Century Link / over charging / not keeping with quote

1 WI, United States Review updated:
Phone: 651-331-8553

In January of this year I received a postcard from Centrylink offering a bundled package of phone, tv and internet. I have been a customer of Centrytel now Centrylink for about 6 years and was looking at a way to lower my monthly expenses and this looked like a option.

I made a phone call to your customer service department and talked about the different options. When talking about it I asked what the total cost would be including taxes and any fees since I wanted to make sure I was making a informed decision. The female representative quoted me $104.00 a month. I asked her again does this include everything she said “yes”. She went through setting up a time for the installers to come out to my house and install the dish for the tv. I again asked her at the end of the conversation about the bill being $104.00 a month and she said yes to this again.

At the end of January we got the first bill it was $306.00! I called customer service and they said that the bill included installation, which I was not told about, and other set up. I told them at that time I was quoted several times that it would be $104.00 a month he said that should be your regular bill but we were caught in a billing cycle and so it had our old charges just for the phone plus the new charges plus installation. I told him that I was not aware of any installation charges it was never explained to me. He then said we could work out a payment plan in which I could pay $140 a month till the bill was caught up. I was not happy with this but agreed to it since it seemed like Centrylink was willing to work with me on it. I made a payment at that time around $120 and another payment of $150 on February 28, 2010 which, was more than the $140 which was agreed upon.

On March 3, 2010 I came home to discover my TV is not working. I called Centrylink and was told I had to pay $228 to bring my bill current, and that the charges for this month are $148. I said that this does not make any sense. I had set up a plan with your company to pay $140 a month in which would be my regular payment of $104 a month. She said there is no plan set up and the past due amount would have to be paid in full. Her name was Debra (she was not very friendly) and I asked is there anyone else I can talk to she then transferred me to customer service. I explained to them the situation above and told her that I was quoted $104 a month, which was to include everything. She said that the customer service people are not suppose to do that and I told her that not only did the representative from your company do it she did it several times. She then proceeded to tell me “yes she may have but to let you know she is no longer working for us”. I then said well I would like for us to resolve this and she told me we can get your bill down to $104 a month by dropping some services. I told her that it isn’t fair to me the customer that someone representing your company quoted me a price that your not willing to stand by and then tell me that I have to pay it or drop my services. She didn’t say anything and I thought the line went dead or the call dropped so I asked her how she would feel if this happen to her and all she said is “is there anything else I can do for you today” at that point I understood that she and Centrylink were not going to honor what I was told and not only that but was unwilling to work with me.

Mi

Comments

• Ce
      12th of Mar, 2010

mike_N,

Sorry to read about your trouble with CenturyLink. I'll be glad to help. I've helped several others here on Complaintsboard.com. Can you email me your account information so that we can investigate the issue? My email is Joey@CenturyLink.com.

CenturyLink's Customer Outreach has been helping customers online for over two years. Just let us know what we can do to help.

Thanks,

22nd of Apr, 2010

Century link has a standard policy called Core Value"s Lie to Customer, Steal trier money through fraud, and refuse to refund proceeds of this fraud and return service to previous condition!

I too sought to save 20.00 a month and consolidate 2 lines billing and and have now spent an additional 1, 300 dollars over last 9 months and hundreds of hours calling, writing, and complaining to anyone who will listen, the Government seems to be ineffective at regulating this company, so my next step is the court's .

My people tell me the management of this company open every meeting with a prayer, and I believe a higher Judge will find they are using the Lords name in Vain ! I hate having to do business with Hippocrates but I have no choice other than to go out of business which may happen ! thanks Century Link 50 years of service at this # and it just went away.

17th of May, 2010

I converted my package which had contained DIsh Network to the new Centurylink cable with a promise of the same channels that I had which I dont have (lost Starz). They promised less interuptions which was a lie the system freezes and I have to reboot it. When it freezes it can be as little as a few seconds to a couple minutes so you lose track of the program you are watching. We have a friend that works for Centurytel and he mentioned they had issues with the new system so I questioned the salesman about problems with the system, he assured me all issues had been worked out. He lied because the issues are not worked out. I hate this system and cant wait to switch back to dish.,

18th of May, 2010

Sarq627,

I'm also sorry to read about your trouble with CenturyLink. I'll be glad to look into the issue you're having with your IPTV service. I've helped several others here on Complaintsboard.com. Can you email me your account information? My email is Joey@CenturyLink.com.

Thanks,

• Wi
      21st of May, 2010

I have had nothing but a headache by going to Centurylink, they Lie with a straight face.They cut off our phone service because we did not want their voicemail service.We will not pay for something we do not need.I am sure they will one day soon meet their day with a class action suit from hard working citizens of this great country.I am currently filing a complaint with the Missouri Public Service Commission for this nightmare. Joey, , , , , , , , I will not trust you any more

24th of May, 2010

Wiley,

Sorry to read about the trouble you've had also. I'll be more than happy to look into your issue also. Can you email me your account information? My email is Joey@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

Joey H

• Be
      29th of Nov, 2010

This is so true. I have submitted my claim on 4 different occassions, and I still have not been given a statement of benefits. I called and spoke to a representative who told me they received the claim, only to call back 30 days later to check on the status at which point I was told that they did not receive the claim after all. This has happened twice, and then they keep calling me back to tell me they require additional documents. Now that I have provided everything, they keep denying that they received the claim, even though I have numerous email and fax confirmations to the contrary. This company is a scam artist - do NOT make the mistake of paying any premiums or doing business with them. You will not receive your benefits.

