[Resolved] Booking.com / defamatory review

5 Netherlands Review updated:

a guest had written a defamatory review about hotel staff and booking.com approved it. Staff members have no right to reply on the website

• Resolution statement

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jun 01, 2012

Hi Kevin. We would be happy to discuss this, can you post your hotel name or hotel ID? If not, our Hotels Team would be able to help you.

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Feb 13, 2013

Hi Gaston,

I would like to follow up on this. Could you please post your hotel’s name or hotel ID?
    Our hotels team would be glad to discuss the issue with you.

Sergejs

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Mar 15, 2013

Hi Joe!
    I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please post your booking number so our specialized team can investigate this further?

Regards, Mac

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 02, 2013

Hi Justjonesx4,
    I am sorry to learn about your feelings and would like to get to the bottom of it.
    Could you please send me an email to customer.[protected]@booking.com with further information regarding the relevant reviews?
    Once I have this information I will contact the corresponding department for further investigation.
    Thanks, Tal

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 03, 2013

Hi Justjonesx4,
    If you want us to follow up on this we need more details. Like my colleague wrote before, you can send it to customer.[protected]@booking.com. I understand you're unhappy about one review and from my part would like to find out what happened. Once we have this information we can proceed.
    Regards, Mac

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 03, 2013

Hi Justjonesx4,
    Thank you for your email. I will check it out now and we will contact you soon.
    Cheers, Mac

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 06, 2013

Hi Justjonesx4,
    Your e-mail has been received and I have already asked our
    corresponding department to contact you as soon as possible.
    Regards, Sergejs

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Nov 12, 2013

Hello,
    I would like to review this matter with the appropriate department. Can you please send the guests booking number to customer.[protected]@booking.com?
    Regards, Andrea

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Dec 29, 2013

Hello Stephen,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please provide me with your Hotel ID?

Regi

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jan 11, 2014

Hi There,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. If you would like for me to assist you, I will need for you to provide me with your hotel ID. If you are not comfortable posting it on the forum, please send it to me in a direct message.

Regi

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jan 14, 2014

Thank you Domenica.
    I apologize once again for the inconvenience.
    I will inform the relevant department and my colleague will contact you at the earliest.

Regards, Konstantina

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jan 14, 2014

Hello,

Thank you for your post. Can you please clarify if you need assistance with something as I am here to help? You can also send an email to customer.[protected]@booking.com referencing this post and I will follow up.

Regards, Andrea

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jan 16, 2014

Hi again Demi.
    I have contacted you account manager and he informed me that he has sent you an e-mail with some questions so that he can follow up with the issue.
    Please feel free to contact me should you need further assistance.

Regards, Konstantina

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Feb 03, 2014

Hello Demi,

Records indicate you were contacted on January 15th. I'm sorry you didn't receive all of the information you needed. I will once again contact your local hotels department to assist you further. Alternatively, their office is open at this time and their contact information is listed in our shared system, the extranet.

Regards, Kelly

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Mar 03, 2014

Hi Demi,

I'm sorry your issue has not been resolved yet. I have contacted again the hotels team and my colleague will follow up as well. You can alternatively contact your Account Manager yourself. I've sent you a message with all the details.

Regards, Chloe

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Mar 22, 2014

Hello Vorsicht,

I am sorry to hear about this.
    While I understand how a negative review can feel, especially when a hotelier has worked so hard to provide accommodations to many guests, with a variety of expectations. After reading many reviews, and other guests response to a review, it would seem most guests have enough sense to not pay attention to the best, or worst reviews, but only pay attention to those in the middle. I would like to assist you further, can you provide me with your hotel ID number?

Kristen

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Mar 26, 2014

Hi there,
    I have just replied to your private message. This matter has been forwarded to our hotels team and you will be contacted as soon as possible.
    Regards, Tal

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 07, 2014

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the info. I have located your booking and I see my colleague has sent you an email in regards to this case 3 days ago. I have sent you a private message with more info. Feel free to let me know if you have more questions.

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Aug 08, 2014

Hi Leonard,

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. If you would like I can take a look at the guest's review and check to see if I can do anything about it. Please provide me the guest's booking number. Alternatively, you can email it to "customer.[protected]@booking.com" while referencing this post.

