Booking.com / cancellation of booking

I booked 'Mystic Valley Resort' located in Igatpuri for 3 rooms through booking.com website on April 12, 2017 for April 29 to May 1. I get a confirmation mail with booking confirmation mail with id:[protected] and PIN code: 1131.

On Apr 29, 2017 I land at the property travelling from Mumbai with my family and at the reception I am informed that they have never received any booking on my behalf from booking.com. Here I would want to mention that my family member includes a 4 year old kid, a senior citizen and a 7 month pregnant lady among others.

I contact booking.com and they very coolly give me an option of a Hotel Narmada.
I would want to highlight certain points here:
As per Booking.com website FAQ excerpt:

How do I know my reservation is confirmed?
As soon as you have completed the booking process the confirmation page appears. We also email a copy of this confirmation to you. Your confirmation includes all of your reservation details, as well as a booking number and your PIN code. Your booking number and PIN code will only be needed if you contact Customer Service. You can also access your confirmation online, see details of your reservation, or make changes to your booking at anytime by visiting your account and going to the ‘My Bookings’ page.

Then if my booking is confirmed, as per above excerpt how can the hotel cancel it. Secondly, if after booking it on booking.com I still need hotel confirmation why do I need booking.com, I can do it on hotel website itself.

To check this again in evening I booked a property 'Beautiful Bungalow' in Lonavala which showed available on booking.com. I get confirmation also for it. But I called to property to cross check and was informed there is no availabilty. If they are booked how come it shows available on booking.com and if booked through website how can a hotel cancel it or just deny it.

After Booking.com offered us a lousy replacement of 'Hotel Narmada', I get my booking cancellation mail from 'Mystic Valley Resort'. If they never got my confirmation how did they cancel it.

It was a pathetic experience and would request all readers to book on hotel website directly or if still they want to book through booking.com then please get a confirmation mail from property

Ga