[Resolved] Booking.com / defamatory review

1 Netherlands Review updated:

a guest had written a defamatory review about hotel staff and booking.com approved it. Staff members have no right to reply on the website

• Resolution statement

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jun 01, 2012

Hi Kevin. We would be happy to discuss this, can you post your hotel name or hotel ID? If not, our Hotels Team would be able to help you.

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Feb 13, 2013

Hi Gaston,

I would like to follow up on this. Could you please post your hotel’s name or hotel ID?
    Our hotels team would be glad to discuss the issue with you.

Kind regards,
    Sergejs

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Mar 15, 2013

Hi Joe!
    I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please post your booking number so our specialized team can investigate this further?

Regards, Mac

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 02, 2013

Hi Justjonesx4,
    I am sorry to learn about your feelings and would like to get to the bottom of it.
    Could you please send me an email to customer.[protected]@booking.com with further information regarding the relevant reviews?
    Once I have this information I will contact the corresponding department for further investigation.
    Thanks, Tal

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 03, 2013

Hi Justjonesx4,
    If you want us to follow up on this we need more details. Like my colleague wrote before, you can send it to customer.[protected]@booking.com. I understand you're unhappy about one review and from my part would like to find out what happened. Once we have this information we can proceed.
    Regards, Mac

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 03, 2013

Hi Justjonesx4,
    Thank you for your email. I will check it out now and we will contact you soon.
    Cheers, Mac

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 06, 2013

Hi Justjonesx4,
    Your e-mail has been received and I have already asked our
    corresponding department to contact you as soon as possible.
    Regards, Sergejs

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Nov 12, 2013

Hello,
    I would like to review this matter with the appropriate department. Can you please send the guests booking number to customer.[protected]@booking.com?
    Regards, Andrea

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Dec 29, 2013

Hello Stephen,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please provide me with your Hotel ID?

Regi

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jan 11, 2014

Hi There,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. If you would like for me to assist you, I will need for you to provide me with your hotel ID. If you are not comfortable posting it on the forum, please send it to me in a direct message.

Regi

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jan 14, 2014

Thank you Domenica.
    I apologize once again for the inconvenience.
    I will inform the relevant department and my colleague will contact you at the earliest.

Regards, Konstantina

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jan 14, 2014

Hello,

Thank you for your post. Can you please clarify if you need assistance with something as I am here to help? You can also send an email to customer.[protected]@booking.com referencing this post and I will follow up.

Regards, Andrea

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jan 16, 2014

Hi again Demi.
    I have contacted you account manager and he informed me that he has sent you an e-mail with some questions so that he can follow up with the issue.
    Please feel free to contact me should you need further assistance.

Regards, Konstantina

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Feb 03, 2014

Hello Demi,

Records indicate you were contacted on January 15th. I'm sorry you didn't receive all of the information you needed. I will once again contact your local hotels department to assist you further. Alternatively, their office is open at this time and their contact information is listed in our shared system, the extranet.

Regards, Kelly

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Mar 03, 2014

Hi Demi,

I'm sorry your issue has not been resolved yet. I have contacted again the hotels team and my colleague will follow up as well. You can alternatively contact your Account Manager yourself. I've sent you a message with all the details.

Regards, Chloe

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Mar 22, 2014

Hello Vorsicht,

I am sorry to hear about this.
    While I understand how a negative review can feel, especially when a hotelier has worked so hard to provide accommodations to many guests, with a variety of expectations. After reading many reviews, and other guests response to a review, it would seem most guests have enough sense to not pay attention to the best, or worst reviews, but only pay attention to those in the middle. I would like to assist you further, can you provide me with your hotel ID number?

Kristen

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Mar 26, 2014

Hi there,
    I have just replied to your private message. This matter has been forwarded to our hotels team and you will be contacted as soon as possible.
    Regards, Tal

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 07, 2014

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the info. I have located your booking and I see my colleague has sent you an email in regards to this case 3 days ago. I have sent you a private message with more info. Feel free to let me know if you have more questions.

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Aug 08, 2014

Hi Leonard,

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. If you would like I can take a look at the guest's review and check to see if I can do anything about it. Please provide me the guest's booking number. Alternatively, you can email it to "customer.[protected]@booking.com" while referencing this post.

Brian

Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

23rd of May, 2012

I too have had the same issue and now its anonymous and we dont even know if its a real guest.
    This is against the rights of the business owners and should be looked into immediately.

• Ke
      26th of May, 2012

Booking.com is a nightmare site, it will screw up your business good and proper stay away from it, we have had people stealing, trashing, causing mayhem, smuggling in extra people including prostitutes and when you pull them up about it or charge for the damages they write a complete pack of lies on Bookings.com review site, it takes you down to a point where no one books at all with no right to reply, its a nightmare, they have destroyed my business because of the small minded cyber bullies vandals and thieves that can now say what they like about you on this website without any come back, trip adviser was bad enough but this site is worse, it will screw you up good style, stay away from them, it will cost you your business, you have been warned.

