Citizens Bank / unfair practice

n/an a, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: n/a
About a week ago I made a return to a P n C from a debt/credit card purchase the same day. I asked the individual if my account would go through right away. She said "most of the time it does". So I tried to make a purchase and it went through. Everything was fine until I went to the bank and asked how much money was in my account. That's when I felt my heart sank. The teller said it was in the negative, by a lot. I asked her to print up a copy of my account history. She said she could, but she ignored me as though she was deaf when I asked her if she was going to print up my history. Before they have always done this. I explained the situation and she promised that my account will be corrected as soon as the refund displayed into her computer. The next day I signed into the account on the internet to see if there were any corrections made by the bank. None were made, in fact the amount in the negative greatly increased. So I called the number on the back of my card and spoke to a lady from the bank and she said the account would be in positive and that the bank would have my money available as soon as the refund went through. The next I checked and it didn't go through and amount again increased. I was being charged for purchases made after the refund at the P n C. Since the money was never really deposited that moment back, and my account was being charged even without the money in my account, after being told chances were it would be. Anyways I called the number again on the back of my card. To make a long story short I went through about 14 different customer assistance employees, including supervisors all to find out that they would only to erase a portion of the money the internet was saying I owed back in. Not to mention I had to file a complain against one of the supervisors I spoke with. I told him what the lady said the previous date about 11 dollars being back into my account after the refund was shown to have gone through. (That was another thing that tried to upset me. The groceries were returned two days before the bank said it did according to their internet website.) Anyways the man I spoke to name was spoken harshly so I couldn't understand what he said. He sounded the way a shocked criminal sounds when an officer catches them in the act of committing something unlawful. I did speak with another supervisor who told me he could only return 117 into my account ( a different person than earlier) and he was an excellent listener and a pleasure to have a conversation with. I feel like a child would if he were given a lollipop at the bank and then on the way being told that would cost him/her more than they would pay for.
Ma

Comments

Md
  22nd of Jan, 2009
whenever you use your debit card the funds are held but not posted immediately. If you return a purchase the refund will not post immediately either. Usually it is at least 2-3 business days.

When you make subsequent purchases, the merchant will authorize the charge but it is not always the full amount. Many gas stations for instance will show up as a 1$ hold. It is your responsibility to balance your checkbook, not the banks. I suggest your read up on funds availabilty and electronic transaction processing and stick to paing by cash until you understand how to manage a bank account

Citizens Bank Logo Citizens Bank