Brian

Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Em
      22nd of May, 2018

Contact information for your booking 1332231001 B&B Casa Florinda, First and last time booking with Booking.com I am not happy with your reply or lack of support of Booking.Com via a poor assistant named George, I will be contacting PayPal as well to inform them that throughout the booking procedure the cancellation Policy is hidden away. The Booking was made in good faith late on the 19th May my wife was taken by ambulance to hospital on the 20th May 2018 and is still there, I called the Hotel in between visiting my wife in hospital first thing in the morning of the 21st May 2018 3 days before our check in time to notify the hotel in advance of my wife’s unfortunate unforeseen health situation and were not prepared to refund. The trip included a booking with Expedia in a hotel in France for a day earlier . Expedia immediately refunded the full amount .
    I will make this as public as possible because of the hidden way you present the booking fine print and at which point it appears. Your cold attitude of dealing with this matter must not be repeated to others so I will be informing as many people as possible.

• Vi
      1st of Mar, 2017

Hello people,

I recognize these problems with Booking.com. They are a nightmare.

They have send us invoices with completely wrong company details etc so we refused to pay them ( the tax company will not accept this invoices ) now Booking.com suspended our account, so we are not bookable on booking.com at the moment, until we pay the ( incorrect ) invoices. Loss of income!

Also i have another question for the people with their accommodation on booking.com... did you know that booking.com sometimes checks the validity of credit cards that are provided by guests?

20th of Mar, 2017

@Viktoriaathens Hi, regarding your question about guest's credit cards - yes. I knew about it when received a booking cancellation and ask guests why they did so. They answered that they did not! After that guests returned with info that Booking.com cancelled their stay because of some problem with their card. Finally, I lost these guests.

20th of Feb, 2017

I am not trying to have any reviews removed but as a small hostel in Rio De Janeiro, I think it is totally unfair that a guest can leave a review anonymously and not give the establishment an opportunity to reply. This has happened to us on several occasions and although the reviews are anonymous, we know exactly who left them and the reasons that that left them. Any guest can say that a room smells musty or that the bed was uncomfortable or that the breakfast did not meet their standards. We had a guest leave a bad review and the reason was not at all what was stated in the review. She didn't want to buy a R$2 bottle of water and insisted that we give her filtered water, which we do not serve at our hostel. As a spite she left a negative review. Ok fine. We have enough positive reviews to offset the occasional bad ones that we receive. But to be able to post the review anonymously is, in my opinion, cowardly to say the least. And to not allow the establishment to respond is even more cowardly.

20th of Dec, 2016

Another masterpiece from Booking.com:
    Please be informed that:
    By signing the agreement with us, you accepted the guest reviews and the fact that we are not responsible for posted reviews.
    We will not enter into any further communication with you about this review.
    We will not remove or amend the review.
    The contract you entered into is with Booking.com BV, subject to Dutch law and Amsterdam courts as exclusive jurisdiction.
    If you want the review to be removed, then you require to terminate the agreement, after which the review will be gone forever.
    Alan
    Booking.com Partner Services Team

2nd of Jan, 2017

@Dmitry B. This is the most insidious reply I have yet read from a business to a partner. This man is obviously wrong. They certainly are responsible for what they publish. If they publish defamatory and untrue reviews they are liable. But, of course, they know if you sue them they will cancel the agreement, which is again subject to a claim for damages. But who can and wants to take them on?

16th of Dec, 2016

Brilliant, not rude and very professional:))))) reply from Booking.com:

Please kindly note that our different departments have already informed you multiple times that the review of this guest cannot be deleted. You are welcome to send us an official letter from your lawyer and we will see if there is anything else that can be done. At this point, this is just the personal opinion of the guest and it has not breached our policies. Please, note that you are not supposed to contact the guest or seek for more information from them about the review. You can, however respond to their review.
    Unfortunately, there is nothing else we can do to assist.
    Thank you for your cooperation.
    Zhala Labib

