Certegy Check Services / certegy is ruining my credit!

I had more than enough money to cover the checks I wrote. I wrote one at K-mart which was declined in the middle of the night. So I couldn't contact my bank, so I contacted the company that printed on the back of my check. Certegy, who told me that it was because my check was inappropriate in appearance. They then went on to tell me that if I wish for this to never happen again and to improve my credit history that I was to take their "Free offer" which was going to improve my credit history. That sounded like a scam, period. So I declined their offer and hung up. The next day I reported it to my bank, and my bank also said it sounded like a scam and said to watch my bank account to make sure no money was taken out of it.

So I took 70 dollars out of my checking account to go back to k-mart and buy what I was going to buy.

Later that week I went to Herbergers to buy something and it came to 105 dollars. I was also denied, at this point in time Herbergers was embarrassed about the incident because it shouldn't have happened so they tried to figure out what happened. And Certegy said that it was a code 2 decline and said nothing more to them.

So I went back to my bank, which because I reported the same thing again... I got the manager of the bank to look over my checks, my account, my account history, and everything. They said there was no reason for any of my checks to be declined, I've wrote out hundreds of checks, never once had a returned check, never once ran low on cash, and there was nothing wrong with my current checks.

Then I called Certegy again, this time I wasn't as friendly with the representative, I wasn't exactly a enraged raving lunatic... but... I wasn't taking the whole "I'm sorry for your inconvenience, but we're not going to change anything." So I asked him to tell me the truth and stop giving me the run around in a way.

They then told me that it was because I normally write out checks for 20-50 dollars and for me to write out a 70 dollar check was too high of a check to be accepted. That's when I said I've wrote out checks for 900, 700, 600, and my rent alone is 400 a month I pay in check. So what's the difference now? He had no answer, then he went on to say, well you've already had two checks against your credit so we will not accept any checks from you for awhile. That's when I went off the deep end, I'm only 19 years old, I've been trying my hardest to get credit, now this company is ruining it by declining my checks. So, I pretty much stated I'm going to have to report this incident with the BBB, and with the attorney general with my state. They pretty much stated, that there is no attorney that is going to try and fight a multimillion dollar company. And that they can refuse any check they want because it's just a piece of paper and not really legal tender(sp).

Then I asked my local District Attorney about this, and they said to report it to the sheriffs department.

Comments

Da
  31st of Dec, 2007

I was declined a purchase at Walmart using a expense check written by a multi-billion dollar corporation. The check amount was $29.72. Certegy declined the transaction and could not give me a reason.

I left Walmart and went to the nearist ATM, got the funds I needed and proceeded to Target. I will write a complaint letter to Walmart letting them know I will be shopping at Target in the future. The reason being they use Certegy for check transaction verification. Please let your stores know we hate Certegy and their poor business practices!

Ma
  2nd of Feb, 2008

Certegy is a NIGHTMARE...Having an excellent credit standing, they declined my checks twice in ROSS and Mervyns. When I called frustrated, they could give no particular reason for decline. Amazing, how these companies can still be out there and mess with our credits and personal information. They mailed out this Certegy Gold Application form, but I did not trust sending them my financial information. Who can trus them after all?

Mi
  22nd of Feb, 2008

What can we do? I've always wrote checks where I go we need to get the companys to quit using them.

Ka
  7th of Sep, 2015

Fantastic post, I am thankful for the info - Does anyone know where my assistant can grab a sample 2014 CA FTB 540 example to edit ?