British Airways / denied the right to fly even after having valid documentation

1 TX, United States

I had booked my flight to India and back with British Airways. My family which includes my wife and my 2.3 year old son left from Lubbock via Dallas and London to Bangalore. At the London Airport the BA staff observed that my son had an endorsement on his passport equivalent to a Permanent Resident card (as he was yet to receive his PR card) and allowed us to travel to Bangalore.
On our return trip, which was scheduled for the 7th September 2009, I was to fly with my son from Cochin via Mumbai and London to Dallas and subsequently to Lubbock. I reached Mumbai with my 2.3 year old son and had to move through airports and finally came by to the International airport at Mumbai and was made to check in at the BA counter.
They verified my passport and PR card and then verified my son’s passport and saw the endorsement and stated that we could not board the flight as the endorsement could not be accepted. When I stated that it was with the same endorsement that I travelled to India with, they had no answers.
This is when my ordeal began. The staff at the BA by the name of Kiran(Name changed) just refused to say anything else. He refused to understand that I was with a 2.3 year old son and absolutely no empathy for the place and situation I was in. Further he did not give me an option on what to do next. It seemed that I was taking a transport bus to a remote village to India because Mr.Kiran was not bothered whether I take the flight or not in the future. He did not mention what happens to my ticket. Did not give me an option.
I was in a city where I did not know whom to contact. On the same day that is September 9th 2009, I took another flight back to Cochin as I knew there was no point in staying back in Mumbai.
On returning back to Cochin, I took a flight with another airline and came to the US on September 11th. 2009. The ignorance exhibited by the British Airways

• Would have costed me my job as I was to join back work on June 11th 2009.
• Both my son and myself was put through mental torture with no one to help at the Mumbai airport and it seemed that everyone was asking me for money for helping us at the airport.
• It costed me dear as I had to take another flight back to Cochin and later to the US.