14th of Dec, 2016

The worst part of booking.com is their review system although their Extranet could do with a few improvements too, e. g. that the hoteliers themselves can adjust all relevant data, especially their so-called opportunities.
    But the review system clearly is practically a breach of any business ethics underlying a normal business relationship. Booking.com claims unbiased reviews. Of course, they are not. If you give guests a little extra they are not likely to write a negative review, and many hotels resort to this.
    The major point, however, is that guests can write anything they want. Short of the 4 or 5 criteria booking.com has for deleting a review, e. g. accusation of theft, etc., guests can complain about everything whether true or not. They can insult the hotel owner, call him a cheater, dishonorable, or whatever, booking.com will not take the review down
    Next worse thing is that booking.com arbitrarily changes guests' reviews. They give guests 4 option to rate a hotel - fair, good, very good, excellent. This is converted into a 10 point system by which a guest's very good turns into a good, e. g. a straight 7.5 (very good) from the guest will show as less than 8.0 (good) on their website. Any attempt to have that changed over 3 years have failed. Their claim is that they tested the system and it has proven to be the best. Basically, what booking.com engages in is unfair and deceptive trade practices which in most jurisdictions in the Western world is illegal and subject to complaints for damages, or at least injunctions to cease and desist. Obviously, no hotel owner has had the gumption to take on booking.com for fear of being shut out of their system. It would be quite easy to take booking.com to court in Holland, their corporate headquarters. Holland has this law on the books and wherever the hotel is located is of no importance as it can sue booking.com in Holland. From what I understand the majority of booking.com's hotel partners are small and medium-sized businesses that don't have the money to file a complaint.
    Periodically, booking.com has a research firm do a survey. From insiders I have learned that the most complaints hotels indicate is booking.com's review system. Again, over a number of years nothing has changed. The result most certainly is that hotels will make every effort to become as independent of booking.com, and other large OTAs such as Expedia and Agoda, as possible.

17th of Dec, 2016

@JSt390 Yes, I absolutely agree. My main concern is their review policy too. And you are right that review system is the biggest problems for accommodations. That's why maybe there is any sense to claim to regulators about Booking.com unfair competition? I've already done it in my country and should receive the reply in a 30 days. I'm sure we must act because the situation is affecting our business.
    P.S. Recently Booking.com has decided to screw owners again - now you should choose your commission size more than 15% if you want your property is seen more higher in search results. You can even choose to pay 50% commission to Booking.com. It means that since now more you pay than better you rank and your review score is not important any more?

16th of Dec, 2016

@Dmitry B. I sent a letter by snail mail to the CEO too. It remained unanswered. Booking.com has more pros than cons but the cons are very weighty and can ruin many potential bookings. It undoubtedly has enormous marketing power. Their main interest is to get guests to book on their website. They don't care which hotel it is; the pricier the better but, on the other hand, they lure guests with discounts that falsely calculated, in other words they are misleading guests. But to be honest, the main beef I have is their review system and I just hope that they will eventually adjust it to reflect a more balanced interest for both the guest and the hotel partner.

15th of Dec, 2016

@JSt390 Hi, have read your post with interest! Thank you! As I suggested in previous post to change the situation we should gather and place one claim from many owners. Don't you know how expensive it could be to sue Booking.com in Holland?
    Also, today I've decided and sent complaint to Booking.com CEO:) She replied and copied in MD of EMEA to look into the problem with review. Let's see.

11th of Dec, 2016

As we all can see Booking.com doesn't care about owners problems - no replies to the latest posts.
    From their site: Booking.com is a distributor (without any obligation to verify) and not a publisher of these comments and responses.

11th of Dec, 2016

Hello to all owners who are trying to do business with this company!
    I've got the similar problem as many here - defamatory, offensive, untruth review with mark 4.6. The story is very simple: reservation ID: 1031235849, there was a statement that "You have a booker that prefers communication by email". Not a problem, most of the guests prefer email. I sent them comprehensive information about the flat, phone numbers of our staff and WiFi info, on October 10th, eight days before check-in. They didn't reply to my emails at all. I also tried WhatsApp and Messenger, but with the same result. No reply, but the msg in WhatsApp was shown as read. I sent another several emails, but nothing. Try to call at last. I had to ask Booking.com to help me to contact the guest - nothing again. On October 18th I received a call from unknown (without numbers) number suddenly, the guests was there. They said that they stood near the door and couldn't enter. I helped them to get in. They merely forgot to include this in the review. I kindly advised them to check email. Since that there were no calls, no msgs, nothing. I was sure that everything was fine. But then surprise-surprise:) they left the review:
    “4.6
    2016-10-21 Reservation number 1031235849 Your Booking.com reviews page
    Yeming, (GB)
    Owner of this studio lives in Russia, never could reach him if you have problem!
    Location is good
    Wifi is not working. There is a Wifi note, but you never could find this Wifi. Owner of this studio is living in Russia, when we want to call him to ask wifi, never answer us, the phone number he gives us is a Russia number, if you have any problem during your stay, it's impossible to find this guy and reach any service. our neighbour booked same size apartment from another owner from airbnb, similar apartment they pay 250 pound for 5 nights, we pay 220 pound for 2 nights, that's shocked us. Castle view is outside, you can't see any castle view when you stay in the apartment.”