• De
      1st of Sep, 2016
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

Subject: Reviews This guest stayed with us - during her stay they set fire to the carpet and we had to evacuate the house. This was a very serious matter, I called in to you on the day it happened and your colleague recorded "malicious guest". I corresponded with the guest and she paid £400.00 to replace the carpet, we did not report it to the police, as she agreed to pay. I have spoken to my solicitor and he has advised that because you are publishing the review, you are responsible for the defamation of our name and business. This review is to be taken down today, by 5 pm today this review is to be removed - if its not down I will be suing booking.com for defamation. Reservation ID: 639582416

• Ji
      18th of Oct, 2012

Booking. com are becoming more and more arrogant towards hoteliers.
    Reviews from anonymous guests, how are we supposed to improve if we have no idea which room the guest stayed in etc.
    Promoted reviews "supposedly most useful" liked by a handful of visitors but permanently ahead of all other reviews permanently no matter how old, unjust or unfair the review is.
    Email addresses of guest no longer on booking email
    No right of reply to any review no matter how unfair, untrue or exaggerated

• Ga
      6th of Feb, 2013

I have had the same issue, with a person who was very unhappy because her Director got a fine for smoking in the rooms. We nearly had to take her to court, but first got a threat from Booking.com than when she decided it was unreasonable and asked booking.com to alter her comment... booking.com refused!!! I only ask the right to comment on posted reviews and a verification process for people who continuously post bad reviews about all placed they go.

• Da
      24th of Nov, 2015

On the whole my guests give very positive reviews 9+ and I am steadily building up my score and trying to get it as close to 10 as I am able. I have just had an anonymous review with a score of 6.7 and this will no doubt undo some of the hard work I am putting in to my small business. There is no constructive feedback on the review and I have no way to reply. It seems out of kilter with all the other glowing responses and surely there should be someway to veto responses or at the very least respond to them. Compared to other posts on this forum, my complaint seems quite minor but every review is so important, especially when it comes to future guests booking their stay. Surely Booking.com wants to help businesses increase their bookings = larger commission!

• 24
      23rd of May, 2012

It is appalling that Booking.com are allowed to get away with this. They now allow the 'amateur critics' to slate hotels/properties with absolutely no checks as to the truth or validity of the comments. Now that the accusers are allowed to remain anonymous we, as a hotel, have no way of validating and thus acting on genuine complaints so improving the service for guests AND - this is the best bit - they will not even dignify us with the ability to provide a management response! Perhaps Booking.com could learn something from Trip Advisor and Laterooms.com who both provide a better facility to properties. An example, we have recently (6 months) had new, high quality beds put in all our rooms. A recent 'review' said that the bed was 'rickety' 'falling to bits' and 'uncomfortable' - I don't believe that it was this hotel but we do not know 'when' and 'which room'!! How do Booking.com expect us to improve our service? Come on Booking.com - show a little respect for the businesses that are making you millions! Perhaps a compromise - If the guest wants to review anonymously then let the property decide whether it is posted or not?

3rd of Apr, 2014

Forget it to ever have your reviews removed by the booking.com reviews team. They are stubborn and non understanding about the issues that are close to the heart of an accommodation operator. The fact they do not even provide the operators with an option to response to such slanderous reviews borders on negligence and facilitates the death of our reputation through comments made by the few disgruntled guests we all have to deal with occasionally.

Pathetic job, booking.com

• In
      3rd of Jun, 2014

Same thing here. I run a small boutique hotel in Bogota and we had a very bad review from a guest thinking he was arriving in a Sheraton (these are his words), and very frustrated and rude since his arrival.
    We tried to make him happy, upgraded him for free even though he had a 50% discount (that we will never do again, btw) etc. and even like that he gave us a very bad grade, WHITOUT any comment, and anonymously, obviously.
    I had several email exchanges with our account manager in Bogota and it was like talking to a stubborn camel. Unfortunately, Booking.com is playing the game of the dirty competition, which means that if tomorrow my competitors want to send me a fake guest and a bad review just to put my score down, they can do it with complete tranquility...

15th of Apr, 2015

Hello

Im facing also alot of issues with booking.com, i have a house and i rent it with them, im my house review was 10 total, suddenly they changed the guest review an people starting commenting as anonymous, they protect the people who are a booking, and not the hotel or guest houses owners, this is so un professional and im really thinking of closing my website and stop working with them, i had some arguments with one of the clients that was really really rude and unprofessional, one employee from booking.com sends me a very bad email telling me how to act with customers in a rude way, my review score 9.5 which shows how im professional, i really want to complain on that particular employee to complain

• Ax
      19th of Jan, 2015

A customer in her review called me scam, without saying anything else, HOW CAN BOOKING.COM ALLOW THIS? Calling me a scam in her review may kill my business, which is a family business.

