[Resolved] Cheapoair / undisclosed cancellation fee within 24 hours of booking

New York, NY, United States Review updated:

On 6/12/17, I tried to book a flight from SeaTac to Lisbon, Portugal. I found a very cheap "super saver" fare on CheapO, which gave the approximate departure and arrival times, but no other information. It did not give the airline name, or the layover cities or times. I did not save the original page, but I can do the same search again, with similar results, and I see that it says rather prominently at the top of the page "24 hour cancellation". Seeing this, and having always experienced that a 24 hour cancellation was free, I decided to take a chance and book the flight. Once I did, and saw the flight layover times, I became concerned that one of the layovers might be too short to assure getting through customs if the flight arrived late, while another was a nearly 9 hour layover, and I could not choose my seats. I decided to cancel. I called to cancel and was only then told that there was a $75 charge to cancel. Worse, I had to pay the cancellation charge immediately, while the refund of my fare would take anywhere from a few days to weeks. When I asked where I should have seen this cancellation policy, the operator directed me to a link to the company's legal policies buried on the home page.

I feel this was entirely deceptive, and I would like a refund of the cancellation fee.

My e-ticket number for this flight was [protected]/95
CheapOair Booking: [protected]

• Resolution statement

• CheapOair Customer Care's Response, Jun 13, 2017

Dear Sir, as mentioned you thought the cancellation was free. We do disclose that you can cancel within 24 hours and in most cases the ticket is refundable, however, exactly where you saw the 24 hour cancellation, it states with a "fee". Also, on the payment page right above the submit button, it also states you have 24 hours in which to cancel for a fee. Our apologies if you over looked the information and has caused an inconvenience.

Re
Jun 12, 2017

Comments

• Le
      Feb 21, 2018

This company is a crook. Their agents try to steal our money as much as they can. I try to change the flight time within 24 hours of purchased. They quoted me more than $300 pp to change the time. He said that the fee was from the airline not from them. He just try to help me. I asked about cancellation, the agent told me that I have to pay $ 350 pp. He told me it's a new policy. $75 cancellation fee is for less than 4 hours. I told him I don't want to do it. He cut the exchanged fee to $150 pp. I hangup and called the airline directly, the airline said that they do not charge anything to cancel within 24 hours. The airline was unable to cancel because i bought it with the third party. In the meantime, the same agent from Cheapoair keep on calling me to negotiate the exchange the ticket. He called me maybe more than 20 times in few hours. It's obvious that it's a big profit for them to change the tickets within 24 hr. Later on, I also found out that the agent was lie about the cancellation fee too. The best thing is to avoid dealing with this company. They are not honest.

• Di
      Apr 19, 2018

Almost exactly the same thing happened to me today. I booked the super saver flight. If you mouse over the super saver it tells you that within 4 hours you get a FULL refund. No questions asked. When I tried to cancel 20 minutes later they tried to charge me 75 dollars per flight (215 total). When I pointed out the refund disclaimer they said, yes we will give you a full refund for the flight but the booking fee is different and we will not refund that, that is our 24 hour policy, which you should have read by the way (it doesn't say anything about that at the 4 hour disclaimer). So their 24 hour "policy" trumps their 4 hour disclaimer for a special case (the super saver), where essentially you don't know what you are getting until after payment. I did get a full refund. It wasn't pretty. I had to go through 3 guys from customer support (hung up on number 2, there should be some nice transcripts of that one) until I ended up with a supervisor who finally gave me my refund. I was an hour on the phone with them and I'm pretty sure they are instructed to behave like that...