I really can't understand such behaviour. I always available by phone, email or messengers. Our experienced staff in Edinburgh are always ready to help as well. Also I was wonder to see "GB" near the name because he is from China actually. After this review my score has fallen to 8.9.
    As everyone here I can't receive any help from Booking.com, they said during phone call that they are posting EVERYTHING what guests want to say without any obligation to verify. It is an absurd situation when it is possible to post everything if it is not breach Booking.com rules! Another absurd - there is Defamation Act 2103 in the UK, but Booking.com B.V. doesn't follow it at all. Regarding this Law I sent them Notice of Compliant with request to delete that review. And guess what happened? Right! Nothing! Booking.com thinks that the Law is not about them. Also, they don't know what client oriented approach means:) So I've been living with this review since October 2016. Spiteful joke - this review is automatically chosen as "Reviewer's choice" everyday! As result - many cancellations, just several bookings from countries where English is not native. Also, I don't understand advice from Booking.com review team to leave a reply. Why should I leave a reply to lie? I'd like to post review of these guests instead, so other owners can avoid to host them:)! The most interesting point - they know that the review contains absolutely lie, they confirm it during the call!
    I think we can change this only if we gather and send one compliant to Booking.com or Regulatory organization or to the Court with thousand owner's signs. We have to stop such behaviour of the company, it is our business and only we must decide what is good for it! We're paying commission not guests! We must have opportunity to defend our rights and business!
    Dmitriy

23rd of Nov, 2016

Booking.com I am getting really angry with your support towards us business owners...People can walk out without pay and yet you still charge the commission even though I report it, stole from us, give us anonymous bad feedback, that we cannot reply too, false feedback and you say you cannot do anything about it...
    Where is OUR RIGHTS as a business owners ?????
    I see above comments people complaining about the same thing ...
    When we complain you don't even reply ...Not a good way to be a business representative I say...

Regards Ursula Mountainview B&B Coromandel town New Zealand

21st of Nov, 2016

There should be a name and shame site so we can put these people up I am almost positive we would have a same people that go around and putting false feedback...

21st of Nov, 2016

Hi I have a B&B in Coromandel Town I am really disappointed that people can put up lies about my facility and I cannot do anything about it
    For example I had a guest and he said no exhaust in the bathroom----he broke the switch and don't even let us know He put dirty towels and dirty carpet We just opened for the season on the 17th of November Each season we buy quality new towels, we just had the carpet cleaned 2 day before they arrived...we have a huge bathroom and large shower he complained about poor bathing facility ???? Give me a break
    These people can ruin our business and we just sit there and let that happen ?????
    I think as our provider Booking.com and trip advisory should be on our site and do something about it...
    There should not be Anonymous feedback so we can even reply...
    I have a 9.6 review and I don't think I got it if I don't have a clean facility and someone like them can just put up lies because they are miserable...
    i will think twice to advertise in the coming year unless somehow you can figure out the way to deal with this problem...
    Kind regards Ursula

• De
      1st of Sep, 2016
    Best Best Advice

Subject: Reviews This guest stayed with us - during her stay they set fire to the carpet and we had to evacuate the house. This was a very serious matter, I called in to you on the day it happened and your colleague recorded "malicious guest". I corresponded with the guest and she paid £400.00 to replace the carpet, we did not report it to the police, as she agreed to pay. I have spoken to my solicitor and he has advised that because you are publishing the review, you are responsible for the defamation of our name and business. This review is to be taken down today, by 5 pm today this review is to be removed - if its not down I will be suing booking.com for defamation. Reservation ID: 639582416

• Ne
      9th of Jan, 2016

It is typical to read so many times from booking.com 'customer help' that they will look in to it if we provide the details. It is obvious that they will not ever satisfactorily address the problem of false reviews and not being able to comment on them. So please stop saying you will look in to them and start saying WE WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM. You are insulting us by pretending to be concerned, the business policy of Booking.Com is to screw over hotel owners in any way they can to increase their profits.

