British Gas / 5 star heating plan

United Kingdom Review updated:
I tried to take out the 5 star plan from british gas.
When the engineer came to ### the central heating, he spotted that the sight glass on the boiler was cracked.
He told me that the boiler was not safe and would have to disconnect it because the boiler was old and parts were unobtainable.
Before he arrived the boiler had been working perfectly with this cracked sight glass for about ten years.
British gas sent a rep to sell me a new boiler to the cost of £2700
Or a new system for £4800.
My son obtained a new sight glass and replaced it, but still british gas want £160 to reconnect.
THEY ARE A COMPLETE DISGRACE,
THE 5 STAR PLAN IS A SCAM TO MAKE PROFIT MAINLY OUT OF THE OLD.
As i am an OAP I could not afford either of these two costs.
Therefore I have been without hot water or Central Heating since February 2007 As the winter approches I still cannot fird the money to repalce my boiler, if there is anyone out there that can suggest anything please get in touch.

Comments

Ge
  2nd of Nov, 2007
As an employee for a CORGI company I must advise you that British Gas were well within theirs rights to advise you that a cracked sight glass is indeed a dangerous situation. As per the regulations set out to ALL gas engineers to ensure your safety, any part of a boiler that is missing, or damaged on a room sealed boiler that will allow in certain circumstances combustion products to enter a room - such as a cracked sight glass - will be classed as immediately dangerous - a situation where the appliance needs to be physically disconnected from the gas supply. It is the LAW. I have had many instances when customers call for a second opinion and I tell them what they have already been told. Hope this helps with your query.
Mi
  18th of Nov, 2008
I have recently finished working as a sub contractor with British Gas, and have to say they are the worst companyin the universe to work for.90% of boilers on the home care package dont even get a proper service which is what there customers are paying for.They are more interested in pointing out all the changes in regulations which makes the customer think there boiler is unsafe and they pay rip off prices to rectify the faults.I for one wouldnt let BG near my boiler if i was freezing to death.Every person with a contract with BG for boiler repair should either cancel it or flush that money down the toilet.My services are available for a fraction of what the all mighty British Gas charge.And dont think they just treat customers like crap they do the same to there subbies

British Gas Services Logo British Gas Services