Chase Bank

Posted:

closing all washington mutual customers credit cards

4.6
Monroe, Georgia
Phone: 770-266-6408
Chase is now dropping all washington mutual credit card holders accounts and forcing them to re-apply. Leaving hundreds of thousands with closed account s and causing damage to personal credit scores on consumers credit reports!!!1
I was a long time account holder and never missed a payment, and my credit was damaged because of chase bank
Complaint comments Comments (110)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Credit Cards

Comments

A  16th of Jul, 2009 by     Best Advice +4 Votes
We are doing a documentary about Wamu/Chase and it's customers who have damaged credit, or have had their funds held so they can charge fees on your account, or any other complaints.
If anyone is interested please contact me at minmoore33@gmail.com
thanks so much
N  20th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I was mortified today at my Veterinarians office when my Wamu (chase) CC was declined. I had just checked the avail. credit when setting up my next payment. I have always been ontime and pay more than the min. I had to make other payment and when I got home called to see whats up, I was told the account was closed and I could not use the card anymore. I asked why I wasn't notified by email, or on my account page since this is how all my statements are handled. I was informed that this was effective July 14th and a letter has been sent. WHat a bunch of jerks.
A  23rd of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I just received 2 notices today by mail that my 2 accounts that used to be WAMU are now closed because 1)Total available credit is too low and 2) Too many active bankcard accounts. One account I paid off (2 weeks ago) and the other I only owe $500. I have a Chase CC from years ago that they did not close but they raised my interest to 22% here in July. What is going on? This is going to affect my credit big time and don't feel that it is fair that they can just close accounts because of the debt that they took on by buying out WAMU. I am ALWAYS on time with paying each month. Also with this "Too many active bankcard accounts", I feel that also is NOT my fault. I did not have a choice when Chase took on WAMU. So instead of having 1 CC with Chase, I have 3 because of the merger. Is there anything that we can do that this does not affect our credit that we all have worked hard for??
A  24th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Two days ago I too had my WaMu card declined unexpectedly and was absolutely humiliated. The clerk was trying to whisper (which I couldn't hear) as if not to embarrass me. NEVER have I had a credit or check card declined. NEVER have I bounced a check. Luckily I am not credit dependent and was able to use my bank card. I have been a Providian/WaMu/Chase cardholder for years and always pay more than the minimum due. A year ago I paid off the $3000 balance in full and continued to use the card periodically to keep it active. When I called I received the same response as mentioned by others - "...something appeared on your credit report and the account was closed on 7/14. You should be receiving a notice in the mail." This was on 7/21! Shouldn't I have been notified before I humiliated myself? Regardless, I finally received notice by mail on 7/24, although the website still lists the account as open with an available balance. Here's the kicker - my husband received his notice the same day, only with a different list of reasons for closure! I find it very suspicious that every WaMu card was cancelled on 7/14, but my Chase Rewards Amazon card which has an exceptionally high limit and a fairly low APR was left untouched. They even sent me a letter for that one stating they were extending my payment date 5 extra days into the month! Something is VERY fishy here...
A  24th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
GO to consumeraffairs.com and put your complaint in online. The same thing happened to me and what is beginning to look like thousands of others...if you "google" chase closed my credit card account, it will lead you right to the consumer Affairs complaint page. Hopefully we'll get a class action suite SOON!

This seems HUGELY illegal.

And reading up on Chase, apparently they recieved $25 billion dollars from Bush in February of 2007, and their CEO, Jamie Dimon, proudly told reporters that he would not be using that money to make loans, but to acquire struggling banks.

this company is being run by a criminal!
A  24th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Chase got the bail out assistance and apparently with it got way too much power. They seemingly don't need or care to have customers who are financially responsible. Yes...by cancelling our accounts the way they did is most certainly going to have an adverse affect on out credit. They don't care...they got their capital thanks to both the federal government and the taxpayers. The power they yield now can't be challenged...they'll just turn to Washington again for protection or for any assistance they may need. The little guys, we, the people, the peasants, are unimportant and will continue to be for as long as they have an infusion of money...especially TARP money. But being responsible in paying our bills on time and managing our accounts by paying more than the minimum due and by not going over the limits gave us one thing...bad credit. Our credit scores suffer when a creditor closes an account. When it comes to money it's always about power and greed...Chase is now history to me, I can live without them. Live and learn as they say. Want to bet that someday Chase (or an affiliate) may come knocking at our doors with offers that may seem too good to be true? When this recession is over just wait and see. I won't be doing business with them...ever again.
A  25th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I, too, had my Washington Mutual credit card closed on 7/14/09 - without notice. Two days ago, I received a notice in the mail that the card was closed for the following reasons: total available credit on bankcards is too low, on or more accounts have high balances compared to credit limits, average length of time since bankcard opening is too short.

