CheapoAir.com / charge for seat assignment & lousy customer service

I made reservations (first experience) on CheapOair for travel for two without making a seat assignment. I followed a link in the email confirmation the next day to request one, and was presented with the option of paying $11.95 for an "enhanced" service which included a small graphic of the aircraft outline with seats color coded as to availability (like I've seen for FREE on other websites), or continue with the "standard" selection. I chose the latter, and another pop-up asked if I was SURE I did not want the enhanced version. Again - no. I was then presented with the option of REQUESTING either an aisle or window seat and promised a response within 48hrs. I called their customer service number and after 33 minutes on hold was connected with a somewhat frazzled rep who took care of the assignments for me. I don't know if this is a new industry trend or unique to CheapOair, but I won't be back unless I can be assured I can make a seat assignment without paying extra for privilege.

Comments

• Sf
      9th of May, 2011

I just spent over an hour on the phone with CHEAPOAIR. First AND last time I will ever use them. Was told that I have to wait until the day of flight to be assigned seat and OR pay a $39 seat fee to have a seat assigned on United Airlines, as well as $6 for each flight on Air Tran... This is after being placed on hold for over 30 Minutes.. I sent in 2 seat requests too CHEAPOAIR and never received a response, placed a call (40 minutes on hold to be disconnected) and then today - finally spoke to a human being who could not assist me.

These are unacceptable business practices as CHEAPOAIR DOES not tell their customers this UP FRONT when purchasing their ticket. I will never use this company again - and will tell everyone I know abou this experience.
    CHEAPOAIR advertises lower prices for tickets, BUT you will end up paying more than Expedia and other competitors...
    Lesson Learned.

• In
      10th of May, 2011

Dear Customer, the airlines determine the cost for seat assignements and many have charged for over a year now. Sounds to me like you wanted a premium, seat with united, that is why the big cost. I know Airtran charges for their seats I fly them all the time for family vacations, unless you wait until the day of departure they will provide one for free. You mentioned Expedia, perhaps the airline you booked with them was not one of the carriers that charged for seats, some are still customer oriented. I've checked other websites and they all mention seats are on request. I will be glad to assist you with finding a seat on United, unless you want to pay for the airtran seating you will need to wait, and also, you go onto the airlines website in both cases and pre pay for the seat. This money doesn't go to CheapOair, but the airlines. I am very sorry for your inconvenience, and I have left my email address on the other websites for you to contact me directly.

12th of Jul, 2017

Just had Cheapoair charge my credit card for seat assignments, not making it clear that I was being charged, and then I couldn't change it. I called customer service, I was put on hold for 5 minutes, and I have no idea what the guy put me on hold for because he still had no idea what I was talking about. This is really fraudulent, I would never buy from them again.