Chase Bank / unauthorized charges

United States Review updated:
How chase bank and columbia house stole christmas

On august 8, 2008 I purchased some dvds from columbia house, the order came to $35.84. The order was shipped missing an item after many emails and phone calls to them I finally got my remaining item but they charged me an additional three times for that one item. After another round of calls and emails I finally chalked it up to a bad experience that I would learn a lesson from.

On october 11.2008 I logged into my checking account to find that I had two pending charges of $99.76 from columbia house! I immediately called chase bank 800 where I spoke to a wonderful supervisor pat, whom advised that as they were still pending she had been able to reverse them. As a caution she advised that they could submit again as long as they had my card number and provided me the number to the chase claims department.

Immediately I began trying to contact columbia house via their email process on their website - to this day they have never responded to the dozens of emails that I have sent regarding this issue. Calls are answered by someone not qualified to handle the matter, so a supervisor will need to return your call and that never happens either.

I tried to remove my card information from their site, which the site does not allow you to do! You also can not remove the check mark in the box allowing them to use that information for any future shipments and charges! In frustration I changed the billing information on the card to big bird, 123 sesame street, new york ny 10001

On october 14, 2008 they again debited my checking account for $99.76 which resulted in chase bank charging me $75.00 and $32.00 for insufficient funds fees.

I contacted chase bank filed a claim and closed that debit card (As they would not file the claim other wise). I provided them with screen shots showing no purchases, no shipments, no pending orders since the august fiasco and was advised by angel that chase bank would be crediting back the charge and any related insufficient funds fees.

Initially they did credit back the $99.76 and the $75.00 for insufficient funds. Chase refused to credit the $32.00 as donnell advised me because a previous request had been made (The $75.00) within a 12-month period.

On november 20, 2008 chase bank reversed themselves and took the $99.76 and the $75.00 from my checking account again. I contacted chase claims department on 11.21.2008 and was advised by judy that she would re-open the claim and I would receive that information shortly. Several hours later there was still no information received. Again I contacted chase claims where upon andre advised me that I would need to speak with a supervisor whom was currently on another call and would need to call me back.

To date there has been no communication from judy or andre’s supervisor, maybe chase has columbia house train the employees in their claims department!

Thanks to grinches at columbia house and chase bank there will be no christmas in our household this year. The theft of over $200.00 from my account by these two supposedly reputable companies has ended any possibility of a celebration of any kind in my household

Be warned and take your business anywhere else
Cr

Comments

De
  7th of Dec, 2008
I am having the SAME problem except with Best Buy. I purchase an xbox for a gift. Everything was fine, they took out the correct amount, and a week later, I had called because two items that were supposed to be free with this xbox bundle had been backordered. They told me that they were not "free" and I would be charged for them once they had been shipped so I told them to cancel the items. For some odd and suspicious reason... they took out every bit of my checking. Everything is gone! Immediately I hung up on BestBuy when trying to confront them about this and called Chase to report my card number as stolen. If this was a mistake or on purpose, I am not quite sure, but someone at bestbuy took my money. Hopefully Chase can recover this on Monday since I reported the card number as stolen. The guy told me that these are connected in some way but regardless since I am reporting it stolen, I have to fill out some paperwork and send it back to Chase. Since it is pending on my account, I have to wait until Monday, the guy said basically after he reported card as stolen, I would have to wait. He said it will post to my account which then they can take it off. He said something along the lines of... it might not even post to my account. Im not sure and I know that first thing in the morning I am checking my Chase online and heading over to bank to speak to them first hand and tell them what happened. Best Buy was very unhelpful during the process, saying this was not even on my account, and they would have to take it to their claims dept. After then it would take 7-8 days to even get my money back.. IF they could. I had almost 600 dollars in the account and Best Buy took it all. Hopefully Chase can recover this and since I reported it stolen. We are hoping they should. I agree with it stealing Christmas though because until this is settled I feel like a complete mess.
Mj
  9th of Feb, 2009
The exact same thing happened to me with the New York Times in December, months after I closed my account with them (and I even had a statement showing a zero balance). It was a huge hassle; I was never able to speak to the same person at NYT twice nor was I ever able to get a last name of anyone. To this day, the NYT has no idea what the charges were for. I had to get a new card, and am now tempted to get a brand bank account because it happened yet again and they still don't know the cause of these charges. So, beware and only pay cash when purchasing the NYT (if you want to give them your business at all!).
Ch
  17th of Mar, 2009
I think columbia house should be turn over to the bbb . I think its wrong to go in someone bank count and get money. How would they like for someone get into there acccounts. I 've been having problems with columbia house club too. I done it twice should learned the first time. They don't listen to you. There right your wrong. Everyone should contact the bbb thats had trouble with columbia house club. If everyone took a stand maybe they go out of business. Show then they can't just step on people. It a shame this companies do this to people. One person can't do it alone. I'm not scared of columbia house dvd club. I' m just mad. I read all the complaints they have against them. Thats alot. Thanks

Chase Bank / JPMorgan Chase Bank Logo Chase Bank / JPMorgan Chase Bank