I immediately contacted Chase to get to the bottom of this. As I explained to their rep, I've never been late on payments, rarely used the card, always paid more than the minimum, and was nowhere near the credit limit. In fact, over the last six months, I've reduced the balance significantly - it only has a $500 balance. The rep wasn't able to provide an explaination beyon the crap written on their notice. This was the latest indignation I suffered at the hands of this bank. When Chase took over WaMu, my card was converted to a Chase card and the interest rate was increased, my credit line was reduced by $400 and my monthly minimum payments increased. I agree with the postings above that something truly is wrong. In addition to filing a complaint, I'm also going to consult a lawyer to determine if Chase's conduct is actionable. And, yes, come Monday morning, I will pull my money out of that bank. I urge you all to do the same.
A  27th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I have looked on many sites and the complaints are all the same - what happened to me exactly. My $12, 000 BofA card limit cut in half for no good reason. The card then shows 98% of the "new" reduced limit. This dings your credit and sends notes to other banks (Chase which I loathe, they bought WAMU) - they closed a card without notifying me - 48% of limit, never late - always paid twice minimum due. Your credit rating cascades to the gutter through NO FAULT OF YOUR OWN. People who are struggling and STILL paying off their balances are now "deliquent" because it has been forced on them - not because we are duds.

I am having a hard time finding any class action to join - and that is what we need to do. We can withdraw our money - and put it Where ?????

If you have knowledge of any pending class action suits PLEASE POST
N  27th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!! ANY ATTORNEY INTERSESTED IN PURSUING IT COULD MAKE MILLIONS...IF ATTORNEY READS THIS CONTACT ME AT danny_mcclain@hotmail.com
Same story here.
I guess these Blogs are our form of support groups.

"My name is Tim and I am a Chase/WaMuClosure1 victum"

My story is no different than the rest.
Two long-standing-perfect-payment-never-once-late exWaMu cards cancelled for bogus Experian reasons.
(I would have paid them off and closed them myself, if they just would have just asked.)

While I was gathering up all of the information I needed today to close ALL of my Chase accounts, (2 Checking, 3 savings, 2 IRAs and 2 Chase Freedom),
I noticed that the Freedom account I gave to one of my daughters to use for College expenses had been cut to the balance.

I called up Chase and they said 'Based on Experian"...yada-yada-yada.

Then one of my daughters called and said the other card I gave her to use only for an emergency was declined.
That other card was one of the ex-Providian cards that I've had for over 7 years that Chase just closed for no reason.
Now she has no cards she can use to survive an emergency and I have to scramble to add her name to a card somewhere else.

So...

I went to Experian and pulled my Credit Report along with their version of a FICO Score to see what Chase was seeing.
My PLUS Score is 785 out of a possible 830, and according to them, in the top 87% of all clients.
The report says 'There are No Negative Items Reported' and the all of my accounts are in 'Good Standing'.

Someone said there 's nothing they can do to 'Fight City Hall'.

I disagree.

I hope everyone that got the WaMuClosure1 letter does the things mentioned earlier to combat this treatment:

#1 Post you story here, no matter if it is the same story as everyone else.
There is power in numbers.

#2 File a complaint with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (They have an on-line complaint form)

#3 Print your complaints and send copies to your local State Attorney General (some states, like California, have an on-line complaint form for this too)

#4 Go to Experian and get your free Credit Report.
In most states anytime a company closes or changes an account based on a Credit Reporting Agency, you are entitled to a FREE copy of the report.
It's not easy to find the link to the free report. (you can't use the 'normal' get my report button)
From the main page, go to "DISPUTES" at the bottom.
From there, scroll down to "DENIED CREDIT?" button.
Read that page, it talks about getting a free report if you were denied credit.
Be careful and make sure it is free in your state.
If it asks for a Credit Card, it's not free.

#5 Consider moving any other accounts you have with Chase elsewhere.
They bought up Washington Mutual for the customers.
Don let them do this to you.

#6 Talk/Email/Chat/Blog...whatever form of communication you use to everyone you know about what Chase Bank has done to you.
Talk to your neighbors, classmates, relatives, co-workers, people you meet at a party, post on your MySpace, on your FaceBook...any chance you get and tell them about Chase Bank.

Maybe you will save someone else before the "WaMuClosure2" attacks starts.
I only wish someone told me ahead of time of what Chase is doing so I could have prepared for the assault.

To find more, google WaMuClosure1 and read the 100's of complaints being posted about this.
A  27th of Jul, 2009 by    +2 Votes
Darn, forgot to ad my tagline.

What Chase is doing is "FICO Terrorism"
A  27th of Jul, 2009 by    +2 Votes
I had a WAMU card in good standing as well that was recently closed by Chase. Earlier this year they raised the rate to 26%. Now they close it w/o notice ;what a lame way of doing business. Close the account then send a letter snail mail to let people know what they have done.
I'm not really surprised that they might be trying to sure up their business/ books in these tough economic times but some advance warning of an imminent closure of my account would have been nice. I have had the account for over three years - this is really a crap way to treat your customers. Im sure that the way they went about it will negativly effect my FICO score - which I personally believe is a bank scam in itself (Experian owned by the banks?)
WHY AM I SEEING NO ARTICLES ON THIS IN THE MEDIA??? ARE THEY CLOSING ALL WAMU ACCOUNTS? SEEMS THERE ARE THOUSANDS ? BUT WHO KNOWS MAYBE TENS OR HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF ACCOUNTS?
Anyways, Ill add them to the list of banks that I won't do business with ever again. Bank of Anti-America and Capital 1 already on that list.
Some are shifting to credit unions I see but I'm personally making it my goal not to do business with any US Banks. (Especially ones that recieved any TARP WELFARE MONIES.)
A  28th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Although I agree that what Chase is doing is totally wrong, I serously doubt most people that get their cards cancelled are going to do anything about it. Chase is not so stupid as to not think this out before they launched their attack. They just posted a big quaretly profit that exceeded wall street expectations. Im sure they already calculated how many of the old washington mutual customers are going to close their accounts because of this. In fact this may very well be the reason they are doing this. They dont want all of these old washington mutual banks to stay open. I doubt they are making any money off of themvright now.

