Cathay Pacific / Award Redemption

1 Hong Kong

This email is regarding a complaint on my 2 current bookings with Cathay Pacific in particular on the one concerning an award redemption booking (32ZBGB). The 2 bookings I have made are for my 70 years old dad traveling with my 5 years old son from Hong Kong to San Francisco. First, I have to make numerous phone calls in order to check and recheck on availabilities for award redemption as I have been told that there are not a single available seat for redemption during the entire month of April. Finally after at least 5 attempts, I could able to secured a booking to depart on June 13th, but the flight is not ideal since CX872 departing from HK will arrive at 11pm which would not have sufficient for connection flight. However, since there was only 1 choice for the whole entire month of June, I had to take it and has been told I could request to be put on the waitlist for CX870 (the flight that would arrive SFO in the morning for sufficient connection). I then proceeded to book my son's flight (4IE766) and it was as done in one phone call. This paid ticket has much higher privileges and flight time choices. In fact, during another 5 attempts to connect with Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club during the month of May, I have tried to quote 4IE766 flight first and seats were available basically any date during the month of June. However, since a junior ticket has to be connected to an adult ticket and in this case the adult ticket is a redemption booking, there are NO seats available. I have tried to call many times and even spoken with a supervisor and were only advised that there are only limited available award seats as set by the headquarters and ALL of the CX870 flights from the period of June 13 to June 23 were shown fully booked. So therefore, I have left with NO choice but to stick with the ONLY AVAILABLE SEAT for the entire month. I would have to sadly see my dad and my son gone off to San Francisco, knowing after 14 plus hours flight they will still need to be stuck in the airport for at least 8 hours before the first connection flight to Seattle, their final destination of this trip.

This is not the first time I have trouble redeeming Asiamiles with Cathay Pacific and I have to say that every single time was an extremely unpleasant experience. It appears to me that Cathay Pacific only reserve/allow EXTREMELY limited amount of seats that could be available for redemption booking, in particular on popular routes and flights. This makes redemption choices extremely limited and the process is difficult for both customer end and Marco Polo representative. There is another redemption booking (33B2JC) under my profile for my mom and I have been told that there is not a single available seat on the route HKG to SFO for the entire 2 months of November and December. In this case, what is the purpose of award redemption? As a loyal customer of Cathay Pacific, I do not feel privileged or well-treated. Cathay Pacific spent so much advertisement on promoting their flight attendants or pilots which they mostly posted like models. I do not feel like their appearance has anything to do with service. In fact Cathay Pacific continuous to be one of airlines that gives poorest services on most of the check points. After 6 years of traveling with Cathay, I cannot pin point anytime I felt valued as a customer. I hope this massage can be escalated to get some attention and I will continue to search on my professional network to find the right person who set up the guidelines on award redemption process, as this current set up is completely deviated from the purpose of customer appreciation.

Ch