Capital One Prepaid / prepaid debit card

1 Salt Lake City, UT, United States Review updated:

I have a prepaid mastercard from Capital One that I utlize for direct deposit of paychecks and other items such as tax refunds. Unable to access account i contacted customer service at which time I was told my account had been locked pending identification verification. I was told I needed to fax a copy of my drivers license and social security card and my acoount would be unlocked within 72 hours. When I asked about my direct deposits were rejected and sent back to their point of origin. Now I am going to have to wait approximately a week for my employer to re-issue a check. In addition whenI contacted the IRS regarding my tax refund I was told due to the fact that the deposited was rejected I would be recieving my tax by mail in 4-6 weeks. All I get from Capital One is "I'm Sorry"

Comments

• Im
      19th of Mar, 2010

I agree. The same thing happened to me. The sated that due to a "security" issue they had to have everyone verify their identification. “Aren’t you glad we are looking out for your best interest?” They did nothing but cause major problems.

• Od
      1st of May, 2010

I too, have a Capital One Mastercard that rejected my social security deposit. That was two weeks ago, my phone was turned, rent didn't get paid and my groceries were down to nothing because of Capital One doing their little review. I am disgusted with the whole situation and especially after big banks begging for money from taxpayers last year. If this is how depositers are treated then let them close their doors permanently.

• Je
      7th of May, 2010

Yep, I had the same thing happen to me. I stopped my direct deposit and started getting my check by paper. Then I got a letter from Capital One stating that they apologized for the inconveneince. They assured me everything was fixed in their system. So, I decided to give them another try. Ths is the 2nd week in a row that I have not received my direct deposit at the same time my other co-workers receive theirs!! It is 4:15pm and I still don't have my pay check. They claim on their website that we get it first and fast...B***s**t. I called them and they said that they are having to manually enter in the deposits as they get them. My employer sends out payroll on Wednesday. It is Friday...what's the deal. As soon as I get my payroll I am cancelling the card. I DO NOT recommend this card to anyone who needs their money when they get paid!!!

• Me
      1st of Jul, 2010

OH MY GOD... NO WAIT... HOW ABOUT I HAD MY DIRECT DEPOSIT SENT FOR MY CHILDRENS SOCIAL SECURITY DISSABLITY... TODAY IS THE 1ST, I STILL HAVE NOT RECIEVED MY CARDS FROM 6/17!!! THEY SAID THERE IS NO WAY FOR THEM TO SEND ME MY FUNDS!!! I AM WAITING FOR THE CORPRATE OFFICE TO CALL ME BACK. I HAVE NOW WAITED FOR TWO HOURS!!! MY ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED AND I WILL STICK WITH MY FIDELITY ACCOUNT!!! I HATE CAPITAL ONE, EVEN THEIR CREDIT CARD!!! THE WORST COMPANY EVER!!!

*** THIS IS SAD THIS MANY PEOPLE HAVE COMPLAINTS ALREADY... MY GOD!!!

• Lu
      25th of Aug, 2010

Thank you all for posting this information on this site. I was planning to enroll for this prepaid card today but have since changed my mind after reading through these complains. Thanks for the heads - up!

• On
      21st of Sep, 2010

omg this happend to me to with my school refund chk and all i got was an im sorry...wtf... im beyond livid

• On
      21st of Sep, 2010

i was pissed i woke up this morning to see if my deposit was in my acct i couldnt get access sooo i called customer service thy sd oh the acct is locked cz of verification and the deposit was sent back...ummmm ru SERIOUS im like the acct has been open since july and i recvd capital one alerts yesterday of my blnce...WHY DIDNT U CALL ME I WOULD HAVE SENT THE INFO TO U..why do u wait until u hv my money to do this...I WILL NEVER OPEN ANOTHER ACCT LIKE THIS AGAIN WITH THEM..now im praying my refund is deposited into my other acct i had to redo my direct deposit

• Un
      27th of Nov, 2010

Damn, I hope I'm not screwed. Signed up for a card, and spent 2 hours on the phone trying to find out how to load money and when the card would arrive.
    I was given nine numbers to call, and the prepaid support won't answer unless I have the card already.

But, Its still 20, 000 times better than upsidecard which is based in India charging $9.00 to call support and be treated like garbage, then called a racist over and over when I ask to speak to someone who speaks English, then closing my account when I demand a refund that I was promised before I even called.

• Un
      30th of Jan, 2011

I ALSO HAVE A ACCT W/ CAPITOL ONE. I WAS LOOKING FOR MY TAX RETURN ON FRIDAY AND IT WASNT THERE. CAPITOL ONE SENT IT BACK TO THE IRS. CALLED THE IRS AND NOW I HAVE TO WAIT ON A PAPER CHECK...BUMMER...NEVER LOAD TAX RETURN ON THIS CARD IF ITS ANYTHING OVER $7500.00

• Vu
      2nd of Feb, 2011

• Vu
      2nd of Feb, 2011

I still waiting for the card would you let me know your have sent it out yet .
    A 733101718746

• Ju
      3rd of Feb, 2011

i opened a account with them 1 year ago and this what happened to me i got the card week later and i actived the card online and then went to transfer money from my official bank to capital one prepaid card and the amount was 200 dollars and the transfer was succesful then i went to grocery store to buy my stuff so i gave the card to the cashier to find out that the card did not go through so i decided to pay with my regular debit card so as soon i got home i called them just to found out that they locked my account just because they wanted to verify my drivers license and social security number so they told that they wanted me to send a copy of my ssn and my drivers license so i send it and guess what they called me 2 days later to tell me that my ssn did not match with my name and all that so basically this is what happened after all i went to a big process that it took me almost 6 [censor]en moths just to get my money back so please guys dont waist your time with them just go open a bank account with bank of america, chase, wells fargo etc, , ,

• Rr
      4th of Feb, 2011

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Kh
      28th of Mar, 2011

Please do not open an account with Capitol One prepaid card! they are the worse excuse for a company that i have ever had the pleasure to do business with! they will literally steal your money, they are theives...STAY AWAY!!!

