Bray and Scarff / Incompetence

1 Arlington, VA, United States Review updated:

Searching for an upgraded gas cooktoop, we responded to a flyer from Bray and Scarff by dropping into their store near our home in Alexandria. An uninterested and uninformative dolt eventually roused himself from his slumber and showed us a few things -- but not the Bosch cooktop advertised. Since we were going to be in Arlington, we visited their store there and found a much more energetic, personable and informative salesman. We ordered the cooktop, including installation, although the price was a bit more than available from internet suppliers, in the interest of supporting a local business. The salesman informed us that someone would have to come out to inspect the proposed location before actual installation. A few days later, a remarkable individual appeared -- easily the dumbest human being I have encountered in 78 years of life. He couldn't find the cooktop listing in the out-of-date catalog he brought with him; he ignored the cutout measurements the salesman had carefully noted on the invoice; he was completely baffled to find that our cutout had to be enlarged by about half an inch; and after taking numerous pictures, he left in total confusion, saying that the experts back in the shop would have to decide what to do. Shortly afterward, we called Bray and Scarff and canceled the installation -- if this was the type of technician they employed, we didn't want them fooling around with flammable gases! I then got a nice Mexican guy who does work for us to enlarge the cooktop cutout to the correct dimensions for the Bosch unit -- a task that took about 20 minutes. Then came the saga of actually getting the cooktop. First, it was coming on Tuesday, then on Friday, but it was out of stock, so it would come on another Tuesday, then Saturday, then it was still out of stock and wouldn't be available for some weeks -- but there was a display unit that we could have, and they'd wrap it up for us to pick up. We did arrive to pick it up, but it wasn't wrapped up, and some accessories were missing. SO, we've finally said "To HELL with you, Bray and Scarff" and cancelled the order. Gangs like Bray and Scarff that just can't shoot straight DESERVE to be forced out of business, and I for one am extremely happy to assist in the process. I've just order the cooktop from an outfit in New York that has five of them IN STOCK, and at a price 10% lower that BS's. Moral: If you value your sanity, stay away from Bray and Scarff. They are the most uncoordinated and thoroughly screwed up business operation I've ever dealt with.

Comments

12th of Dec, 2016

I agree with you wholeheartedly Sir. We have been caught up in their nonsense since before Thanksgiving. We still are without a scheduled
    visit from an electrician. They don't have the units that we paid a deposit for. Mr Demarco, the store in Laurel's manager) suggested we get another type that costs 6 $300.00 more. He said if we tried to get the double oven that we want we probably wouldn't get it until after Christmas.
    Bray & Scraff company is unprofessional, incompetent, lacks fundamental social skills and they are dishonest. I look for sales people who carry high ticket items such as Kitchen Aid to have a lot more understanding about their customers but this company absolutely does not.
    They've ruined this holiday for my family. I couldn't cook for Thanksgiving and because of them I may not be able to entertain my family for the Christmas holiday.
    I am disgusted. I want to be compensated for my time, money and your lack of integrity and concern for how important it was for us to be able to have a working stove top (cancelled) and oven (cancelled) We cancelled the sale today Dec. 12, 2016 after the final blow from mr demarco.
    Get this...An electrician called to say that he was on his way to my house only 5minutes after cancelling my purchase.

• Bu
      5th of Jan, 2018

Hey, I know the slovenly dolt(s) at the Alexandria location. Couple them with the ham-handed project management process and you have a recipe for overpriced, under-performing, inefficient, time-wasting, substandard quality home "improvement". Lesson learned on these money grubbers.

• Bu
      5th of Jan, 2018

Slovenly dolts-- you'd think they were doing community service or something.