I dont think Chase could possibly care any less about these peoples fico scores. If fact, Chase will probably make even more money off of most these same people because now that they have lower fico scores Chase can charge them higher interest when they come back for more.

Im also sure Chase knows everyone is going to forget all about this in a few weeks and later, when Chase starts sending out pre-approved letters again, most of these same people are going to jump right back on the Chase money machine wagon.

The reason I think you dont hear about this on CNN or other main-stream media is because most of the people affected are not doing anything about it. It would be interisting to know the number of people that actually file a complaint with the office of comptroller of currency. Not too many I suppose.

Its too bad the people our our country are not more pro active.
I wish this was not the case.

btw: I too had my old washington card cancelled and I did file a complaint this the occ.

My 2 cents. Flame on.
N  28th of Jul, 2009 by    +2 Votes
The proof is in the pudding, or in this case soon to be in the ceo of Chase bank pockets.

Anyone care to comment on whether this 2.7billion dollar profit hads anything at all to do with Chase bank interest rate hikes and doubling the payments on their credit cards?

Chase will never see another penny from me, but then again with 2.7billion in profits, they dont care.
Us ex-wamu customers dont mean a thing to them.

PS:
FICO Terrorism. I like that one.
Has a nice 'rings true' sound to it.
If cnn makes a headline that reads
"Chase bank launches FICO Terrorist attacks on its own ex-Washington Mutual customers."
I’ll buy the tee-shirt
A  29th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I have been a Chase customer for over 5 years and I was a Wamu customer for 2 and I received the letter that my account has been closed "wamuclosure1". This is an outrage because this will negatively reflect my credit score. They just closed $7, 000 worth of credit.
N  30th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I went to the store the other day to put a minimal purchase ($20) on my Chase card and was told by the cashier that the card was denied. So, I tried it again and she said it was denied. I figured maybe the card didn't get activated when I received my new card (I was recently married and needed a new card in my new name). So, I used another method of payment and left the store. I immediately called the number on the back of the card and was told that my card had been canceled based on a recent credit check (like everyone else is stating). I am also a former Providian/WaMu customer and feel like I've been thrown under the bus. I'm 25 years old and this was my oldest credit card (5+ years) with the greatest limit (I believe $8000). Yes, it was close to the limit (within a few hundred dollars) but I've NEVER missed a payment with them and often paid much more than the minimum payment. It's also very disappointing that my new husband and I will be taking one of our salaries for the next year and paying off all of our debt. We also have plans to buy a new car and would like to purchase a house in the next few years...the cancellation of this card takes out 1/2 of my credit!
A  30th of Jul, 2009 by    +2 Votes
cawsings, welcome to the wamuclosure1 club. Sorry to see you are joining because that means chase got you too :(

I hope you (and anyone else reading this) take the time to read the post above from Tim_C and register your complaints.
I am beginning to think there may actually be some action on this from what Im reading in some of the bank discussion IRCs.
Nothing official but there are some signs of hope.

The link for #2 is: www(DOT)helpwithmybank(DOT)gov

Now that you posted here, you should also post over at consumeraffairs(DOT)com

There are over 400 posts about what happend to you and several high-power people are 'supposedly' watching that site thinking about Class Action.
That may or may not be true, but it couldnt hurt. To find the right place to post scroll down to where it says 'Most-Viewed Pages' on the right side and select Chase Credit Cards. It should be the very top one as this is the biggest story to hit them in quite a while.

Another day and still nothing on cnn, fox news, msnbc or any news channels about this.
N  30th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
They cancelled my account also, customer for 7 years. paid my card off constantly and on time. This is really frustrating, not to mention embarrasing to be declined when trying to use this card! They told me the same thing about it being my credit, when last I checked with experian it was 739. Which it may not be now, with a closed credit card on my history. They said they mailed out letters, but still to this day, I havent received one. It is just sad to me, what our world is coming to
N  30th of Jul, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I have a question, can someone like chase even pull a credit report without knowledge or permission of the person? That doesnt sound right to me?
A  30th of Jul, 2009 by    +2 Votes
Yes, they can.
Its called a soft pull.

You can read about this at www(DOT)moneybluebook(DOT)com/difference-between-soft-credit-pull-and-hard-credit-pull/
And look at #5

Or Goolge 'Soft Credit Card Pulls'

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree