Citizens Bank / checking account fees

US Review updated:

My husband used my account this month thinking our car insurance had already come out when it had not. So on 11/22 it came out (never comes out on the same day) and over drafted my account by around 40. On 11/23 my check was direct deposited. I called to see if I could have the fee removed and I was told no because I had a fee removal in March. I understand you are entitled to one a year. As you can see from my extensive history of banking with you I generally overdraft my account once a year with the occasional exception. I fail to understand after allowing you to manage my money for 30+ years you cannot make an exception for this situation. Last year I received a small check because your bank had been found guilty of charging illegal fees, yet I still stayed with this bank. There are banks out there that offer grace periods and exceptions so after all this time, if you can help me, I guess I will need to move my business elsewhere. I am very disappointed in the treatment I received today when I called. I have only stayed with this bank out of convenience, but I will go where I can be treated with respect and have an understanding that people make mistakes sometimes.

Sb
Nov 25, 2016

Comments

• Ga
      Nov 25, 2016

Yes, sometimes people make mistakes. That's why they give you one free overdraft a year.

• Po
      Nov 27, 2016

There are many banks that don't allow reversals at all, regardless of history. You were allowed a free overdraft reversal as you are utilizing a specific bank. You have no right to request anything else and this is your error, and your error, alone.