• Da
      24th of Nov, 2015

On the whole my guests give very positive reviews 9+ and I am steadily building up my score and trying to get it as close to 10 as I am able. I have just had an anonymous review with a score of 6.7 and this will no doubt undo some of the hard work I am putting in to my small business. There is no constructive feedback on the review and I have no way to reply. It seems out of kilter with all the other glowing responses and surely there should be someway to veto responses or at the very least respond to them. Compared to other posts on this forum, my complaint seems quite minor but every review is so important, especially when it comes to future guests booking their stay. Surely Booking.com wants to help businesses increase their bookings = larger commission!

15th of Apr, 2015

Hello

Im facing also alot of issues with booking.com, i have a house and i rent it with them, im my house review was 10 total, suddenly they changed the guest review an people starting commenting as anonymous, they protect the people who are a booking, and not the hotel or guest houses owners, this is so un professional and im really thinking of closing my website and stop working with them, i had some arguments with one of the clients that was really really rude and unprofessional, one employee from booking.com sends me a very bad email telling me how to act with customers in a rude way, my review score 9.5 which shows how im professional, i really want to complain on that particular employee to complain

• Ax
      19th of Jan, 2015

A customer in her review called me scam, without saying anything else, HOW CAN BOOKING.COM ALLOW THIS? Calling me a scam in her review may kill my business, which is a family business.

She argues that she was cheated, that we charged her 35% more and that we promised somehow a jacuzy, imagine how many complains I would have if that was the case, it is even childish and Booking.com says that they can't remove it. I asked to put it in hold at least meanwhile I send them documentation that shows that we never overcharge her.

Please booking.com help me here

• Su
      14th of Jan, 2015

booking.com cheaters and not careing at all about their customers. even customer services not helping you at all during any problem with hotels and also most of the hotels information about services and star rate not correct. what happened with me several time and i will add the booking number for your review .

my name is suhail from UAE i book a otel in dubai the hotel name was golden sands with booking # 752903539 when i reach the hotel i found that this reservation for 3 hotels not only 1 hotel golden sands 3, 5 & 10 and the best one of them they which i book golden sands 3 they said its fully booked and they send me to the worst hotel is in my life i refused to take it, then i cancel the booking because they cheating me by changing the hotel. the booking.com they said we can not do any thing about this problem because the hotel not agree to cancel the reservation without penalty first night payment should be pay.

i send many email to booking.com but they answear me that we explain to you many time that the bank policy like that we cant do any thing to them they not accept. SO TO SAVE YOUR MONEY AND INJOY YOUR HOLIDAY BE AWAY FROM BOOKING.COM BECAUS THEY ARE NOT CAREING THEY ARE LOOKING FOR THEIR BINIFITS ONLY.

• Le
      4th of Aug, 2014

We have been a big advacate of hotel.com since we opened, now two customers who probably thought it is fun just lied and ripped apart our motel and all the efforts and hard work we do every day. We have had many people cancel their reservations and when I called booking.com, expecting them to understand and want to keep our business, they just said there is nothing they are willing to do and people can lie about your motel and we are happy to publish it. So we are currently looking for a competitor of booking.com who cares about their customers.
    Leonard Lords Manager
    The High Country Motel Bellevue Idaho

• In
      3rd of Jun, 2014

Same thing here. I run a small boutique hotel in Bogota and we had a very bad review from a guest thinking he was arriving in a Sheraton (these are his words), and very frustrated and rude since his arrival.
    We tried to make him happy, upgraded him for free even though he had a 50% discount (that we will never do again, btw) etc. and even like that he gave us a very bad grade, WHITOUT any comment, and anonymously, obviously.
    I had several email exchanges with our account manager in Bogota and it was like talking to a stubborn camel. Unfortunately, Booking.com is playing the game of the dirty competition, which means that if tomorrow my competitors want to send me a fake guest and a bad review just to put my score down, they can do it with complete tranquility...

7th of Apr, 2014

I have responded to that email from 3 days ago in great detail straight away and followed it up again yesterday, hence my post on this forum. I have not received and further emails and I am not satisfied with the outcome. Being accused a liar is defamation, especially when you can prove that you are not. This can not possibly be tolerated by the booking.com reviews team. - I don't get private massages here as I am not displaying my identity on this forum as you can see from my login names - please contact me by phone or email as you have all my details.