She argues that she was cheated, that we charged her 35% more and that we promised somehow a jacuzy, imagine how many complains I would have if that was the case, it is even childish and Booking.com says that they can't remove it. I asked to put it in hold at least meanwhile I send them documentation that shows that we never overcharge her.

Please booking.com help me here

• Ne
      9th of Jan, 2016

It is typical to read so many times from booking.com 'customer help' that they will look in to it if we provide the details. It is obvious that they will not ever satisfactorily address the problem of false reviews and not being able to comment on them. So please stop saying you will look in to them and start saying WE WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM. You are insulting us by pretending to be concerned, the business policy of Booking.Com is to screw over hotel owners in any way they can to increase their profits.

• Va
      11th of Nov, 2013

Completely agree! We run a guesthouse in France, an we have been very upset by the lack of honesty from certain guests and Booking.com's answer.
    Example: this summer one of our small room was booked. Knowing that another visitor for a much larger room did not came we decided to upgrade our guests for free. Even thought, after leaving this visitor gave us the worst rating in our history with the following comment:
    "Beds really small. No air conditioning No TV or wifi".
    Our announcement gives precisely the size of beds, states precisely that we do not offer air conditioning, the room features a private lounge with TV and wifi works perfectly !
    Our request to the teams Booking was however denied. How to fight against hosts that do not read the description of the place and then complain about what's missing? We really helpless in front of such acts and booking clearly endorse this type of behavior ...

12th of Mar, 2013

What is the point of this blog? Nothing gets discussed. We all see the complaints of hotel owner. Most of them I agree with. Over the last year I must have send at least 50 emails about being overcharged. I sent it to ALL existing booking.com email addresses. Not 1 reply. But again, what is the point of this blog? Booking.com does not discuss anything on it. They just say contact us so the rest can't see how they deal with this. What a joke!

6th of Apr, 2014

The review in question is 232.286.795 and I have sent detailed information and proof of our points we raised to Marie. She promised me a call and I waited up for hours late at night and the call never came. - Tim

7th of Apr, 2014

I have responded to that email from 3 days ago in great detail straight away and followed it up again yesterday, hence my post on this forum. I have not received and further emails and I am not satisfied with the outcome. Being accused a liar is defamation, especially when you can prove that you are not. This can not possibly be tolerated by the booking.com reviews team. - I don't get private massages here as I am not displaying my identity on this forum as you can see from my login names - please contact me by phone or email as you have all my details.

• Le
      4th of Aug, 2014

We have been a big advacate of hotel.com since we opened, now two customers who probably thought it is fun just lied and ripped apart our motel and all the efforts and hard work we do every day. We have had many people cancel their reservations and when I called booking.com, expecting them to understand and want to keep our business, they just said there is nothing they are willing to do and people can lie about your motel and we are happy to publish it. So we are currently looking for a competitor of booking.com who cares about their customers.
    Leonard Lords Manager
    The High Country Motel Bellevue Idaho

• Su
      14th of Jan, 2015

booking.com cheaters and not careing at all about their customers. even customer services not helping you at all during any problem with hotels and also most of the hotels information about services and star rate not correct. what happened with me several time and i will add the booking number for your review .

my name is suhail from UAE i book a otel in dubai the hotel name was golden sands with booking # 752903539 when i reach the hotel i found that this reservation for 3 hotels not only 1 hotel golden sands 3, 5 & 10 and the best one of them they which i book golden sands 3 they said its fully booked and they send me to the worst hotel is in my life i refused to take it, then i cancel the booking because they cheating me by changing the hotel. the booking.com they said we can not do any thing about this problem because the hotel not agree to cancel the reservation without penalty first night payment should be pay.

i send many email to booking.com but they answear me that we explain to you many time that the bank policy like that we cant do any thing to them they not accept. SO TO SAVE YOUR MONEY AND INJOY YOUR HOLIDAY BE AWAY FROM BOOKING.COM BECAUS THEY ARE NOT CAREING THEY ARE LOOKING FOR THEIR BINIFITS ONLY.

• Ur
      21st of Nov, 2016

Hi I have a B&B in Coromandel Town I am really disappointed that people can put up lies about my facility and I cannot do anything about it
    For example I had a guest and he said no exhaust in the bathroom----he broke the switch and don't even let us know He put dirty towels and dirty carpet We just opened for the season on the 17th of November Each season we buy quality new towels, we just had the carpet cleaned 2 day before they arrived...we have a huge bathroom and large shower he complained about poor bathing facility ???? Give me a break
    These people can ruin our business and we just sit there and let that happen ?????
    I think as our provider Booking.com and trip advisory should be on our site and do something about it...
    There should not be Anonymous feedback so we can even reply...
    I have a 9.6 review and I don't think I got it if I don't have a clean facility and someone like them can just put up lies because they are miserable...
    i will think twice to advertise in the coming year unless somehow you can figure out the way to deal with this problem...
    Kind regards Ursula

• Ur
      21st of Nov, 2016

There should be a name and shame site so we can put these people up I am almost positive we would have a same people that go around and putting false feedback...