to you soon. Thanks so much for your time.

God Bless,

James

Ja

Comments

• Al
      22nd of Jul, 2008

I am having Conn's NO Service problems too.

• Do
      18th of Feb, 2009

Please add your comments to: http://getsatisfaction.com/conns

• Ka
      4th of Mar, 2009

I purchased a 32’ LG HDTV from Conn’s on 2/15. We went to pick the TV up from the store on 2/16 (they had to order it from the warehouse). On 2/22, exactly 6 days after having the television, it malfunctions. We called the store and were told to take it back to the store. Once there, the personnel determined that it needed to be sent to the service dept. and that they would not be able to come pick it up until 2/24. We asked for a refund or another TV and were told by Terrence Andrews, the assistant store manager, that we were not entitled to a refund since we had the TV more than 24 hours. When asked if they had something in writing stating this policy, we were told no – it was just store policy. On 2/23 I contacted Alan Sheppard, the manager of customer service, and explained the situation to me. He said that I was entitled to a refund, minus the 15% restocking fee. I said fine, I just wanted my money. He said to let the service dept try to fix the TV and we would take it from there. I explained that I paid for a new TV not a refurbished one, but he insisted that I let the service dept fix the TV. I tried to call Thomas Frank, the CEO, Timothy Frank, the COO, David Trahan, the EVP of retail, Walter Broussard, the SVP of Store OPS, and no one responded back to me. On 2/26, I was able to reach David Atnip, SVP, on his cell phone. He said that he would call Alan Sheppard, and get the situation resolved. Dameon McQuarters, the store manager, called me that day and told me that they were trying to expedite the receipt of the part that I needed. He said that the part would be in on 3/2 and I should be able to pick the TV up on 3/4/09. I called the service center and they told me that the TV basically needed a new “motherboard” and that these parts go out frequently and it was a normal occurrence to have issues. On 3/4/09 I called the service center again and was told that the part had not come in yet. I tried calling Dameon, but couldn't’t get through, so I called David Atnip again, and told him how ridiculous the situation is. I paid $591.05 of my hard earned money, put off a gathering that I had planned, and was given the run-a-round, over something belongs to me. I was robbed!! I have no money and no TV, and they positively refuse to give me my money. He said that he did not have the authority to tell the store to give me my refund. He called Dameon. I called Dameon. Dameon said he had to call Alan Sheppard for approval for either a refund or a new TV. Alan Sheppard was gone for the day. I will have to wait until tomorrow. We have had the TV for literally 6 days. We own it and they have had it longer than we have and I don’t have my money. NO ONE IS HELPING ME AT ALL! THEY HAVE STOLEN MY MONEY AND ARE HOLDING IT HOSTAGE. Per their return policy, I have 10 days to get a refund. I told them that I wanted one on day 6, when it malfunctioned, and as you can see -- they have refused to give it to me. I just want my hard earned money back.
    Signed Kamesha

3rd of Jun, 2016

We bought two TV's From Conn several years ago...Both had the same problem. Althou they did repair them. Then My husband purchased a small appliance and it broke. After that My husband won't buy from Conn's again. He thinks they purchase Seconds from Manufactures and then sell at a discount price. But the price doesn't matter if it breaks all the time.

• Ka

Dear Conn’s customer,
    We would like to apologize for the experience you have had with our company and would like ton help resolve your complaint for you. Please contact us at:
    1-877-358-1252 or via the web at http://support.conns.com
    Conn’s customer support

• Sy
      3rd of Jun, 2016

Conn's is very quick to take your money but after that the customer service is non-existant! We ordered a TV and twice they have told me it was going to be delivered. I had taken off a day from work each time and it was not delivered. Spent hours on the phone with them and they just don't care! Now we are borrowing a truck to go and pick up the TV ourselves in rush hour traffic because they delivery people will not come out again today. Conn's service SUCKS! and I will never buy anything from them again nor will I recommend them for anything! I am very surprised they are still in business! Hopefully that won't be true in the near future.
    Sharon Yeary

3rd of Jun, 2016
    Conn's Electronics - 8 Repairs on $3000 DLP....and Conn's won't replace or refund
    Conn's Electronics