Chase Card Services / scam charges

I had a Chase Credit Card since 1994 (15 years!) always paid on time and most of the time paid off my balance monthly.
In July of 2008, I paid my balance in full and closed my account (had another card and felt I didn't need 2).

Today! March 2009! I get a call from them saying I had a "residual finance" balance with LATE charges added in, totaling $322, and if I did not pay in 2 days they were submitting me to a collection agency!!

They said since I had signed up for "paperless" statements, they had emailed me - but never sent a letter or notice or anything to my home, even though they had my current address.
After speaking with a manager and trying to get the charges waived based on my 15 years of good history with them - they refused to do it and still threatened to send me to collections.
I reluctantly paid. Then the best part... they said I would be getting ANOTHER BILL for 20 days of March not included in the $322!!

I can not believe that institutions get away with this. They are clearly finding loopholes in order to trick people into charges.

Chase Bank / JPMorgan Chase Bank Logo Chase Bank / JPMorgan Chase Bank