29th of Nov, 2010

Wiley : You might as well go yank your joey, at least you will get some satisfaction ! filing complaints with PUC, KSOS, FTC and other Government agencies useless when dealing with these corrupt hipocrites !

bebe83,

Sorry that you are having trouble as well. Our customer outreach team will be glad to help you out. Just email us at Reachout@CenturyLink.com with your name, account information and any additional details that you can provide. Thanks.

Joey H
    Joey@CenturyLink.com

• Uk
      21st of Feb, 2011

I also feel the same way. I switched from another company because centurylink was offering a better deal that had the internet and phone with long distance for a better deal that the company I had been with for 10 yrs. I soon discovered that I had to pay intall fees and also a fee to have the router delivered and none of that was told to me when I switched. Also it turns out that even though the post card offered free long distance I was told that it would be extra. I tried to explain that info but to no avail. Also now in the State of MN our internet has been down since Friday I believe the 19th and do you think that they emailed or called us. NOPE. I actually deleted my hard drive thinking that it was something with my computer. Now I am really angry. I have a student in college and she relies on the internet to do homework so this weekend has been a nightmare. I feel like an idiot for switching from a company that was yes higher priced but worked great. I want to get out of what ever contract I have with century link but unsure of how to do it. Ohh and by the way when I first switched I didnt get to use the internet for almost a month and thats when i wanted to switch back to my previous comapany but I was told I had the contract with Centurylink. I never wanted a contract. What to Do??? timkdo

21st of Feb, 2011

ukxs115,

I'm also sorry to read about your trouble with CenturyLink. I'll be glad to look into the issue you're having with us. Just email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com with your name, account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com. Thanks.

22nd of Feb, 2011

Century Link just assumes you will tire and if you have no choice will continue with their service, some of us have no choice and are to busy with family emergencies and running a business th fight today ! apparently new Truth in advertising laws are in effect in Kansas now, and Century Link ( or Dink as I call them ) either has run out of illegal literature, or has decided to comply with our new law which they had exploited for two years after buying Embarq's ( or Embarf as call them ) illegal advertising material that was originally printed for them through deal with the old Sprint (yes Sprint ) : this advertising represented our rates before sale to Embarq !
    Century Link was and is just too deceitful and Corrupt to live up to advertising and too cheap, and greedy to print new !

• Gr
      23rd of Jun, 2011

To Joey from Century Link,
    I was just wondering something, do you ever help any of these people? Because your response is always the same. Just curious, because this many people having basically the same problem seems a little fishy to me. I'm suppose to Century Link installed on July 6 in North Ft. Myers, I haven't signed a contract yet. All I did was set up an installation date. This sucks to hear all these people having these problems and being over charged. I think I might have to call Comcast after all.

• Mr
      26th of Oct, 2012

To all Century link customers, and former Embarq customers if you had a package deal with them. When it was still Embarq for phone service, Internet and television. You make have been (and still ) being over charged. For they dropped Dish Network.
    I called a few times about lowering my cost and was tolled there is no way to lower to it with the package deal I have. Well I called back again a few days ago and talked to a lady in customer service. And after looking at my account she said I was still being for the package deal with Dish Network which they no longer have. She then proceeded to check my account and said I can save and lower my bill to $71 + per month instead of $117 + per month. That over $40.00 dollars saving a month saving. I have been paying this since they separated and started getting a bill directly from Dish Network. I believe that was in 2010 so that adds up to over $800.00 I paid for nothing. So I wonder how many other are still being charged. I hope everyone will call them and check their account to see if they are being charged for this yet

• De
      28th of Apr, 2014

This happened to me as well, they quoted me 99 dollars and said it would be 104 with taxes. my first bill was 321.00 i haven't had a bill under 220 yet, and its been almost a year, i swapped to save money, but its cost me more than double what i was paying before. I've spent more hours than i can recall on the phone with these people and its just a different lie everytime.
    I'm going to speak with my attorney today about legal action to get out of the contract, i want no part of doing business with these people.

• Ki
      29th of Sep, 2015

Kim N
    I have been with century link (Internet) for many years. In August I decided to bundle all services to save the money. I was told by their representative that my total monthly bill would be around $80/month and also I will get $100 visa gift card. Yesterday I got a bill of over $195. I called and they said they put in the code wrong, so they will change it and I asked then how much would my new monthly bill would be, they couldn't tell me how much. How could they not know? They first said $135 then change to $140some and then 160some. I don't get this at all, what kind of representative are they? I felt so mislead and all they said was that they sorry that their rep made a mistake. They just tried to get you sign the contract then throw you right to hell with this. They tranfers you from one person to the next and no one can do anything. No one is honest in this company that you can talk to and that they can help you to solve the problem which caused by their own people. I'm taking this to my State's Attorney General and Consumer Protection Division if I don't get this solve.