• Tt
      11th of Jun, 2011

I had my refund deposited onto this card too for the first time...went to use it once the money finally posted and it declined...Cap One expects for people to go through this when they have been waiting for their Money..wish I read these posts before I had money deposited ...they are CROOKS!

• Di
      19th of Jan, 2012

Maybe they do not take "us" serious because we are utilizing prepaid services and not a traditional bank. I withdrew my money from a traditional bank to avoid high fees, and trusted my money to this capital one card. They have allowed a voided transaction to still hold as pending on my account, which has placed it in negative status. I am furious!! I will not and am not going to let this ride...tired of corporate BS!!

upset/disappointed

26th of Apr, 2012

I got my check deposited in and it is pending the money is on the card and pending for what i need my hard earned money today not tomorrow. What should i do

• Pa
      11th of Jun, 2012

This "bank" is extremely foolish! They rejected one of my on going direct deposits because "you can only have 10 loads per month"!! Isn't the purpose of a bank is to manage and secure funds? What other bank only permits a certain amount of direct deposits in an allotted period? When I called to speak with a supervisor, I asked her was this information listed in a conspicous location for customer's disclosure. She said "yes"! I asked her where was it, and as she proceeded to tell me where it was on the online page, I advised her that is not conspicous. She then stated, "it is your responsibility to read the disclosures." I am going to withdraw ALL of my money from this account and move forward to an authentic bank that doesn't provide limits on revenue that can be deposited.

• La
      31st of Dec, 2012

I too agree strongly with the rest of the cardholders. I get direct deposits from ssi &when I checked, I had a balance of $37. @ first I was like oh they didn.t post the rest of the benefits yet. So I waited until 8:45am then I checked again. I was in awe when the balance was still $37. I called ssi first to see what was going on. The representative I spoke with explained to me that they posted everything today that I would have to call the bank. Called Capital One & they claimed they only received $37 dollars to call ssi.because Capital One only received that amount that it should be posted by 10am. Here it is 3:15pm still no funds. Can someone give me a # to a good bank please because I am serious about getting my $ on time. Thanks

• Jp
      30th of Jan, 2013

WOW!!! I wish I would've read this complaints board before I opened up my account. I moved out to phoenix temporarily when I was unemployed hoping to get a job out there, mind you I closed my regular bank account and didn't make a change of address request because I was unsure if I would get the job in phoenix or not. If I got it I would make the change of address. So i signed up for a capital one prepaid back in august. I never got the job and was only in phoenix for no more than 3 weeks. So I came back home. Never used the card. Got a job and everything in el paso and was using another prepaid card but that had limited funds allowed per day for direct deposit, and I had my student financial aid getting refunded, so I checked on the capital one card to see how much they allow per direct deposit and was happy to see they allow $7500. so I switched my info with my school so they could direct deposit the refund to the capital one prepaid...lo and behold...it goes through but when trying to access my card online it says in red "that i need to call customer service"...I called and was informed that my account was frozen due to needing to verify my address. I explained to them that when I first got my card i had just moved to phoenix and was not a tenant but living with a friend until I got a job that I was offered, job fell through and I moved back to el paso. So I had them change my address in their system to show my current address and I sent them a copy of my drivers license, a copy of their stupid prepaid card and two pay check stubs on tuesday. The next day they say it is not sufficient info and still need me to send in my ssn...so I did and even sent in a copy of my birth certificate just to be a jack ###. I call them to see if everything is ok and if they could finally release my account, they tell me no, that they still wanted a utility bill or my vehicle registration that showed my address. After fighting with them and calling them every name in the book, I finally got a manager that told me the truth, they basically wanted proof of address from my phoenix location (which I have nothing to help prove that since I wasn't living there long enough to change my address) and that it would take 3-5 business days to view my info i already sent them. and they don't count the day you send it to them, it takes effect the next day. And he told me it wasn't even a guarantee after those 3-5 business days that my account would be unfrozen because they were still going to need proof of my address in phoenix. Who does that?!?!?! I am proving my current address right now!! I sent everything they asked and yet after every call I still felt like none of my questions where answered. All i kept getting was "we're sorry, we completely understand your frustration"...SHUT UP!!! NO YOU DON"T!!! how would you like it if you gave ME your $3000 check and I didn't let you access it unless you verified a address that you don't live at anymore and don't have proof of it, but have proof of a new address?!?!?!? I hate when they try to make you feel like they are sorry and doing everything they can, when in reality they could care less about you. Now my rent is due, Im late paying my school which I could get dropped out of because of this. It has been a 3 day nightmare and all could've been avoided had I read this earlier. And why do they wait til they have my money to decide to let me know they are going to freeze my account, wait i take that back, they didn't tell me, i had to find out on my own, luckily i didnt go out and try to purchase anything so i saved the embarrasment their. Luckily i talked to my school and they are going to do a stop check payment and issue me my refund via paper check. If you are thinking about getting this card...DON"T!!! if you already have this card, DON"T LOAD ANY FUNDS!!! If you got screwed already by capital one...I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!...its not surprising they are "stopping their prepaid accounts" as of march 1st. GOOD RIDDANCE CAPITAL ONE! never again!!! ugh im so livid