British Airways / no refund

1 San Diego, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 858-722-2202

In November 2007, my mother and I booked two seats on flights from San Diego CA to London (via Los Angeles) for an 8-day round trip, beginning March 14, 2008.

Unfortunately, on the day of the planned trip, my mother had to go to the hospital ER and was unable to travel. The doctors told her not to travel for at least a week and so we tried to reschedule our flight with British Airways for the following week. However, they were fully booked and we were unable to get the flights we wanted.

In attempting to reschedule the flights with the airline, I was talking with Reservation Agent "Jessica", who advised me to completely cancel the tickets, since there were no available flights for our required dates, and request a refund from the airline. (She then advised me to rebook on another airline). Jessica mentioned that, since my mother was unable to fly due to a health matter, there would be no problem in getting a full refund. She also advised me to fax the appropriate paperwork from the doctors to BA, prior to the time of our first scheduled flight, stating again that there would be no problem in getting a full refund, since we had experienced a medical emergency. I followed her instructions and the fax was sent about an hour prior to flight time.

Other than one email advising us that we were entitled to a refund of taxes only, British Airways have thus far ignored our correspondence and requests for a full refund. At this point, they are not responding at all to us and we have tried on several occasions to contact them.

We are currently $1775.98 out of pocket and have received no further response from BA during the past two-plus months, other than an automated fax receipt.

I have contacted my credit card company but they cannot help in this situation as we are more than 90 days out from the time of booking, on November 27, 2007.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. $1775.98 is a lot of money for a Senior Citizen (my mother) to be duped out of.

Gi

Comments

• Ra
      30th of May, 2008

THE ONLY WORST ARILINE IN THE WORLD IS BRISTISH AIRLINES...ALL AIRLINES LOOKS BETTER EVEN WITH THEIR DRAWBACKS WHEN COMPARED TO BRISTISH AIRLINES...WORST AIRLINE

• Ju
      25th of Jun, 2010

I booked a flight from San Francisco to Berlin via London on 04/24/10. This was around the time the volcano blew up. BA requested that passengers cancel or delay non-essential flights so that other passengers who were stranded around the world could get home. BA offered full refunds on their website for cancellations.

When I called my booking agent to cancel they told me my flight had already been cancelled, and that although I was entitled to a full refund, the refund process would take 6 - 8 weeks.

By now it's been nearly 10 weeks, my booking agent says they haven't received the money from BA yet, and BA says I need to contact the booking agent. BA hasn't even responded to my complaint via e-mail.

What's up with these people? BA is holding $1000 of mine for nothing and I can't pay my rent. I want my money back, I want an apology, and I want people to know how rude and unprofessional BA is conducting itself. In my opinion BA deserves a good spanking. I also wonder if other people are in a similar situation.